The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??  (Read 64874 times)

Offline EOTE

• I don't suffer from insanity-I enjoy every minute.
    • Share Post
Re: Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??
« Reply #1160 on: June 28, 2020, 09:32:50 PM »
Holy cow thats a clean shop.  Banjo
My wife and I have an agreement - I make the shop dirty (building her a house) and she keeps it clean.  ;D ;D ;D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #1161 on: June 28, 2020, 10:25:33 PM »
How do you keep that long fence lined up?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #1162 on: June 29, 2020, 07:03:34 AM »
Holy cow thats a clean shop.  Banjo
Actually that is a true example of photo shopped. 
Yup, a photo of da shop!!  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DWyatt

• Share Post
« Reply #1163 on: June 29, 2020, 07:19:39 AM »
Had a good weekend with the mill, only my second paying travel job. Most of my cutting is for myself. Turned over 100 hours on the mill since I got it (prior owners pulled the hour meter ::)).

Small, small, and more small logs, all white oak cleared off when the customer built their house. All finished up for the weekend, they made about 850 bf ranging from 6' to 16' long. The boards will be used to build a deck off the back of the new house. Neat story behind the trees. The owners grandfather and great grandfather planted 10 acres of field with white oak, walnut, and locust 60+/- years ago and now the board will become part of their new house.

And lots of slabs when cutting logs this small.

Heading back there Friday to finish up the job. This has been a good lesson in how NOT to charge when sawing logs this small, but he did tip very well which helps. 

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #1164 on: June 29, 2020, 08:10:54 AM »
@Peter Drouin , how did you support that mill shed opening so long without a post?? I need to do something like that and need ideas. Have a photo from the inside of the beam?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
« Reply #1165 on: June 29, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »
How do you keep that long fence lined up?
The roller conveyor stands help hold the rip fence stable.  It just takes a bit of care to align everything before starting to use it.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

Online cutterboy

• Sometimes trees fall where they want to.
    • Share Post
« Reply #1166 on: June 29, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »

My wife and I have an agreement - I make the shop dirty (building her a house) and she keeps it clean.  ;D ;D ;D
That sounds fair to me. I think I'll mention this to my wife.....well, maybe not. ::)

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1167 on: June 30, 2020, 06:20:03 PM »
  I got out and did an alignment on my bed rails yesterday. I doubt they were out much over 1/4" between them all but got them all the same so I got out and sawed a few test logs. I started with a spalted 8' maple and made a couple of 8/4 LE slabs then a dozen 9/4 X 9/4 "stickers" for bench legs.

I took a 4' walnut crotch and cut 2-8/4 LE slabs and one 4/4 slab. Some spalting and may have to trim off one end but got it out of the way. I was going to make bench legs but it wasn't the right piece for that.

I did not take a picture but also grabbed a 5' ash piece and cut a dozen 9/4 X 9/4 bench legs out of it. I have a Lumberjack Festival coming up in September and plan on taking a large assortment of benches to it. Now lets just pray for good weather and safe travel conditions.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1168 on: July 01, 2020, 12:17:17 AM »
Yesterday I was able to saw a short hickory I cut from the tree I took down a year and a half ago.  I was afraid it was gonna be too hard, but the Turbo 7s zipped right through it.  The log was S shaped and always wanted to hang to the ground, so I wacked it off.  I will sell these or hang on to them to see how they dry out.

Today I cut my first bench.  I used blocks of Red Oak for the leg blocks and bench.  It was just too ate up to make anything longer.

I also cut some thin Red Oak boards to make my 1st blade box.  The blocks, bench and boards are from a decaying (still alive on one side) Red Oak I dug up almost two years ago.

hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel.

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1169 on: July 01, 2020, 12:22:33 AM »
EOTE,
   How do you like that JET planer?  Also, with that clean floor and all those vacuum ducts, where do you dance on Saturday night?  taz-smiley
         hug,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide Diesel.

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #1170 on: July 01, 2020, 08:03:51 AM »
cranking out some nice wood and projects Brandi!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #1171 on: July 01, 2020, 09:19:44 AM »
Brandi,

Looks good. If anybody steals it I'd first check with the local ER to see if anybody reported recently with back problems. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
« Reply #1172 on: July 01, 2020, 09:28:06 AM »
EOTE,
   How do you like that JET planer?  Also, with that clean floor and all those vacuum ducts, where do you dance on Saturday night?  taz-smiley
         hug,  Brandi
Bindian,
I love the Jet planer!  I have the helical head and once I got it set up properly, it works flawlessly.  I've run over 8,000 board feet through it so far and it really does a nice job.  I haven't had to change the cutters yet but that is probably due to doing mostly pine.  You have to keep the table waxed thoroughly for the boards to run through smoothly.
I port the chips through a Harbor Freight dust collector and out to my 16K dump trailer.  I made a bin to dump the chips.  Each trailer load is about 9 yards of chips.

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1173 on: July 01, 2020, 01:39:43 PM »
EOTE,
   How do you like that JET planer?  Also, with that clean floor and all those vacuum ducts, where do you dance on Saturday night?  taz-smiley
         hug,  Brandi
Bindian,
I love the Jet planer!  I have the helical head and once I got it set up properly, it works flawlessly.  I've run over 8,000 board feet through it so far and it really does a nice job.  I haven't had to change the cutters yet but that is probably due to doing mostly pine.  You have to keep the table waxed thoroughly for the boards to run through smoothly.
I port the chips through a Harbor Freight dust collector and out to my 16K dump trailer.  I made a bin to dump the chips.  Each trailer load is about 9 yards of chips.

Sweet!  What Harbor Freight dust collector do you use?  I was thinking the one in the store on display might be too small.
I have a 5hp helical Grizzly planer.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1174 on: July 01, 2020, 01:44:31 PM »
cranking out some nice wood and projects Brandi!
Thanks Doc.  I have not been working due to voluntary Covid 19 time off.  So I am getting into the grove of cutting.  Sending my first box of blades to Woodmizer Resharp today.
SWA is giving voluntary retirements with 12 months pay and 12 months paid medical and dental.  I signed up for it.  I will know next month if it is approved.  I turn 62 next month.  So I could retired anywhere from August to Oct, depending on the company.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline Bindian

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1175 on: July 01, 2020, 01:47:47 PM »
Brandi,

Looks good. If anybody steals it I'd first check with the local ER to see if anybody reported recently with back problems. :D

Thanks WV!
I am gonna add braces to the bench and legs to keep them together if water tries to move it.  It will be placed in a scenic area by a gully at the back of my property.  We have had some deep water there before.
hugs,  Brandi

My Hero is Johnny Jett

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
« Reply #1176 on: July 01, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
EOTE,
         hug,  Brandi
Bindian,
I love the Jet planer!  I have the helical head and once I got it set up properly, it works flawlessly.  I've run over 8,000 board feet through it so far and it really does a nice job.  I haven't had to change the cutters yet but that is probably due to doing mostly pine.  You have to keep the table waxed thoroughly for the boards to run through smoothly.
I port the chips through a Harbor Freight dust collector and out to my 16K dump trailer.  I made a bin to dump the chips.  Each trailer load is about 9 yards of chips.

Sweet!  What Harbor Freight dust collector do you use?  I was thinking the one in the store on display might be too small.
I have a 5hp helical Grizzly planer.
hugs,  Brandi
Brandi,
I have the basic 1 -1/2 hp. version.  I don't use the dust collector bag and filter much as I ported it directly into my dump trailer.  My dump trailer holds 9 cubic yards of chips and fills up quickly when planing boards.  I would be exhausted trying to empty the removable bag all the time with the amount of chips I've generated.  To give you an idea, the 6,000 bf of shiplap generated 3 trailer loads of chips and sawdust.  Keep that in mind when setting up your planer and dust collector.

Offline tule peak timber

• Senior Member x2
  • roborob
    • Share Post
    • tule peak timber
« Reply #1177 on: July 01, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
Setting up the trusses this morning. I devised a pallet jack system to move and set. 8) 8)

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Offline EOTE

• Share Post
« Reply #1178 on: July 01, 2020, 05:24:10 PM »
Setting up the trusses this morning. I devised a pallet jack system to move and set. 8) 8)
(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

That's a pretty boss build you have going.  Nice work!

Online Walnut Beast

• Share Post
« Reply #1179 on: July 01, 2020, 06:43:46 PM »
Looks pretty impressive without metal plate connectors

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman on Sawmills and Milling

12500 Replies
Last post March 06, 2019, 08:53:50 AM
by Jeff
xx
Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc on Sawmills and Milling

79 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 12:17:34 PM
by farmfromkansas