The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: I called 911  (Read 1110 times)

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • 70-12 still feel pretty good and going to retire
    • Share Post
Re: I called 911
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »
in our county 911 calls only go to our county of residence.
If is was your fault you should be responsible for the repair.\ IMO
Also regarding all The  negative comments.
How about before 911?
Hold your hand over your %&$$##@ until Help or not arrives? 
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
241 acres of woodland

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »
Land line and cell phone 911 work differently in the sense of where the call is supposed to go.  Sometimes they go to different agencies based on who divied up what as far as resources go, other times it all goes to the same place, but cell 911 calls are based on the origin location of the caller - what tower did you ping, and now your actual GPS location in case towers cross jurisdiction lines  - not the place you live or where your phone number is from.  Imagine being on vacation in Florida and you call 911 on your cell phone to report an accident and Mandan, ND answers - that would not be a good system.  

The real issue here was folks who didn't want to be bothered while collecting a check at their job.  Long story short, back when I had a real job I directly called an HHS type agency to deal with an infant who was in imminent danger as her mom was trying to move out the place she was living and literally into a crack house, for the express purpose of getting wasted easier - late teenage waste of oxygen.  This was an infant, a very small one at that, I don't have kids, and I did have a 95 lb German Shepherd, so I called the folks who are the "experts" at this.  I told the folks there the whole story, and the gal I ended up speaking with told me they could not help me and I should "call 911" - my response was "Lady I am the guy 911 sends out to deal with whatever instigated the call".  I ended up having my CO call their director, didn't take long before someone showed up on scene after that with blankets, toys, food, car seat, etc.  Much better than the Level 4 vest, tracking harness, and spill proof dog bowl options I had available.  Sometimes you need to light a fire to get a response.  In your case it seems the fire was not quite big enough.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 11:02:00 PM »
Using a cell phone to dial 911 can be a tricky thing.  It may go to the wrong place.  You got the wrong county and not only that, you got law instead of fire.  In my experience, law is not much help with fire.  My experience is 27 years in the fire service.  There was some good advice about finding an actual 7 digit phone number to your local dispatch.  That will solve the 911 problem with cell phone.  Dialing the 7 digit number is no different than dialing 911 as far as the dispatchers are concerned.  Better luck next time, if there is a next time.  Hopefully not.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Online ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 12:34:44 AM »
911 here just rings the CHP (California Highway Patrol) dispatcher. Then they ask what the issue is.  On my cell, I have CHP non-emergency and Placer County Sheriff non-emergency numbers.  The "rule" is if you are on a highway, call CHP, otherwise the Sheriff.  I was coming down the Sierras on I-80, coasting down a step downgrade.  I came around a right turn and a car was stopped on the right shoulder hanging halfway out into the lane (two lanes wide).  Stupid place to stop.  Even if the engine died, you could still coast down to a safe straightaway.  So I called the non-emergency CHP.  She instructed me to call 911 in such cases (it was a hazard, to me, not an emergency) and she connected me to 911.  They already knew about it and were dispatching a patrol to investigate.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What are these called?

Started by Brian_Weekley on Timber Framing/Log construction

15 Replies
Last post March 30, 2015, 08:58:25 PM
by S.Hyland
xx
What are these called?

Started by Sedgehammer on General Board

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2020, 11:52:54 PM
by Sedgehammer