iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Break in

Started by PAmizerman, November 21, 2019, 10:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

I had someone kick my door in at my house I bought in April and have been working on. Fortunately for some weird reason I packed all my tools up and took them to my truck two days earlier. I guess the good Lord was watching out for me. 
What is wrong with people?

They didn't take anything as there wasn't anything with value left in the house. 

Now I'm just really peaved because I have to buy a new front door and just bought $200 in security cameras. 

They are just lucky I wasn't there when they broke in because I am a big fan of the second amendment. And I be packen.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Southside

I know the feeling.  Never used to lock my door because I figured it would just result in a broken door.

Came home once to a pair of fine folks walking out of my front door.  My place sat 1/4 mile off the road, I really didn't think it was much fair, three on two I mean.  Mr Heckler, Mr Koch, and I kept a close eye on them while waiting for the State Police to show up.  She tried to file a complaint because the snow was cold on her face, to which I tried to file an additional complaint because she peed on my snow while lying in it, neither of those complaints went anywhere.

In the end they really only got a slap on the wrist and some frost bite and other places on the cheek out of the deal, the system is broken.       
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

That is too bad to have that happen.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

K-Guy

Instead of new laws maybe the people would be better served if the federal and state governments concentrated on helping the police enforce the ones we have.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

WV Sawmiller

Long ago a wizened old USMC Major taught me the "Single significant emotional event (SSEE) concept" which seems appropriate here. I think I was worrying about an underperforming Marine not toeing the line as to his conduct issues. The process the Major explained to me went something like this:

"When someone does something wrong too many people want to go looking back into his life and want to identify the SSEE in his life that caused him to go wrong. Maybe his pet frog died when he was 6 or his brother broke his Tonka truck when he was 4 or such. They feel this SSEE caused the child to stray from the path of right and good and turn to the dark side and they try to determine what SSEE that caused his problem. The Major told me the proper course of action in such cases is to create a new SSEE that is so significant it will override the previous SSEE and turn the young man back to the path of righteousness!"

Someone needs to create a new SSEE in this miscreants life such that he will never want to break into anyone's home again!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Al_Smith

Good locks etc. are a deterrent but not to a pro.They just become a challenge .It's nearly impossible unless you hire Diebold to install bank vault doors to totally prevent .--So called "Kentucky justice " while being illeagal also  is after the fact .About like shutting the barn door after the horse got loose .

WV Sawmiller

To make matters worse I read a couple days ago where some of our politicians are concerned the new doorbell cameras people use to help prevent/catch porch pirates and such are going to be violating people's civil rights because we are taking people's pictures without their permission. Duuuhh!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 22, 2019, 11:14:56 AM
 To make matters worse I read a couple days ago where some of our politicians are concerned the new doorbell cameras people use to help prevent/catch porch pirates and such are going to be violating people's civil rights because we are taking people's pictures without their permission. Duuuhh!
Ring already gives local PD access to the door bell cam.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

sawguy21

My parents' summer cottage used to get broken into in the off season. There was nothing to steal, it was a 3 room uninsulated building with no utilities in the middle of nowhere but I guess it beat sleeping outside. I suspect the culprits were ice fishermen. Dad tired of replacing the door and jamb so left it unlocked. It was always left clean, one spring we returned to find the firewood generously replenished and a note apologizing for the damage.
'Kentucky justice' is generally frowned upon, even 'packin' will get me in a heap of trouble, and are material goods worth the grief? That is what insurance is for. It is very frustrating though.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chevytaHOE5674

3 days ago I was out checking cows and went into the bull pasture only to see 2 sets of boot tracks in the fresh snow. Somebody came by the day before when I wasn't around went thru 3 sets of gates and wandered around in circles out in the pasture before leaving. People have no respect for other people's private property.

Now I have locks on all the perimeter gates (which wont do much if somebody really wants in). I feel odd having to lockup my own land...

Nebraska

Too much methin' around in this world. Much of what I want to say about this problem is not appropriate for here, it is sad as  crimes happen around here too.  We were broken into at work overnight late last spring. Perp crawled through an ac opening  and beat an old metal safe apart with a pry bar and hammer.  Took some cash and some controlled substaces (veterinary anesthetics), all was recovered by a stroke of luck he was driving without the head lights on a week later still had everything with him in his car. Linked to 10+ break ins in two states. Worst part is we know the man. Drugs are bad.

crowhill

My house was broken into 5 times in a 3 year period. It takes the sense of security away that's for sure. I'm also usually "packen" but, my greatest sense of security comes from having a dog included in the picture. They tend to read people really well. They can also become very protective and 85 pounds of snarling, growling and teeth bared snapping on the inside of the door tends to turn unwanted visitors away! Security is back!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

SawyerTed

It's been 10 years since we had a break in and larceny of several 10s of thousands in loss and damage.  The felon that did it also stole firearms at my house and others. The district attorney lumped all his charges in our county together.  The multiple time felon got to serve his time concurrently.  All of two and a half years for multiple crimes in three counties.  He should have gone to prison and stayed if the DA had pushed for it.  He has since found his way back to prison.  

The Doc, our children and I had to come to the realization that it was just stuff.  Some of it impossible to replace but just stuff.  

We got an alarm system, cameras and a big dog. No problems since. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Al_Smith

Off side a bit of attempted humor .I used to let it be known my property was being watched by an armed guard .A big 200 pound woman( RIP ) armed with a broom and with no sense of humor  and mean as a snake .Don't fear the reaper ,fear the woman .Pity the fool . :D

WV Sawmiller

My thoughts on break ins are pretty extreme so I have to tread real lightly here. I don't view it as just property. It is a personal affront and insult for someone to think they can steal what I worked and saved to accumulate. Ask me and I will likely just give it to you but to think you can just take it is totally unforgivable. To have people live in fear is another form of terrorism IMHO. I hear people say punishment should meet the crime - No! Punishment must always be so overwhelming the culprit will never consider such an act again. That is the big problem with our society right now.

I worked many years overseas and worked very closely with our security team. The main theme we pushed when working in very poor, crime laden areas was to ensure it was easier to rob someone else than us. Lights, locks, alarms, guards, bars, razor wire, etc
Howard Green

SawyerTed

@WV Sawmiller we went through the fear of being violated and the anger of being "insulted" by the thief but we came to the realization that those feelings were paralyzing. It does make me angry that someone would take what I've worked very hard for, but in the end there's no one to direct the anger toward. Wanting vengeance or revenge is natural but without a target.  So that anger would have eaten us up inside.  The score would have been thief 2, Ted's family 0.  We couldn't let him get the best of us twice.

I agree that punishment should be a deterrent but our values and thieves values are different.  What would deter us doesn't phase them.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

barbender

WV, a Marine once told me of a superior that used SSEE's (although that term wasn't used) to get better performance out of underperforming Marines. He said the guy had a superior of his, put him on a fitness regimen (it was some kind of sanction, I can't remember what he called it- I'm sure you'd recognize it). Now this was a real affront to this officer, as he took pride in his conditioning but he had an odd physique that gave his superior the impression he was overweight. In the course of this, he was put in charge of some other Marine's that were not staying in shape, with the charge too get them in shape too. This greatly added insult to injury! They had been out of shape for some time and no one had been able to bring them around. Well when this officer got ahold of them, they were all back in shape in less than 2 weeks. The Marine telling me the story figured after a few days of no improvement he physically beat one or two of them (SSEE), and all of the sudden everyone was motivated!😂😂 No one could understand how he got such quick results😂 I sure would like to be able to give the gift of an SSEE to a lot of folks, you'd be doing them a big favor, really. Too many laws against it though. Sigh🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

@barbender ,  I probably served with that guy or others just like him. I am not advocating a blanket party for underperformance. There are other incentives for that. Those are "carrot" cases IMHO where self-discipline will work for the right incentives - pay, promotion, recognition, etc. Also what works great for one Marine will totally turn another off. Just like disciplining your kids. I have one granddaughter who will react more to a frown than her sister would if I were to beat her with a 2X4. A good parent or good manager or good leader recognizes and utilizes what works best for each child, employee, subordinate, etc. 

Now if we were talking misconduct I would have a different view. Those are the "Stick" cases where external discipline is more justified and warranted.  These are moral issues from character defects. I feel these are cancers that can warrant surgical removal to prevent further damage to the individual, others and society as a whole. In my travels in remote areas such as Africa, Asia, South America and the mid-East I have seen the very most severe discipline applied. I am not advocating we go to those levels but I am a firm believer that nobody should benefit from their misdeeds.

Howard Green

scsmith42

This sign on my property has been somewhat effective....

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Southside

Quote from: Nebraska on November 23, 2019, 12:45:01 AMTook some cash and some controlled substaces (veterinary anesthetics),

Ran a track from a break in at a vet clinic once where they had pried open several med cabinets looking for "Special K" (Ketamine)  One guy got nabbed right behind the clinic and was saying how his buddy scored a "vial of Oxycontin", didn't realize it came in liquid form but I figured whatever, got a good scent and took off on a full fledged run, maybe 1/2 mile I spotted the dirt bag on the ground hiding behind a tree doing something I could not determine what it was.  Lost my back up probably in the first 100 yards - almost always the way - so I tried challenging him several times and my K-9 made him very aware of our presence and intentions.  No real response so I began to close the gap using trees as cover and had two options there at the ready, one being a very aggressive, 95 lb shepherd.  

Well I get close enough to realize the guy is in a full fledged seizure, has soiled his pants (scent), projectile vomiting, and has no clue I am there dry heaving so bad I think his small intestine was coming up.  To his side I see what appears to be a rather decent sized glass vial and a syringe, so I figure this guy is going to OD right there in front of me and I call for life flight.  Now everyone else who hears this thinks the worst has happened and go into scramble mode.  Medically there is nothing I can do for this guy and until I either have a second set of hands or he begins to cooperate I am not moving in any closer but for some reason I glance down at the vial and recognize it. It's a bottle of Oxytocin - you know the same stuff they give cows, dogs, and women to assist with labor, it also lets milk down in cows but that is a whole different matter.  The stuff causes muscle contractions and it does not take much at all, from the looks of it most of the vial is gone so he walloped a couple of injections into himself figuring it was going to be the best trip ever - umm no.  Trying to contain my laughter I called in and advised of what was happening and that the bird was probably not necessary.  I highly doubt he learned his lesson that day, but the punishment sure fit the crime that time, for all others I think more good folks should own an excavator, SSS.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!