Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

We have our 6" and still snowing.
~Ron

Old Greenhorn

Sorry for all you folks still dealing with the dregs of winter. We had a a nice weekend here and I got 3 loads of firewood in, which isn't bad for this old man. Running the splitter yesterday I felt like I was getting a sunburn on my neck. A very nice feeling. I think I am a month ahead on my firewood, but won't know for sure until it's done,. Weather changes and slows down the process without warning. I am so tired I am ready to hit the sack right now. Also a very nice feeling.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Rain started here around 8 last night. A light drizzle now. Feels warm outside.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bricklayer51

Our 3 to 5 inches came and went more like 8 inches but it is starting to melt now more mud

chevytaHOE5674

16° this morning. Froze up good and was able to jockey some hay around and not leave a mark anywhere.

SwampDonkey

Been a soft rain here since around 9:30 last night. Nothing washing here on bare ground so far.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The sun shines on Crawford's hill while it snows on route 11 in northern Maine. :D

That's probably 25 miles away. Direct across on a westerly bearing brings you out around Masardis, Maine.

Been squally all day off and on, then sun, then shake it up and do it again. :D :D Too warm to stick on the ground, but only in the 30's. No heat wave this week. ;) Still lots of snow around, so don't think we are getting ahead of any of you Michiganlanders. :D :D

Well, I wouldn't dare show the bare field below the house, you'd think we were planting taters. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

goose63

50s and 60s this week maybe it will dry up so I can get to milling soon :)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

wisconsitom

Heavy rain and t-storms up where my tree farm is today.  Should help to get last of frost out of ground/melt remaining snow patches.  I may be able to stick hybrid aspen cuttings this weekend.  Going to warm up into 60s F for a decent stretch.

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

SwampDonkey

Probably get into the 50's today, full sun shine. Was up to the woods this morning,  still lots of snow. Seen an old set of moose tracks in the snow, he was on the road. One hare, turning brown to. Going to rain Thursday-Sunday here, but sounds more like showers. Maybe I can get my summer blanket woven off. Been putting up some new blinds on the porch for summer. Had put same up last summer, but decided I needed 3 more to keep the sun out of my eyes. :D

thecfarm

Lots of sun today. Rained a little the other day and than the wind,and I do mean wind! 50° feels good. Still snow in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Had to dig more of them parsnip this afternoon for Easter dinner. Good stuff. :) Them things are pricey in the store for 3 or 4 in a small bag. DOH!! I should sell mine for $5 for 2, got a lot more taste. :D

SwampDonkey

If Monday is decent weather, I will be transplanting raspberries. :)

SwampDonkey

Tom, much like your about to undertake with your planting project on your woodlot, I always started planting as soon as I could get a dibble bar or shovel in the ground. Some times there was some snow around or a pocket of frost here and there. Best for the trees, and good survival rates.:)

Ron Scott

Some heavy rains this afternoon got rid of most of the snow, but now a  muddy woods.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Starting out sunny here, but the rain is coming. 2-3" from now 'til Sunday and a warm one. That'll move some snow and river ice. The other day was close to 2 feet of snow in the woods, the odd tree getting bare around the stump, most not.

wisconsitom

Yup Swamp, the earlier the better.  I always find myself out "doing" before most of the season has woken up yet.  For instance, those 6000 spruce and pine I finished spraying two weekends ago...heh, slipping on ice between those tall, shading spruce trees, 3 gallons of spray on my back.  Very glad always to get going.

Here in this town, 60 miles south of my woods/plantation, we had just a half-inch of rain out of this.  Up at farm, inch and  a half.  That should actually help drive out any remaining frost etc.  My only worry is that I need to soak my cuttings in water before planting and I would not want to get up there and find ground still frozen and my cuttings in a pail of water.  Hope that doesn't happen!

Otherwise, a down year for tree planting.  I've got mega-projects to handle outside of this arena so took a year off on major planting.  We get up to 60F this weekend!

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Old Greenhorn

Well its warming, but they say either rain or the threat of rain all weekend. I have to get my firewood done, so I may just string a tarp over the splitter/bucking area. Lost a 70' 18" DBH maple in the storm cell that came through at 3am Monday. That was a keeper, but now I'll get 3-4 saw logs out of it and the rest is firewood. Pulled up the whole root platter. Mid 60's coming through the weekend will make the rain a little more tolerable. Spring is pretty much here now. The heavy rains will be next.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 18, 2019, 08:32:30 AMPulled up the whole root platter
Be careful when you cut that free!

Supposed to be mid- to upper-80's here for a couple days.  Which means mid-70's up on my cabin project.  Hopefully that will put a dent in the 8-10 feet of snow up there.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 18, 2019, 10:58:53 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 18, 2019, 08:32:30 AMPulled up the whole root platter
Be careful when you cut that free!
Yeah, I am looking forward to that. I have a plan, might shoot a video. I expect, given the ground conditions, that it will flop right back down. There is a full 8 inches of water in the hole now. Should make quite a show when it hits. ;D ;D :D :)

curdog

Thunderstorms and tornado watches  today... mid 60s,  only mid 50s tomorrow and mid 80s by the beginning of the week....spring is definitely a rollercoaster 

thecfarm

Warm here today,almost muggy.
I dug out a rock yesterday!!! Hauled off one big one,but had to leave it on the edge of the woods road. Still about 4 inches of snow where I wanted the rock to go.

chevytaHOE5674

An inch of rain the last 2 days and cold temps. Was 22° this morning.

The radio said we broke a record for the longest stretch without officially hitting 60°. It's been 197 days since we last officially saw 60°, and depending on the wind off the lake tomorrow it could be 10 more days looking at the forecast.

SwampDonkey

Earth worms came out of the ground in last night's rain. :) Like I said before we have no ground frost at all. Was 40F all night and got to 58 today, but no rain during daylight and the sun actually came out after dinner for awhile. And that 58 did feel muggy for sure, with just a long sleeve shirt and on a walk. Did see a grouse fly across the road in front of me by the brook, we call Grammy Adair brook.

thecfarm

I noticed the muggy weather too. :o  A light rain now.
Would like to head up to Rangley area and see the snow. But Brenda's knee operation will hold us back from doing that. Hard to be in a car for 3-4 hours. There is always next year!!

Thank You Sponsors!