iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: The weather 2019

Started by SwampDonkey, January 01, 2019, 04:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Looks like the rain settled in here and turned cold, 35F. Was warmer before daylight. Might get some furries mixed in later. ;D

Been aspen and willow pollen floating around, mother gets plugged up walking out doors.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Still wet out. Most times only a light mist,what seems like a ½ hour and than stops for a few hours and than back to a ½ of mist. Just enough to keep things wet. Foggy out now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yep, and nothing overnight, but by 9:00 am it has resumed with showers and periods of rain and periods of dry. Gonna do it for 3 more days. Cold rain. I believe up on the northern tip there could be 4-6" of snow coming. ;)

I did get the manure on the raspberries this morning and the mulch pulled back over top.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Yesterday I got the grapes moved. I dug a grave and filled then with rooted cuttings. Whatever comes to life will be it. I mixed good sheep manure with the soil. I won't mulch until I see signs of things happening.

I've had these for 30 years. It's time to do something with them. Hopefully they grow. ;)

SwampDonkey

Today I transplanted the rhubarb. They were growing out on the perimeter of my property and have been there over 100 years. I got some good big clumps of buds there, some covered in manure. :)

A bud

I also lengthened the main garden another 10 feet on the far end and spread manure.

We're suppose to get up to 2" of rain tonight and tomorrow. We'll see. Good to soak in the new transplants. Not so good for southern NB already floating in water.

goose63

Had to light the wood stove this morning it was down to 35  >:(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

lxskllr

low sixties today, with intermittent rain and sun. Had a tornado warning, but didn't see any tornadoes. Not sure how I feel about that. I'd love to see a tornado, but kind of off to the side, not up close and personal.

Vine cutting has been a little disappointing. I need about six more of me, and preferably a couple of mes will like hot weather. I chainsawed a bunch of big ones over the winter which was a help, but I missed some, and the smaller vines are sprouting up all over. Feels like I've accomplished almost nothing for the many hours I've put into this project.

I did find some semi feral bleeding hearts in the woods near the house, which was kinda cool. Also found a couple oak seedlings amongst the pines, maples, and numerous sweet gum that seems to be competing with the vines for domination. I need to take flagging with me, and mark the nice trees I find, and try to take care them. Been trying to save the ferns, wineberry, and other interesting plants I find. The sweet gum's staying for the time being also, but once I get the real pests under control, I'll try to thin them out. It all looks great in my head. Just need to make reality match...

chevytaHOE5674

38° today and a 45mph wind coming across the icebergs of the lake made it feel in the 20s outside. Possible snow over the weekend. 

chet

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on April 26, 2019, 09:02:05 PM
38° today and a 45mph wind coming across the icebergs of the lake made it feel in the 20s outside. Possible snow over the weekend.
Dat's why da wife and I spent da day makin' firewood, seemed appropriate.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chevytaHOE5674

Figure I got 4 weeks of wood left, hopefully by then I can let the stove go out and use a heavy blanket when needed. Lol

SwampDonkey

I never shut down the stove until June 15th most every year. Need a smudge a day to keep the chill off. 45 to 55 degrees is still cold sitting in the living room. :D Except last year when it was 92 F the day I dug the foundations and on my birthday as it turned out. Didn't need no heat that day. :D

Most appropriate Chet. Dad cut firewood year around to heat home, grandmother's and two potato houses. The house used wood for the kitchen and the furnace and gram used wood for kitchen stove. These old houses had big woodsheds. The potato houses had no woodsheds but never took much heat, just for around the doors. The potatoes didn't want to be warmer than 45 to keep good. Kinda like root cellars. The old sheds were built into mud banks with a hip barn roof. The good old days. :D

Never forget the time I went to visit an old timer about travelling across his land to get to another lot. He had several woodsheds in the yard stuffed full, and several cords around the farm all stacked neat and he was in the house where the wife was cook'n dinner over a wood stove. This was July. I could tell the old guy was suffering from all the heat. And probably wood cut'n. :D

Old Greenhorn

I shut the stove down a couple of weeks ago to clean it and never re-started. I still haven't cleaned it either.  ;D I let the oil take over. It's been rainy, drippy, dam, snotty here since last Saturday. I know we had a nice day in there somewhere, but don't remember it much. The rain passed over finally at around 5:30 this morning. Planning to hit it hard today. It should be overcast and in the 40's. I have a new saw to try out and wood to haul and stack. Think I need abut 2 cords to finish up. Here's hoping for a solid work day with no bumps in the road.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Chuck White

Very odd here today, after having 50&60° days, this morning we have a little snow mixed with light rain and only 36°!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Sounds like typical spring April 15-June 15, lows of 30, highs of 70 with a couple 90's thrown in. :D

46F here now and wind driven rain. :D

chevytaHOE5674

26° and frozen this morning. 

thecfarm

chevy,I feel sorry for you.
Rain here,hard rain in the night. Those places that only run in the spring time are moving now!!!  Looks more like spring now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

So far today I have been rained on, sleeted on, snowed on, and now the sun is out and it's raining again. Spring in the Catskills, 20 miels west of here i think they have steady snow. Gotta love it. ;D :D :) >:(
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

lxskllr

~~~W~~I~~N~~D~~Y~~~> and cool. Pleasant day, but my laundry keeps blowing off the line. Not the first time this year. I need to either find my clothespins, or make some new ones. I'm not gonna spend money, even if a small amount on something I already have somewhere, and I have a virtually unlimited supply of wood.

SwampDonkey

Rained here off and on and at times heavy. I'm sure the new planted stock is well soaked. :D

Drove up the end of the road to see how the melting is doing on the woods road. Still snow in the woods section. I never left the pavement to inspect closer, but can see a good 1/2 mile from the pavement that the snow is still in the road. ;)

Waiting for maps, supposedly the boss wants some ground marked this week. Any ground outside of the river valley I'm sure has as much snow left as here or more. We'll see. :)

SwampDonkey

Got my paper maps and digitized some perimeters for the GPS, so all ready for marking out blocks tomorrow. Hopefully, there is some sun. :D

Off to another thinning season. Seems early for a long winter. On the ground just as soon as last year. 8)

dgdrls

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 27, 2019, 03:54:43 PM
So far today I have been rained on, sleeted on, snowed on, and now the sun is out and it's raining again. Spring in the Catskills, 20 miels west of here i think they have steady snow. Gotta love it. ;D :D :) >:(
Had the same in Central NY, 
 most of the river gauges in NY are not too high,
The spring freshet seems to be reasonable for us so far.
D

thecfarm

A cold morning,but almost 50 now. Much better. Cloudy,as always.

chevytaHOE5674

25° this morning. Up to 40° now but the north wind is cold. Snow on the way tonight they say.

SwampDonkey

Only got to 42F here today, but it was 40F at daylight. No sun, except now it is barely breaking away this evening. Was showers all day west of here, could see it on the hills around route 11 in Maine. Was in Presque Isle, Maine today so can verify it. :D

Old Greenhorn

38 at sunrise today. Damp rainy, drizzle, snotty. Got up and held around 45 most of the day but not pleasant by any means. The wind we had testerday is gone. I skidded up a few logs and worked up a sweat but still had a chill in my back. Went and did some shop work and home chores. We got about .15 inches of rain so far today, just enough to make it unpleasant. Clear for tomorrow, more rain Tuesday.
 It takes a lot for me to throw in the towel for the day, but by 3pm I had enough, came in, took my boots off and put on my slippers. Now I am thinking of using the neighbors hot tub and taking a shower to warm up.

Thank You Sponsors!