iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions from a Prospective Sawyer

Started by jeepcj779, July 30, 2019, 06:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on July 31, 2019, 11:50:37 PM
Quote from: jeepcj779 on July 31, 2019, 11:38:37 PMI still don't get the grits reference!

I can explain it for you.  But it will cost an SGU.  :D
Jeep, SS is having some fun with you. As you read here and get to know some of these clowns Esteemed members and their proclivities you will begin to pick up on these. Also there is a FF dictionary that has a lot of these explanations (look under the Extras pull down). An SGU is a Standard Goat Unit. I forget what the current rate is but I believe it was $200/SGU last time I looked. Take your time, read around, you pick up on the lingo and semi-weird stuff. Apparently even the grits proponents seem to have 'discussions' about proper usage and consumption. These things I will never truly understand being a northerner and all.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 01, 2019, 12:33:42 AMI forget what the current rate is
Pretty sure it is still $300.  

Grits are an excuse to eat cheese, butter, maple syrup and probably a few other things that would not be generally considered acceptable to eat alone. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OffGrid973

If you consume too many grits be sure to search the outhouse posts, could be crucial to the setup of the sawmill next to your pad, drying rack, possible kiln and forklift (or something heavy metal with lifting ability)...good luck, it's a great ride.

Did anyone talk to you about marketing, that is also a great waste of time as you receive calls for free trees you just need to cut down and remove on your own, at no cost to the owner :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

WV Sawmiller

OffGrid makes a good point about the "free" trees. They are generally half rotten yard trees full of tramp metal and such and are typically leaning over an expensive house, a major power line or an expensive chain link or wooden privacy fence. Once you get the tree cut down you will be expected to clean up all the debris and repair the lawn to it's original pristine condition although this should not be too hard as the homeowner won't have let you drive across his grass anyway. By giving these trees to you the homeowner expects to save thousands of dollars the experienced, insured and certified tree service has already quoted him for such removal.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

the grits thing is a southern thing, like spam in Hawaii.  The north cannot and will not understand.  I am from the Midwest so I understand but do not eat them (grits).  SGU is like a bitcoin.  If you have many goats, you may try to barter with them.  It should be stated that some yard and tree service trees are ok, but watch out for the Tom Sawyers in the world who offer a tree.  not to be confused with  @Tom the Sawyer   .  Being from Ks, I also do not have an accent, vs folks from the south, and northeast.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

girts is something that has to be mixed with something to make it taste good. ::)  Than certain people try to tell certain people how good they are. ::) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

I hate to contradict the esteemed Mr. thecfarm BUT grits taste good to begin with. Adding butter enhances the exquisite flavor of grits. If you're having grits for the second time that day you may add some cheese for variety.

Putting sugar in grits is like putting diesel on prime beef.
HM126

Old Greenhorn

Well congratulations @jeepcj779 you have spawned your first grits spin off thread and topped it with the SGU explanation. Something I never managed to pull off. I guess you are officially part of the fold now. Nicely done. ;D :D 8)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Southside

The poor OP, he is wondering what world he has just stumbled into.   ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: doc henderson on August 01, 2019, 08:44:03 AMSGU is like a bitcoin

Except it is backed by real world assets, namely out houses, built at the world famous Rock-Hill, SC facility. In the event of the collapse of modern society your "Ice" will thank you for investing in SGU's. By the way, the safest place to store your SGU's is at the bottom of a Posthole that is filled with an Ash post. They last much longer than a Kansas Maple post ever will.   :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

TKehl

Quote from: jeepcj779 on July 31, 2019, 11:20:47 PMBefore I commit to a purchase, I will see it in operation, even if I have to fly to their facility to see it.
Quote from: jeepcj779 on July 31, 2019, 11:06:26 PMLater, I hope to run a kiln or two for hire, and one for myself. I think two solar kilns and one Nyle L200M should do. After that, maybe moulding, planing, etc.

We have similar goals.  ;)  If you go see TK in KC, you may as well look at Woodmaster and their planer/moulders while you are there.  Solid little machines for what they can do.  I got both of mine used though...   And still trying to get a shop set up...

Feel free to say hi as well.  I'm about and hour East of KC.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: btulloh on August 01, 2019, 11:48:05 AMI hate to contradict the esteemed Mr. thecfarm BUT grits taste good to begin with.
Sunlight comes down from heaven into a corn plant and the net result is grits.  Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Southside on August 01, 2019, 12:43:08 PM

The poor OP, he is wondering what world he has just stumbled into.   ;D
I have a strong feeling this isn't Jeep's first rodeo. Given his long service, I am sure he has the grit Stamina to jump right in. ;D

Nebraska

Just caught the SGU thing my last transaction I got 62.50 avereage / GU, I think I got taken  >:(
And I have always thought grits were better as high moisture corn fed to feedlot cattle. Good luck on your venture..

jeepcj779

Quote from: doc henderson on August 01, 2019, 08:44:03 AM
the grits thing is a southern thing, like spam in Hawaii.  The north cannot and will not understand.  I am from the Midwest so I understand but do not eat them (grits).  SGU is like a bitcoin.  If you have many goats, you may try to barter with them.  It should be stated that some yard and tree service trees are ok, but watch out for the Tom Sawyers in the world who offer a tree.  not to be confused with  @Tom the Sawyer   .  Being from Ks, I also do not have an accent, vs folks from the south, and northeast.   :)
I will commit to taking a look at yard logs and logs from the "Tom Sawyers", but I won't commit to taking them off their hands. 
   Spam tastes like sausage and bacon had a baby (when pan fried). I am from the south, so I understand grits. As long as you don't put sugar in them, its probably ok. Just so everyone is aware, syrup is just liquid sugar: OK for oatmeal, not for grits. Try them with some crumbled hot pork sausage sometime (with salt and butter of course). That is as good as grits get.

jeepcj779

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on August 01, 2019, 12:30:45 PM
Well congratulations @jeepcj779 you have spawned your first grits spin off thread and topped it with the SGU explanation. Something I never managed to pull off. I guess you are officially part of the fold now. Nicely done. ;D :D 8)
Glad to help. Happy to be here.

Mike W

Given enough time all posts lead to "grits"  Living in Hawaii for just over 10 years, we called Spam "Hawaiian Steak"  seemed most stores, especially the local markets, dedicated entire isles to every known spam flavor imaginable and some additional ones you didn't imagine possible.  Now back to "grits" er the topic at hand I mean.  Congrats on your forthcoming new adventure, once bitten, you'll never be the same again 

jeepcj779

Quote from: TKehl on August 01, 2019, 02:17:35 PM
We have similar goals.  ;)  If you go see TK in KC, you may as well look at Woodmaster and their planer/moulders while you are there.  Solid little machines for what they can do.  I got both of mine used though...   And still trying to get a shop set up...

Feel free to say hi as well.  I'm about and hour East of KC.
I have been looking at the woodmaster tools. I would like to have many of them, and hopefully I can check them out when I go to KC. I think I need to wait a bit before buying though. I'll get a mill, kilns, and places to air dry and store wood before I decide to invest any more money. I think there will be a natural progression with equipment. I'm trying to figure the best way to collect logs without dropping $30G on a hwy grapple trailer. I saw some posts about a truss loader. That seems to be the most economical way to get started moving logs without having to bring the tractor.

alan gage

Quote from: jeepcj779 on August 02, 2019, 12:49:32 AMI'm trying to figure the best way to collect logs without dropping $30G on a hwy grapple trailer

Don't give up on the idea of buying logs and having them delivered. That's not really an option here unless I can get the tree service guy to drop one off (no logging in the area) but I sure wish it was. When I think of how long it takes me to connect the truck and trailer, load the skidloader, drive to the location, buck and load logs, haul them back to the sawmill and unload, and go back for the skidloader I soon realize that most times it doesn't make financial sense for me to pick up logs. I'm jealous when I hear what members in other parts of the country pay to have logs delivered.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

TKehl

Lifting the logs is faster.  But for getting started, look up the DanG Deadhead log loader.  Maybe the same truss system you mentioned.  I need to build one...

You can also parbuckle them.  Deckover trailers work better for this, but can be done on a car trailer.  Basically, make side ramps and use a winch to roll the log up the ramps and on the trailer.  ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

doc henderson

cj, I agree with starting out slow and adding what you need later.  I went from a reg. pu and 18 foot car trailer, and wheeled skid loader, to a 32 foot gooseneck, a track skid steer and a 1 ton dually pu.  I have a few tree services that will drop off if able, but it depends on the equipment they take.  to me it depends if I really want the tree, or they are nearby and need a place to drop it off.  I have milled up two locust trees for Sean, and so he goes out of his way to bring me logs.  I am in an area where logging and sawmills are rare so I am known by word of mouth. I  have all the logs that my wife thinks our yard can hold.  If you go out and buy all new, you will be the one paying for that new to used depreciation.  Also if you take your time, you may run across better deals down the road. you will prob. have more people competing for your logs in your location.  I have twice paid about a hundred bucks for nice walnut logs.  Not really a known commodity price since there are so few in my area buying logs.  If you were planning to bring a bunch of logs back home, a dedicated log trailer and grapple.  A skidsteer and grapple is what I use to load the trailer for me and others.  I have a crane attachment that I use to pull a log out of a pile, and a bucket helps keep my log yard and mill area clean and level.  I have forks to move stacked lumber and slabs. I sticker my lumber on a concrete slab in from of my shop, and move sawn logs up with the forks
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

bringing home some maple

firewood

jeepcj779

Quote from: doc henderson on August 02, 2019, 10:30:03 AM
cj, I agree with starting out slow and adding what you need later.  I went from a reg. pu and 18 foot car trailer, and wheeled skid loader, to a 32 foot gooseneck, a track skid steer and a 1 ton dually pu.

If you go out and buy all new, you will be the one paying for that new to used depreciation.  Also if you take your time, you may run across better deals down the road.

you will prob. have more people competing for your logs in your location. 
I have a 2015 2500 Ram with air suspension and a 24 ft 14K equipment trailer, so if I can get logs in the trailer, I can haul them. I was already considering trading up for a 1 ton DRW and a gooseneck. Unfortunately, the 2500 Ram is so heavy that the payload is inadequate to tow a gooseneck or 5th wheel (legally) without upfitting. I'll likely end up selling my current trailer and getting one or two others to better meet my needs. I would like one of those to be the $30,000 dump trailer with grapple, but I don't want to spend $30,000. There are no used ones for sale in my area, and the closest dealer is in N Florida, so I will have to bide my time or figure something else out. The only item I am committed to buying new is the mill. I'll try to be patient with the rest and hopefully get a good deal on something used so I don't eat all the depreciation.

I only found one add on CL for someone looking for logs (to mill), and that was almost 100 miles from me. I will have to invest more time researching, but my hope is that there is not high demand for logs in my area.
If things pan out and we sell our land in WV, I will have more latitude purchasing both equipment and and a quality woodlot in my area so (as a last resort) I don't have to move logs from WV. I think the most important thing for me will be establishing relationships with local tree services and land development companies to get usable logs. Collecting logs from non-business customers will be secondary, and cutting from my own land will be last. In any case, I will have to figure out how to establish a supply chain of quality logs to be successful.
I appreciate all the advice, and the time you take to give it.

Southside

One word of caution, there are quarantine matters to investigate when trucking logs across state lines, gypsy moth regulations, and a whole host of other potential legal pitfalls. Definitely do your homework first.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

jeepcj779

Quote from: Southside on August 02, 2019, 03:30:51 PM
One word of caution, there are quarantine matters to investigate when trucking logs across state lines, gypsy moth regulations, and a whole host of other potential legal pitfalls. Definitely do your homework first.
Noted. I will be sure to check the laws and regulations prior to moving any of those logs. Hopefully I won't have to go that route.

Thank You Sponsors!