iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finding places to Cut

Started by cashman234, March 03, 2020, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cashman234

Hey Guys,  I just want to start off by saying I have learned alot from this Forum,  but the question I have is how I can find people that will let me harvest some wood from there land.  I am happy to pay, clear land, or whatever they would like. But I haven't had much luck.  How do y'all go about doing this?

Ljohnsaw

Where are you located?  You should update your profile so people in your area could chime in.  I only cut on my land but check CL for free logs (got a bunch 2 years ago).
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

There may be insurance issues with cutting on someone else's land. Tree service and land clearing companies carry their own liability insurance to cover this. Part of the reason they charge so much. 

So you might be better approaching some of them as often they have to pay to dump the logs they cut. A few dollars or a box of beers might get some of the more useful ones dropped at your place? They might pay $50 to dump a load of logs, or you give them $50 to drop them at your place? 

Make sure you aren't getting the nail ridden junk dropped on your lap, but the right contacts might find you some decent logs. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

What is your experience? Have you done the work and paid the dues by working on a crew? When someone asks who are you and what do you bring to the deal can you truthfully impress them?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

My needs are not great, I tend to saw, process and use the wood. what I cut a year ago is going up now as a house. Some of the wood came from my land, there was a large whack from another contractor who was clearing a site, and I've cleared homesites. A tree here and there from folks calling with one or two down, some come from a large farm nearby, we keep the old folks in firewood and get calls when a tree falls. One of the local deputies called a week or two ago, a neighbor had a walnut down.  I've been asked to bid a few small logging jobs but that is really outside of the toys I have or really my desire. After awhile folks start to know what you do.

Thank You Sponsors!