iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I don't know that I've ever had a loquat, do put up a pic.  Is the taste similar?, same skin reaction? Apparently with mangos if you are sensitive even handling the rind can cause a rash, the meat is fine just the skin has whatever the chemical is.

caveman

I do not have any loquat fruit pics.  They have been gone here for a month or so.  They are more cold tolerant than the mango so someone north of here may be able to post pics of the fruit as it may still be in season.  The loquat fruits are quite a bit smaller than a golf ball and usually have two or three brown seeds.  The fruit is fuzzy like a peach and is textured and tastes a little like a peach.  The mango has one, large seed about three to four inches long.
Caveman

LeeB

Much off topic, but mangoes make an excellent wine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

caveman

Today's tree of the day.

Caveman

ellmoe

Quote from: caveman on May 24, 2019, 06:59:17 PM
 They are more cold tolerant than the mango so someone north of here may be able to post pics of the fruit as it may still be in season.  
Fruit has been gone for a couple of weeks "up" here. Bumper crop this year , very tasty!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Note that the terminal leaflet is aborted.  This is a distinctive characteristic of this species, separating it from its kin. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Southside

Is that nut the lumber on your wall?  And how did you ever clamp down that "log" to get that mantle out of it?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I wish that you had a sample of the sapwood.  It would be easier to identify.....well for some folks anyway.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

firefighter ontheside

Does it have an oriental name?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Don P

More of a Stuckey's name :)

WDH

The inner bark is bright yellow.  The pore structure is semi-ring porous.  A dye used to made from the fruit involucre :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

LOL, I better back up, black walnut

btulloh

"The fruit has been gone for a couple weeks . . ."  ??? That throws me.

HM126

Southside

Quote from: WDH on May 25, 2019, 08:34:12 PM
The inner bark is bright yellow.  The pore structure is semi-ring porous.  A dye used to made from the fruit involucre :).
And the first time you saw it the sap wood and sawdust will go from white to blue, to green, and make you wonder just how badly you have ruined said "highly valuable" lumber.   ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

caveman

The tree of the day for 5/25 was black walnut (Juglans nigra).  Many recognized it right away.  WDH pointed out on this thread and another that the terminal leaflet of the black walnut leaf is aborted (absent).  If it is present, it will generally be smaller than the others and misshapen.  

Today's tree of the day (up late tonight) ...

Caveman

Ljohnsaw

Something in the Juniper family?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

caveman

Not in the Juniper family but it is a conifer that lacks fire tolerance.  
Caveman

WDH

That is why you find it growing in alluvial swamps or in the water.  Also very long lived.  Even a small one only 10 - 12" in diameter can be hundreds of years old.  It has a much larger cousin that has two ranked leaves and can grow to over 10' in diameter.  The heartwood is very decay resistant.  One of the few deciduous conifers.  I was looking at some of the lumber and a red headed woodpecker pecked me.  

Southside

Cypress Somekindofous? 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

But did I say butt?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Butt.... Wait a minute: question on the walnut, do farmers outside of California graft on the black root  stock for better nut bearing ?

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

nativewolf

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 26, 2019, 10:35:40 AM
Butt.... Wait a minute: question on the walnut, do farmers outside of California graft on the black root  stock for better nut bearing ?
Not really farmed on east coast for some reason so we don't get the graft stock.  The clario you show pics of that cause so much drooling.. is not grown.  Perhaps in TX they could pull that off.  
For us it is black walnut and the fruit is sold but rarely in organized orchards like in CA, just a niche product.  Hard to shell the eastern black walnut but it is very tasty.
Liking Walnut

tule peak timber

The big nut top stock out here is from Persia, so I've read. The nuts from claro( J.Hindsii) are thick walled , small, and super tasty. I just missed out on a nongrafted orchard taken down due to age. The owner was selling exclusively to See's candy. I don't remember exactly the numbers but the logs went for something like 5 or 10 K-bucks each.  OUCH

Thank You Sponsors!