Sponsors:

The Greenhorn's initial sawing season 2019-20

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 06, 2019, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on November 21, 2019, 08:10:32 PM
@Old Greenhorn ,  Well then I'll race yah. :D
OK, it's a deal. But I don't plan on that until late summer next year at best. I am in a rural suburban area. Eve though some of my neighbors seem to have a reason to run leaf blower or circular saws at 10pm, I don't feel right doing that, so I will need the lights when the sun sets too early in the fall. I figure I may have the mill setup and running again by mid-December, then milling lumber for the loft, then hopefully working on the loft Christmas week, then we will be in the dead of winter pretty much, so not much until next season. Dead of winter means mostly shop projects with the occasional mill job on a warm sunny weekend. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

Most likely I won't get to it either til summer, to do it right I would need to trench a line and put a pole by the mill. Likely I will just check if my 100 ft extension cord reaches from the west end of the cattle shed up hil from my mill. If it's good then I just need to run an outlet down to that end, it's already wired, that barn  on the project list for some foundation repairs and board and batten siding. Hoping to get there next year. Saturday morning I should be able to cut a little wood, and the weather will be decent. 8)

ManjiSann

Looks like you had a very productive day! 

There's some nice coloring on some of those boards. 

It seems like often people want flawless boards with uniform coloring, I like it when there's character to it and odd coloring. Then I can look at the boards and wonder why it is the way it is and what the tree experienced to cause such things... or it's a Rorschach test and I'm in trouble  ;D

Looking forward to pics of the loft as it progresses! 

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Old Greenhorn

The loft is at least a month off, probably two. I have to at least accumulate the framing lumber first, and with the mill move, that will come to a halt for a while. I need logs. There are a couple I can collect, but I am also working and getting some dropped off.
 I like color and figure too, but I don't have any fancy trees. This maple is about as exciting as it gets. Mostly I have RO, WO (very little), Ash, and maple. Almost all of it is straight grained and a little boring.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

btulloh

HM126

ManjiSann

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 22, 2019, 12:57:57 PM
The loft is at least a month off, probably two. I have to at least accumulate the framing lumber first, and with the mill move, that will come to a halt for a while. I need logs. There are a couple I can collect, but I am also working and getting some dropped off.
I like color and figure too, but I don't have any fancy trees. This maple is about as exciting as it gets. Mostly I have RO, WO (very little), Ash, and maple. Almost all of it is straight grained and a little boring.
Nothing wrong with any of that :) You have logs, that's the most important part!
That darn work thing always interupts the fun doesn't it :D
Brandon 

Old Greenhorn

Well it was another good day, but not without incident. ;D  I was out a a music gig last night late, so didn't really get my butt in gear until about 7:30 and got right to work, didn't even make coffee. I had some slabs laying about that were thick enough to make 5/4 flooring boards out of, so I sized them and edged them. I am doing random widths in 2" increments. 4,6,8 and maybe 10". I finished those after a LOT of handling to salvage what I could and flat stacked them. I got right to the breakdown. I took off the end section of track and backed up the trailer, then dropped the tailgate and put the rack back on. This gave me a ramp to run the head up on the trailer with. That head is a LOT heavier than I remember!
 I think you can make out the setup in this shot.

I got it loaded with some effort. Then put on 2 sections of track, some of the support timbers and whatever loose odds and ends were laying around. I was working pretty quick trying to make time. No chair time today at all, just stopped to catch my breath and consider the next step.
 It was a pretty heavy load going up the hill and the Mule was working hard. I didn't take many photos today. But here she sits behind the shop, pretty much lined up with where it will live from now on.

I left the trailer right there and went back down and figured out how to get the rest of it up. You can read about that run in the "I did a Dumb Thing Today' thread. SO the whole mill is now moved and sitting in pieces. Re-bedding and resetting starts tomorrow. This is full week ahead of when I thought I would move it. I had hoped to have it cutting again by mid-December, but maybe I can beat that too. I still have a bunch of lumber down there to haul up, but I need to clean the trailer off first and set up a place to stack and sticker it up here. I am looking forward to getting into cutting the framing wood.
 Here's a photo showing about where the mill will mind up. The mill bed will run the length of that block wall, 24'.

I am shot. The fella that took the surplus cabinet came by this evening to pick it up and we both busted a hump getting it on his trailer. When he was leaving he asked if I was needing anything he might have to trade. Half joking I told him I was looking for a planer I could buy cheap or borrow for a couple of weekends to plane my floorboards. He said he had a 220v 12" if that would do. Perfect I said, we'll keep in touch. ;D :)
 Tomorrow we are expecting rain, so I am not sure what I will get done. Here's hoping, but I have a feeling I will be pretty sore in the morning.

ManjiSann

Looking good and making progress! 

Glad you and the mule are ok. Always a bit of a sphincter pucker moment when a load shifts  :o :o

Brandon 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: ManjiSann on November 24, 2019, 09:52:28 AM
Looking good and making progress!

Glad you and the mule are ok. Always a bit of a sphincter pucker moment when a load shifts  :o :o

Brandon
"Shifts"?  :D ;D Yeah, that's what happened. It shifted. In fact it 'shifted' from the back of the Mule cab to 30' back down the hill.  ;D It was a real 
'shift show' all right! ;D Just glad the gas can landed on it's feet. That would have been messy.
 Well, I just got back from Home Despot. they didn't have the ones (cement blocks) I wanted but I got the same size (4x8x16") in a cheaper hollow block. I can tell you that the fork lift class they must use at that store could use some pepping up. :D Because of the heavy rain, town was dead and there were few customers in the store. Not a normal Sunday. I wanted to get there by 7:30 but a neighbor was without heat, so I went and fixed that (again). Got to the store at 9 and asked for help to get the pallet of block down from the shelf. After 15 minutes a guy comes by (he works in paint and is the very same guy who, 2 months ago told me they don't sell 2 part epoxy and never have, while it was on the shelf 15' away from him.) SO he says to me, "we have ladders so you can get to the second shelf stuff, y'know?" I look at him, look at the block, look back at him, and think "OK, I am going to have to make 24 trips up and down carrying these blocks, fine". SO I said OK, where are the ladders? He says "I don't know, they should be here, let me see if I can find one." !0 minutes later he comes back and tells me to wait. Then he comes back with another guy and tells him what we are going to do, then he goes to get a forklift. Then he catches the pallet on everything he can before he gets it down. Finally get the block, pay for it, and get it loaded. SHeesh!
 On the way home I thought I would buy a nice breakfast in a diner as a treat. I found out where everybody in town was. Every diner parking lot was packed. Finally found one and had a good meal. Got home, unloaded the  block in a downpour and am now happily soaked. Gonna take a breather for a bit, then start some shop work. This rain is steady and the radar shows it means to be here for a while. Heavy wet snow coming down like crazy just 15 miles west of here. I bet Barge is getting clobbered one way or the other, I hope he isn't working in this. (But he probably is so he can pay for that skidder tire  ;D )

ManjiSann

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 24, 2019, 11:51:16 AMWell, I just got back from Home Despot. they didn't have the ones (cement blocks) I wanted but I got the same size (4x8x16") in a cheaper hollow block. I can tell you that the fork lift class they must use at that store could use some pepping up. :D Because of the heavy rain, town was dead and there were few customers in the store. Not a normal Sunday. I wanted to get there by 7:30 but a neighbor was without heat, so I went and fixed that (again). Got to the store at 9 and asked for help to get the pallet of block down from the shelf. After 15 minutes a guy comes by (he works in paint and is the very same guy who, 2 months ago told me they don't sell 2 part epoxy and never have, while it was on the shelf 15' away from him.) SO he says to me, "we have ladders so you can get to the second shelf stuff, y'know?" I look at him, look at the block, look back at him, and think "OK, I am going to have to make 24 trips up and down carrying these blocks, fine". SO I said OK, where are the ladders? He says "I don't know, they should be here, let me see if I can find one." !0 minutes later he comes back and tells me to wait. Then he comes back with another guy and tells him what we are going to do, then he goes to get a forklift. Then he catches the pallet on everything he can before he gets it down. Finally get the block, pay for it, and get it loaded. SHeesh!

I was always told by employees those ladders were employee only due to liability... sounds like you got some quality help at your local HD  ::) ::) 

Some days you win, some days you get "quality" help.  ;D

Brandon

WDH

Just think, if you fall on hard times and lose your job, you can always work at Home Depot ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WDH on November 24, 2019, 05:54:56 PM
Just think, if you fall on hard times and lose your job, you can always work at Home Depot ;D.
Well, I never say never. But for now um, yeah, no thanks. ;D

Old Greenhorn

You folks should pray for me, or more importantly, my marriage.  ;D
 I did take a break this morning, then had lunch and went out to the shop and did some cleaning and moved a small machine to give me access to where one of the loft posts will go. I also measured out and cut the wall board off a section where another post will marry up. The I sat on a stool for a while and ruminated a bit. It was late afternoon'ish so I came in. Next thing I knew I was perusing C/L and other sources for compact tractors and/or skid steers or what ever else that I might be able to afford on a small budget. I did a lot of looking and researched all the machines that were new to me. I dream of getting something I can do log lifting with as well as a little grading and moving dirt/stone. In other words, fill all the gaps I have here for work I could do cheap if I had the machine. I looked at broken down stuff I could fix and use (my favorite way of getting stuff I can't afford) and I looked at stuff with financing (would need a true business plan for that).
 My concern here is that this is EXACTLY how the sawmill thing happened. But a machine will cost a lot more than the mill did. No way can I go into debt over this. Yet I keep looking. I can't stop myself. I think I need an intervention, maybe.
 My wife, needless to say, is not too thrilled with the idea. I am going to TRY to keep this low key and just keep my eyes open for that special deal that comes through an oddball route, like a friend or a friend, or seeing something on a roadside (that's how I found the Mule, in pieces).

Now that I am talking this through, maybe you guys are not the correct focus group to get me off this track of distraction. ;D
 But I sure would love to have a machine around here.

WDH

If you intend to sawmill, you are going to have to break down and do it.  You just have to figure out how.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ManjiSann

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 24, 2019, 09:14:00 PM
You folks should pray for me, or more importantly, my marriage.  ;D
I did take a break this morning, then had lunch and went out to the shop and did some cleaning and moved a small machine to give me access to where one of the loft posts will go. I also measured out and cut the wall board off a section where another post will marry up. The I sat on a stool for a while and ruminated a bit. It was late afternoon'ish so I came in. Next thing I knew I was perusing C/L and other sources for compact tractors and/or skid steers or what ever else that I might be able to afford on a small budget. I did a lot of looking and researched all the machines that were new to me. I dream of getting something I can do log lifting with as well as a little grading and moving dirt/stone. In other words, fill all the gaps I have here for work I could do cheap if I had the machine. I looked at broken down stuff I could fix and use (my favorite way of getting stuff I can't afford) and I looked at stuff with financing (would need a true business plan for that).
My concern here is that this is EXACTLY how the sawmill thing happened. But a machine will cost a lot more than the mill did. No way can I go into debt over this. Yet I keep looking. I can't stop myself. I think I need an intervention, maybe.
My wife, needless to say, is not too thrilled with the idea. I am going to TRY to keep this low key and just keep my eyes open for that special deal that comes through an oddball route, like a friend or a friend, or seeing something on a roadside (that's how I found the Mule, in pieces).

Now that I am talking this through, maybe you guys are not the correct focus group to get me off this track of distraction. ;D
But I sure would love to have a machine around here.
This sounds all too familiar from my life. I have a shoestring budget but I really need to afford the whole shoe, now how do I do that? 
"Don't worry about it dear, I'll just get some firewood for free..." three chainsaws later  ;D  
Maybe we need to form a support group or something "Hi, my name is Brandon and my CSM addiction (bandmill addiction) has led me to buy..."
Seriously though, if you really need it and you keep looking and stay open to possibilities something seems to come along eventually.
Brandon 

doc henderson

you know I can afford some stuff so I apologize for jumping in, but I still have to run big stuff by the CFO.  I do not charge but I allow people (when it is not a gift from me to them), to donate to my polyurethane fund.  try to at least break even.  if you get a hunk of metal and fix it up, maybe sell it and get something better as time goes on, and it pays for itself or more.  make the CFO happy.  you do a lot of charity.  you deserve it.  might check in with @Southside , he seems to get away with all kinds of stuff! :D :D :D.  @Old Greenhorn @ManjiSann 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

@Old Greenhorn  The best thing I ever bought was a really worn Massey 85 tractor from an old neighbor client of mine. I found a wide front end for it as well as an original Massey loader, It was two wheel drive but got me by for a few years til I traded for my current tractor. It was a godsend a t the time. He sold it to me on contract I paid it a little at a time as I could on it. So yes I went into a little debt but came out a little ahead at the end. A small Ford, Yanmar, or older Kubota in the 30 horse range would do a whole bunch for you. Especially with some pallet forks.  After you retire  you could probably pick up some side work with it. Sorry not much help talking you back but my wife agrees with me we couldn't go back to not having one.

Old Greenhorn

My concern is that this is how I get into everything, I start thinking, then investigating, then going to 'just take a look, no harm in that right?" Next thing you know....
 I looked for a Mule for over a year, then I saw that one laying in the weeds in pieces. I knocked on the door and threw out an offer and they took it. The mill I found on a lark, just perusing C/L and borrowed some money for it.
 I think I will wait until I have all my other ducks in a row before I get more serious about a machine so that I have a working system in pace to earn some money to pay for it. That will likely take until next summer, at least. In the meantime I will keep my eyes open for that special deal. I have a rough plan, I just have to stick with it. All things in due time.
 To be fair, my wife now looks at the Mule as part of the household requirement, so there is that. It has earned it's place as a necessary tool around the place. I am hoping the same thing will happen with whatever I get next.

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on November 25, 2019, 09:17:34 AM
you know I can afford some stuff so I apologize for jumping in, but I still have to run big stuff by the CFO.  I do not charge but I allow people (when it is not a gift from me to them), to donate to my polyurethane fund.  try to at least break even.  if you get a hunk of metal and fix it up, maybe sell it and get something better as time goes on, and it pays for itself or more.  make the CFO happy.  you do a lot of charity.  you deserve it.  might check in with @Southside , he seems to get away with all kinds of stuff! :D :D :D.  @Old Greenhorn @ManjiSann
The chicken population will be impacted  ;D ;D ;D
Brandon 

Southside

One good thing about older iron is that the depreciation is gone out of it.  As long as it's not all bubble gum welded together and you are half way mechanically inclined then it has been my experience that you can do just fine with the type of equipment we are talking about here.  The labor savings alone pays off for the machine - I have no idea how I ever managed to run any part of the mill operation without my Lull for example.  Bought it cheap, had a few immediate fixes to address and have taken care of several more along the way but I knew that getting it and it has done more for me than I could ever imagine.  Fix the leaks, tweaks, and creaks on an older tractor, use it to do your work, throw on some sin-hider along the way and you will sell it for more than you paid for it down the road and get something faster/bigger/nicer should you need it.  

No chickens were harmed in the making of this post.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ManjiSann

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 25, 2019, 09:53:00 AM
My concern is that this is how I get into everything, I start thinking, then investigating, then going to 'just take a look, no harm in that right?" Next thing you know....
I looked for a Mule for over a year, then I saw that one laying in the weeds in pieces. I knocked on the door and threw out an offer and they took it. The mill I found on a lark, just perusing C/L and borrowed some money for it.
I think I will wait until I have all my other ducks in a row before I get more serious about a machine so that I have a working system in pace to earn some money to pay for it. That will likely take until next summer, at least. In the meantime I will keep my eyes open for that special deal. I have a rough plan, I just have to stick with it. All things in due time.
To be fair, my wife now looks at the Mule as part of the household requirement, so there is that. It has earned it's place as a necessary tool around the place. I am hoping the same thing will happen with whatever I get next.
I think the important thing is you're aware of the financial ramifications and you're trying to figure out how to do it without negatively impacting your family. It's a frustrating place to be  :( :(

I really wanted a bigger chainsaw but told myself I wouldn't buy it unless the "hobby" started to pay for itself or I could save my meager allowance to pay for it. I had my eye on a new Echo large CC model as it was closer to my price range than any of the Husky or Stihls. Little by little neighbors payed me to remove some trees, I sold one of the other saws and bought the used Husky. I ended up with a fixer upper but I can afford sweat equity a lot easier than actual cash so I don't mind. 

Something will eventually come along that will fit your situation, the hard part (for me at least) is being patient until it does. But once it does it's pretty incredible  :) :) 

My wife didn't used to like my truck but now she's more interested in upgrading to a bigger one than I am at times. It's funny how things evolve  ;D ;D

Brandon 

Nebraska

Your wife will soon see it's value seeing the things you accomplish with it.  I agree with @Southside  as long as it hasn't been abused much it should be fine. Most acerage tractors I see mostly mow weeds ,maybe run a little tiller or plow a garden,  push snow, and maybe level a little dirt here and there. Probably don't get 200 hrs a year on them. You are pretty mechanically inclined anyway.  Set your mill up, make a little rat hole money and something will happen.  

Southside

There is a difference between neglect and abuse when it comes to equipment, neglect you can usually overcome with sweat equity, a few hours study at youtube university, and determination.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Well, my wife didn't go into screaming mode when I mentioned it at dinner the other night, she just asked 'about how much would that cost' and I told her 'too much right now' She said it would have to wait a bit, etc. After 43 years of marriage, she knows fairly well what will happen eventually. She is the CFO in the house anyway so....
 Yeah, I will just keep my eyes open. I did find a few machines that were either free or nearly so, but they were pretty trashed and would become a full time job, and a money pit at the same time to get running. So I passed them on by. I will just keep my ear to the ground and work the plan as it is. I actually have a pretty good new idea for log loading now that the mill be be on flatter ground wherein I make a ramp to roll the logs on, then jack up the ramp so that the logs roll onto the mill bed. This would be a pretty cheap build too. It's not as much of a burning issue as I might think it is.

Thank You Sponsors!