iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weight loss contest/support

Started by doc henderson, January 26, 2020, 10:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

it would be interesting.  you are not low carb, but you are burning fat for lack of calories.  you are producing ketones, but these can also be further utilized and consumed by your cells. In a sense you are starving/running a deficit. Your new habits should stick with you.  you will have to be vigilant that old habits do not return once you reach your goals.  We are all right there with you!  I slept all day and then helped 2 cub scouts with there mom make the weight and glue on wheels for the pine wood derby.  They invited me to attend, but I will be working tomorrow eve.  so eating well today, and will have a meal at 1 am, since I have had little all day.  last ate at 2 am so the schedule messes with the weigh in.  had 4 meals prev. day (since I was up over 24 hours) and only one meal today.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stanwelch

Jeff great job — 30# !!!   8)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

stanwelch

Week one 258# — 3# loss. 

I'm disappointed ☹️. 
Here's why. I was 260# Jan 27 when I started a daily gym exercise program. I walk tread mill 30-45 minutes then machine iso/weight work for 30 minutes increasing time and weight/reps. I did not change my eating habits until I started challenge here. Last week I stopped all bread/soda/desserts/candy increased gym activities and ONLY lost 3# >:(

I'm planning to reduce food intake going forward. I want to be at 240 or less by April 17. Any suggestions?

I have lost inches and significantly increased strength and endurance which was my objective for the past 6 weeks. So that is on track. I lost a lot last year after shoulder surgery and I "tweaked " the shoulder after 6 months so backed off physical activity. Shoulder is stronger now than before surgery. 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Gary_C

Quote from: stanwelch on March 07, 2020, 10:07:27 AM
I'm planning to reduce food intake going forward. I want to be at 240 or less by April 17. Any suggestions?

As you age it gets harder to lose weight partially because you are less active. It sounds like your exercise program is doing some good but you are also gaining some muscle mass and probably not losing the fat. 
In the end it's all about calories in and calories burned. My suggestion would be to get one of those Fitbits and track activity and food intake and then set weight loss goals. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

3lbs is great! Ill be very happy if I can maintain 3 lbs. That would be 60 more lbs by pig roast time! If you are working out a bunch you are gaining muscle as you lose fat. Muscle is heavier than fat
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

Quote from: Jeff on March 07, 2020, 11:57:04 AM
 Muscle is heavier than fat
That's sort of a myth. A pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat. Muscle is more dense than fat so as you build more muscle you lose inches and look leaner. 
Here is a link to two articles that do a better job of explaining the muscle vs fat story plus Body Mass Index.
A pound of Muscle vs a Pound of Fat
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

Umm.... pretty sure I know a lb is a lb.  My statement was as if I said lead is heavier than aluminum. Gold is heavier than sandstone.

stanwelch

I can feel I am replacing body weight with muscle thus losing some fat. I just would like it to go away faster. I do have a fit bit and use it to track my sleep and on days I'm not at the gym. Will see what this next week brings. 

I got it Jeff. A pound of fluffy stuff is more than a pound of muscle. We're good🙂

doc henderson

Stan you are doing great.  everyone is different.  I think it is great to set lofty goals and be able to get excited about the prospects.  do you have a class reunion or something you are loosing for? :)  As you loose even a little you feel better and have more energy, as well your body may reduce insulin levels and make it more like being on anabolic steroids! natural type from you body or more like a teenager.  you goals are great but how fast you achieve them may be the challenge.   3# a week is a pretty fast rate.  And if you are building muscle as you loose fat, it may make the rate of loss less, but you are still healthier.  Muscle is "denser" than fat so takes up less room, and why fat floats on water and steak sinks!  Or at the pool some people sink and others float, and it has to do with their weight to volume ratio (density)!  so at 3# a week, you will loose 60# in 20 weeks.  you can ramp up, but you current rate is healthy, and at least you are not going the other way!  In fact I think that rate will be hard to maintain, and it is prob. better to maintain the new better exercise and eating habits!  even if the losses taper off as you get leaner.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Yesterday I gained a foot in my closet. I took out all the now to big jeans and 3x shirts. Tammy saved some of the jeans for denim material and some of the stuff she bagged up to give to a local church charity her mom is involved with.  In the far end of the closet I was able to find 5 real good pair of jeans Ive not fit in for years now and a few shirts tammy had picked up on sale a few years ago not realizing I had moved on up past that size.  You always throw out the fat clothes and save the skinny cloths. :D

Jeff

Lunch! Stuffed mushrooms and salad, total of 177 calories.

doc henderson

well I had 4 raisin cookies last pm on my third 12 hour night shift.  not sure if it was the time change or the recent leap year... :)  any way, holding steady.  I have over a week with no shifts, just lots of meetings.  plan to work on forming up for more concrete in my wood area, and fixing my grapple ect.  should have lots of satisfying physical activity.  should make some... "gains"...er losses!  the food looks great Jeff.  maybe go part time at your local fine diner! 

Bruno of NH

Great job Jeff 
I'm doing great also
It feels good
Drinking soda is what kicked me over the edge into type 2 diabetes. 
Best thing o ever did was hive up sugary drinks.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Tonight's supper! Chili! A big bowl of chili is a good thing! No crackers or cheese.  Jalapenos!

Jeff

The soul purpose of drinking a soda is to fulfill the needs that are created from drinking Soda. No other benefit. The downsides are many. Good for us Bruno!!

randy d

Sounds like every one is doing great but I am having a hard time getting past 173 not gaining but not losing either. We finally got some warmer weather so time to do some hiking may be that will help. Jeff it looks like you are doing a fine job of low cal cooking  ;D  Randy

doc henderson

Randy, how tall are you.  not gaining is something.  gaining is how we all ended up on this thread!  keep it up, and soon you will start a downward trend.

randy d

I am a little better than 5'9 but would sure like to see 170# o ya my mother came from Sweden when she was two years old and my Grampa on my dads side came in 1886 so I am a swede we do not have small bones.

stanwelch

doc henderson

this morning, finally on the thin side of 180#.  179 today, I really did not miss the 70s, the 60s were really great.  on my way there slowly.   8)

Old Greenhorn

Nice work Doc and all the others working hard at this.
Hey, has somebody here been in touch with my wife? My lunch bag today consists of 2 oranges, 2 hard boiled eggs, and a bag of green grapes. I smell a conspiracy. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

maybe she thinks you are constipated, not over weight.  have you been a little grumpy lately?   :o :o :o 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :) :) :)

doc henderson

OGH,  I hope you got your lunch thing worked out...
I am down to 178 today.  each time I, or someone else has a milestone/success, it is very motivational.  lets get/keep going guys and gals!  for now I will be in Rentz in a month.  It will be good to see everyone.

Jeff

I seem to have settled into the mid 70s for now. Hopefully as the weather turns fair, I'll get a bunch of exercise with all the substantial chores I have facing me this year.  I learned the last two days my stamina is low but I feel pretty good.

I started out needing to wear a 46 waist pant but squeezed into 44s. I an now very comfortably in 42s. I have a pair of 40s on my dresser. I tried  them on and was able to get them on, but they are a bit snug yet. My 3x shirts are baggy, the 2x fit easily. A regular large is just to small, but probably always will be because I'm pretty big boned.  I got on the scales a couple days ago right out of the shower and weighed 271.9 but can't/won't count that until its done fully clothed. Hooefully next week Ill be to the 1971 mustang goal.

doc henderson

you are almost there!  thanks for letting me catch up.   8)  when we are in the 60s, maybe we should use the word "man" in every sentence.   O0

my wife told me yesterday, I am no longer snoring.  smiley_sleeping   smiley_gorgeous

Thank You Sponsors!