iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting wedges ala Jim Rogers

Started by 47sawdust, November 01, 2019, 11:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I found myself having to cut some wedges for a home project.After spending some time over thinking the process I decided to use the forum search and see how others had done it.
Thanks to all who have gone before me and posted here.I settled on Jim Rogers approach  and in short order had 20 hemlock wedges.

Thanks Jim and everyone else as well.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

trapper

picture is worth a thousand words  I like that idea 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WV Sawmiller

I can't tell from the picture but I assume you are cutting multiples at one time. The ends don't appear to to be cut at a 90 degree angle but I assume you put them on a 4X4 and marked 90 degrees from that point.

Thanks for posting. Looks straightforward and simple and I like simple.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Of course the term "wedge" can be interpreted differently depending upon what the intended product is.   ::)   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

They are cut one at a time as I didn't want to go to the trouble of building an involved jig.Each one is clamped.The 10° angle angle is for a specific purpose,hence not square.They are 7''x9''.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Jim_Rogers

You're welcome, and each use can be different.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

GAB

I cut some approx. 5' long wedges to level a bathroom floor.
The first 2 or 3 went in the firewood pile.
Got better after that.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

DYank

When I cut wedges they are not planed. ::) 
Dean

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, I have cut my share of long wedges without any prior planning too. Now who raised that toeboard while I wasn't watching? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

I cut a few for use as wheelchair ramps..Use where the rise is a few inches to a foot. Beats trying to fab up a structure. Just lay them in place , no attachments.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DWyatt

I just cut a 2" tall x 10' long wedge this weekend out of some beautiful Red Oak.  >:(

Thank You Sponsors!