iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large tract where they pulled stumps

Started by livemusic, October 30, 2019, 03:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I know of a large (to me) tract of mixed hardwood and southern pine, it's hilly for this area. Has to be several hundred acres, as the (asphalt) road frontage is about a mile. It looks like the entire place has been selective thinned to not very many stems per acre and I don't know what the thinning rational is, haven't figured that out yet. Question is, I note that it looks like all felled trees, they pulled the stumps. Why would they do that? Am curious about this tract! There is a ton of hardwood for firewood just waiting to be had, else it's just going to rot! I need to look closer to see but I think they did remove some of the bigger stems. I note that there are a lot of smaller entire trees (but plenty big for firewood! Say, 10" to 16" DBH trees) pulled out of the ground just laying around. Quite a bit of work to yank up that many trees! I dunno, they might not have pulled stumps, they might've pulled entire trees, or pushed them over with a bulldozer, hadn't thought of that until now. Do you think they did all this for aesthetics? I have never seen this.
~~~
Bill

Ljohnsaw

Maybe getting ready to develop into a neighborhood?  Just left enough trees to keep it "woodsy' feeling?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

livemusic

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 30, 2019, 03:54:11 PM
Maybe getting ready to develop into a neighborhood?  Just left enough trees to keep it "woodsy' feeling?
That is a good guess. I looked at sat photos, the tract isn't big as I thought, it just has a lot of road frontage. It's about 160 acres. I can't envision them developing this, it's too far from the city. I do note there is an 8-acre pond about a quarter mile off the road. Maybe they just did it so it looks good to them but it would seem to cost a lot to do it. Maybe he's rich, that changes things. I would think that this tract will tend to have a 'park-like' look to it once the tops rot.
~~~
Bill

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wudman

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

livemusic

Quote from: Wudman on October 30, 2019, 04:52:02 PM
Grass and cattle possible?

Wudman
No, the stems/acre is too much, plus, it is terrible soil for growing grass. A good guess based on what I posted. I know cattle, raised on a big cattle ranch here. I am thinking it's just for aesthetics but why not just fell them? If I ever were to see anyone there, I'd stop and ask!

EDIT:  Did some more thinking... hmmm... maybe he just doesn't like stump holes that come about (rot, leaving a hole) years after you fell trees. I know on my land, the stump holes from pines cut quite a long time ago... those holes are dangerous! I have "fallen" into several and it would be easy to break a leg. Also got my ATV stuck in one, had to winch out.
~~~
Bill

thecfarm

Do you have a picture? You say pulled the stumps? Did they leave them one here and there or in a pile?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

I have never, literally never, come across a rotted out stump hole in the woods.  Yes - a rotted stump with a big old hole in the middle, but no moonscape of craters where trees were once.  My guess would be either it will be developed for some sort of housing or recreation (quail hunting comes to mind) or a silva culture grazing place.  If there was enough room to get an excavator in between the leave trees and grub out the stumps then there is enough space to let in enough light and grow grass.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

livemusic

On a 40-acre tract, I have LOTS (hundreds?) of these stump holes. Many still have a bit of the original tree stump, the outer part of the stem such that you can see "Oh, that was a 12-inch pine.) All of these stump holes are from pines. The land is sandy, an aquifer sand outcrops in the area. If that matters. When I have come close to injury is when it's covered with leaves and I step into it unknowingly and immediately my leg goes full down into the hole.

As for the tract in the OP, there is no pile, the downed stems are just left where they grew.

Thanks for feedback on the mystery.
~~~
Bill

JJ

I see something very similar once, and puzzled me as well.   They pushed over all the trees and came back with huge tumbler and chipper for the stumps and tops, hauled off the stems; and now it is a big vegetable farm (some is u-pick).  Don't know the ROI of converting forest to field, seemed like a lot of work to put in you-pick and big vegetable stand.

Location was Rt 25 between Steep Falls and Standish Maine:

At first I thought they were expanding the cemetery at the south end of the field.

JJ

Thank You Sponsors!