iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parbuckle equipment

Started by dgdrls, May 18, 2019, 05:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Need some input, I'm working out a system to parbuckle logs onto my deck-over trailer
Is anyone using nylon/fabric straps as the rolling line??  The good, the bad?

Also, trying to decide on a winching system,
weighing the option of an electric winch or a Tifor style manual cable winch,

Thanks
D

scsmith42

I use a Pierce 8K rated winch mounted at the front of my trailer.  It's set up to plug into a receiver hitch, which allows me to share it across different trailers.

I chain a snatch block on the far side of the trailer directly across from the log ramps.  The winch is routed through that.

Chain / straps are attached to the rub rail on the side of the trailer, configured so that each end of the strap is fastened to the trailer about a foot or two in from the ends of the log.  The winch hook grabs the strap in the middle.  This provides for equal rolling at each end of the log and less chance for one to get sideways.

Usually I use a pair of straps / chains.  Long one and a short one.  I'll get the log close to the top of the ramp before the long strap is about to bottom out on the snatch block.  It then gets a temporary chain on it while I run the wince out and grab the shorter strap.

Ramps are 8" I-beam that hook over the rub rail.  Those are fairly large, but I frequently winch up logs in the 8K - 10K lb range.

It I was parbuckling smaller logs I'd take a different approach, building a lifting mechanism that attached to the back of the trailer that would allow me to stack the logs up into 3-4 rows.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Crusarius

I have not done this yet but I have a picture in my head. Lets see if I can explain it in a way that makes sense.

chains connected to the rub rail on the trailer long enough to get to the ground and wrap the log. A spreader bar between the 2 chains to hold the width. then a winch attached however you see fit to opposite rub rail on the trailer with a cable going to the center of the spreader bar. Ramps hanging off rub rail.

Roll log onto chain over spreader bar. connect winch. begin to pull. The 2 chains should roll the log straight up the ramps at least there will be less chance of turning. 

If you want more than 1 layer of logs consider hooking the chains and winch to far side rub rail. make sure you have 4x4's or something to put on the trailer deck. then run the rigging the same way only instead of the ramps hanging on the rub rail lift them up and set them on the last log you loaded.

The reason for the 4x4's is to be able to get the chain back out. I have learned though everytime I load logs I forget the 4x4's and I will not be doing that anymore. it is so much easier to chain them up to remove them with the 4x4's underneath.

camsmith

I use a turfor a lot for moving big logs in difficult spots with novehicle access  and although it can shift anything it is very slow. I use any other methods first before I resort to it.

Frickman

Be careful guys doing this kind of work.  Make sure you have the correct equipment and skill set to do the job.  It can be dangerous.  We lost a forum member a number of years ago named Mark who was killed parbuckling logs.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

dgdrls

Quote from: Frickman on May 23, 2019, 06:56:00 PM
Be careful guys doing this kind of work.  Make sure you have the correct equipment and skill set to do the job.  It can be dangerous.  We lost a forum member a number of years ago named Mark who was killed parbuckling logs.
Thank you @Frickman and everyone who has posted,
I appreciate the input.
I'll probably look to an electric winch for the prime
mover.
D

thecfarm

Put a block in the front and behind the front tires of truck. Than do the same on the trailer wheels. Well do all wheels!! Seem like Mark only did the real wheels of the truck. Big log got on trailer, raised back of truck and truck rolled backwards. :o  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dakota

I use 3/4" nylon rope, light and strong.

Dave Rinker

Thank You Sponsors!