iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Cows really like the ping pong ball sized acorns so one of the common names is Cow Oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Going backards, well I stepped out the door to grab a pick of a different chestnut oak but squirreled and saw the blooms on eastern hophornbeam so here it is. I pushed the sharpness on the image shrinker so hopefully you can see the hopping veins near the edges on the vertical leaf. That's cool, I didn't know that.

caveman

Good picture, DonP.  The pubescence is also easy to see in your picture.
Caveman

caveman

Today's tree of the day is an alien cousin of one we saw not too long ago.  The wood from this tree is used to make tea chests and the tree has several medicinal uses.
Caveman

DelawhereJoe

I'll go with Chinese sweet gum on this one
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

DelawareJoe got it right off the bat. Chinese Sweetgum (Liquidambar formosana). 
Caveman

lxskllr

I was on the right track. Thought it looked gum-like, but I'm not familiar with Chinese Sweetgum.

I've been enjoying this thread. My tree ID skills are pretty poor beyond the basics. I sometimes have to locate trees at work, and if the name doesn't come to me, it gets labeled as a "Tiswood", as in 24" Tiswood  :^P

caveman

Tomorrow's tree of the day an hour early.  
Caveman

Texas Ranger

off the top of my head, I think green

WDH

Down this way, green is more common.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

:D This one might cause discussion between Southside and WDH about opposite branching  ;).
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Don P

ain't touching that with a 10 foot burnt up stick.

Woodpecker52

Green or Carolina ASH .
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

I have a few of these trees on my property which I protect as they are  usually not found in this area.  I know what they are do you have an idea also.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

caveman

WoodPecker, Looks like Acer floridanum or Florida Maple.  There are not many that I know of this far south.  I need to plant one at my place.

Today's tree of the day was a Green Ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica)
Caveman

Woodpecker52

Bingo,  they seem to be understory only and do not get much bigger than this one, usually under oaks, sapsuckers and yellowhammers love to drill the trunks,  I am on the loess bluffs just off the delta so I have some unusual ones like American beech, ironwood, elms, ash, sassafras.

WDH

Florida maple is a hard maple like sugar maple.  Note that the leaf margins are not toothed between the lobes.  The soft maples are. 

caveman

Monday's tree of the day.  The leaf is smooth, both top and bottom.  The tree blooms with small, white flowers in the springtime.  The trees' trunks are usually spiral grained and do not make nearly as good of lumber as its close relative does.
Caveman

WDH

Twigs have strong odor when broken or bruised.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on June 24, 2019, 07:31:45 AMTwigs have strong odor when broken or bruised
So do I.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Smells just like cherry cola.  No one wants to go out on a limb on this one?  It has "fill in the state" teeth.  Some are there and some are missing.
Caveman

Southside

Seems nobody's knowledge base is rooted deep enough to branch out this far.  Ok I will lumber out the door and leaf now.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

hmm, wished I was in Carolina

WDH

I prunused one one (Tom) time. 

Thank You Sponsors!