iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seeking advice: Green EWP

Started by YulanJane, May 10, 2019, 07:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YulanJane

Hi all!  I'm new here and new to lumber knowledge, so please excuse any "green" mistakes!  We just bought a cottage in upstate New York with about 8 massive (+100', we estimate) Eastern White Pines that we love but are going to have to take down -- they are fall risks since storms have made the ground softer over the years and there's some evidence that a couple might have some pest issues.  

We would love to be able to use the lumber from these trees in remodeling the cottage (replacing the linoleum and carpeting with wood floors, adding decorative beams and shiplap, maybe using the lumber to rehab our deck, and the like).  

My main question is about drying:  Is it silly to think that we might be able to use the pine with little to no drying time?  In my research and reading on this site, it appears that EWP doesn't shrink much in drying, and kerfing might assist with any checking that the wood would be susceptible to.  I imagine mold might be an issue though.  

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

tmbrcruiser

Find a kiln in your area and don't cut any corners on drying time. You  will regret putting green lumber inside your cottage.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

For interior millwork, flooring, etc., you need to dry the wood as soon as you saw it for the best, lightest color.  Even then, some of the pieces from the butt log will be bacterial infected and will not dry well...slow, cracks, etc.  so, find a kiln, or trade your green lumber for 90% - 80% of the footage of KD lumber.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

YulanJane

This is great info, thank you both! I'll certainly be looking into that trade option— these trees are going to put out a lot more lumber than our little cottage needs.

Thank You Sponsors!