iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Wednesday we had this and wind to boot, the plow has been on the road 3 days keeping it cleared. Yesterday he came up 6 times at least.

What bare ground? :D :D

Just before the storm I was in the woods and there is a full 3' still between the tree rows and 2' next to the tree trunks. This is in young softwood. But I have a popple blow down area and you can literally walk across the crust and not climb over blow downs. Love being able to walk on crust, so much nicer walking in the woods. Except the areas that are a little hummocky, you gotta watch the ground more or end up on your back. :D

This is rural, farm and woods not a town. Doesn't belittle the fact roads still need blowed to get stuff done. Across rural farm community, up into the woods to cut wood, a little hamlet 40 miles from the nearest city, a subalpine stand of timber on the harvest schedule, wherever. Doesn't mean squat where it is, people still have a job to do. Some people do live up in those high snow depth areas, running ski resorts and glacial parks , hotels and people need to get in and out. Columbia ice fields resort, Chateau Lake Louise est. 1894 (4 feet of snow today - 5-1/2' on the summit) on and on. Route 1 up through the Rockies, plowed all winter.

16F here this morning, no sap today. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Hard crust? I might have some now,25°. The other day I was driving down the woods road and the turkeys was sinking down into the snow. But it was 50° than too. I have not been far from the house since last week. Brenda had knee surgery,so that is keeping us close to home. Was a big diffeance is snow,even in the woods.about ½ hour from me. Maybe Sunday we can head down to her Father's and see the no snow. :D Well the lot less snow anyways.  :D  I have some bare spots,small ones,showing up in my field. But on the edge of the field, in places,is a foot of snow. We like to go up to Rangley,about 45-60 minutes from here when the snow here is gone,and see the snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Whose doing the cook'n Ray? ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Take out. :D   Not really. She made a bunch of meals up ahead. I wished she would of cleaned the house up ahead too. :D  :D  :D And the laundry up ahead too. :D
She is house bound,kinda, and so am I. We both miss the rides. Even going down to her Father's is all she wants to do. That is just a little more than a ½ hour away.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

hmm, how long before things get desperate? :D Gotta have a little rib'n. ;)

thecfarm

Food wise,all is fine. House cleaning could be better. I have a bunch of clothes that need to be put away. Should be doing that instead of doing this. :D 
She does a lot of making things,like crafts and cards. She needs somehing to do. She has a "room" in the basement. I have to go down and find what she wants.  ::)   That don't go well most time. Either not where she thinks it is,or I bring the wrong item up and so on. ;D

Woodpecker52

Temps in 70's cloudy slight chance of rain, Dogwoods flowering majority of trees leafed out. Pine pollen in air colors it pale yellow. Snakes out, frogs, insects, butterflies, turkeys gobbling, deer no longer raiding my ivy to eat, grandkids starting baseball again, Rufus the dog wants to get up and go out at 3am to see what he can see that is creeping in the night, he hated to go out in cold weather.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

Rufus the mill boss.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

SwampDonkey

Another 6 weeks before I see that. :D :D

chevytaHOE5674

Snowed again yesterday but melted off by afternoon. Was above freezing last night with a south wind so there are a few bare spots in the fields opening up. Still lots of snow in the woods and along the fences. Spent the morning with the kid walking on top of the snow pulling the top fence wire (which is 48" above ground) loose and setting it on top of the snow to get juice flowing. Then sticking more temporary fence up on top of the snow to keep the darn critters from roaming.

SwampDonkey

A lot of ours melting today, probably half. But we are getting more tonight and might end with rain. Then more snow on Monday. :D Thermometer with sun on it shows 45F, so dock 10 degrees for actual. Standing out in the middle of a snow field with a breeze it ain't no 45F.  :D

Ianab

First hints of Autumn here. 

A dusting of snow on the Mt, and the Rugby goal posts are up on the sports ground (no more cricket)   :D

The cricket wicket is the patch of short grass between the 2 rugby fields. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Well this will be 3 out of 5, days of snow. :D

thecfarm

We have about 3 inches of new snow on the ground. Everything was looking dirty,now it's all clean looking again.

goose63

Looks like I'm putting the snow blower back on we are under a blizzzzzzard warning  >:(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

wisconsitom

Noisy thunderstorm last evening, possible snowstorm by tomorrow.  Likely heavy snow will be up by Rhinelander.

Was at tree farm yesterday and nearly all snow is gone, but ground still seems to be mostly frozen and very icy and wet.  It has rained and/or snowed a great deal there this winter.  But it is interesting to see how the Maine/ New Brunswick folks are currently buried in snow, while we are opening up in our neck of the woods....only to likely get re-buried in next few days.

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Andries

Quote from: goose63 on April 09, 2019, 07:46:43 AM
Looks like I'm putting the snow blower back on we are under a blizzzzzzard warning  >:(
We're a four hour drive North, but it looks like you Dakotans have had a DanG tough winter!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

snowstorm

5 "of snow yesterday another couple tonite. there is something wrong about plowing snow at 7 pm when its still light out. plowed the first storm nov 16 hopefully the last one tonite

SwampDonkey

Yeah we've had snow out here since mid October and stayed. The snow is still falling. When you add up what we had these last few days, it's 8" already, plus 2" to 4" tonight. Nearly a foot in 5 days. :D Deep snow melts real slow here. There is no frost depth here, the water isn't running over the farmland here at all, soaking in. There are wet spots but no creeks running down fields. Hope this spring doesn't turn bone dry in May like last two years.

Never been to the woodlot a few days because I would be butt deep in mealy snow. That stuff ruins bindings on snow shoes, especially in the mornings when froze.

lxskllr

Been hot here. 82° yesterday, and mid 70s today. It's supposed to cool down a little tomorrow, and threats of rain at the end of the week. Rain's been fairly reasonable the last month, but I'd still like to see it a bit dryer. Hopefully, we've broken out of the constant wet we had starting last spring.

Old Greenhorn

Well, I have no complaints. I know you folks up north are still dealing with the white crap, sorry, I am sure you have had enough now. Better days are coming. For us here in the Catskills, things are getting better, actually my favorite time of the year. I can get some work done in the evenings after work most nights. Tonight it was light rain and a cold front (hah, a cold front now means it is going to drop into the 30's tonight, big whoop). I shut the wood stove down on Saturday to clean out the ash and haven't bothered to start it back up. Maybe tomorrow night if it's still cool.I have been watching the yard go from mush, to firm, and back to mush again. But the big thing is that our PEEPERS ARE BACK. They are not in full bloom yet at our house, but they are doing well just 70' lower in elevation. I am expecting by Saturday they will be peeping up a storm in our yard. When the peepers are here spring is in full bloom. I love the peepers, they help me sleep at night even though they can be SO very loud when they are horny.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

@Old Greenhorn ,not fair. >:(  Peepers!! I can put up with saying the snow is gone,but when you start talking about peepers.... That's fighting words.  ;D

@snowstorm ,never thought about plowing snow at 7pm and it's still light out.
Stepson texted the wife,down on the Hallowell Augusta line and they have as much snow as I do,about 6 inches. I would of thought they would of got more rain,most times they do.
The roads was a mess tonight. Packed down snow,ice and I do mean ice.

curdog

Been having a few thunderstorms yesterday and today... and already having to turn the ac on to knock the humidity out of the house... mid to upper 70s and just below swampy...summer is on the way 

thecfarm

I would be happy if spring was on the way. :D Just the way it is this year. Has not been a good week for spring. Than all at once summer will be here. ;D  Just like we went from summer to winter. We missed fall.

snowstorm

winter is over. the cutting edges are worn out the sand is gone the salt is gone as it snows lightly

Thank You Sponsors!