iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

570 hydro ax turn slow!

Started by Emptypockets, March 08, 2020, 10:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emptypockets

I have a 570 hydro ax joystick steering. All of a sudden it won't turn left or right. I cleaned out the pilot valve under the battery box and it worked great. Cut all day no issues. Got to work yesterday and won't turn again. Cleaned valve again nothing. I don't have a pressure gauge to check my pressures so I'm hoping that someone can say here's your problem or check here. I've got a mechanic coming tomorrow evening but I need to fix it in the morning if at all possible. Any help is appreciated 

mike_belben

Did you remove the relief cartridge in the pilot control valve?  My expectation is that its hanging open.  A temp gun will read a bit hotter right at the valve cartridge if it is.  And you may hear a funny sound thru a stethoscope or long screwdriver while listening at the cartridge.  If so its fluid flowing over the relief instead of doing work in the steer rams.

Cant hurt to give it a few love taps right there on the cartridge.

Was there any trash in the valve?  
Praise The Lord

Emptypockets

I've cleaned the valve multiple times I went and bought a new valve and just put on it. Also all filters. Same thing. It starts out turning slow and the longer it runs it'll get to where it won't turn at all. Also all my hydraulic functions get slower along with the steering. At first everything works fine except steering then it goes down hill. Nothing will work even cold unless it's almost full throttle. It started all of a sudden. It's not been a long drawn out deal. It was performing excellent then this started. Could it be a pump maybe and if so any way of determining which one without gauges? My mechanic is dragging his feet about getting here and I can't buy the stuff I need for my own gauges. Thanks

mike_belben

Yes, a pump with excess clearance between gears or vanes and pump housing will put out less flow volume which will reduce the pressure and probably the operating speed.   But a main system relief valve that is hanging open some or has a pitted or cracked seat will also allow a percentage of fluid to bypass the work cylinders and go back to tank.  This will cause low force and speed also.  But it will generate heat at the relief valve that can be located with an infrared heat gun. Its a very important hydraulic troubleshooting tool. 

Before spending any more on parts i would take the relief valve and/or pump apart and verify it is the issue.  The pump suction hose could also be collapsed inside if its black rubber.. Or there may be a clogged sump screen or filter in the system on the suction side.  

Does the engine load down and/or smoke like it used to when worked hard?  Still seen to have power?  Is there a torque convertor between the engine and the pump that could be low on fluid?
Praise The Lord

Emptypockets

I'm not thinking it's a pump issue due to the fact that it gave me problems all of a sudden and then I cleaned a valve and it run like a singer sewing machine until the next morning. Now it's back in limp mode and the longer you run it the worse it gets. Are you familiar with a priority valve located under the cab right above the driveshaft? I was told this afternoon that could cause my problems. Thanks

Emptypockets

Also I found the stuff I need to make up a pressure gauge so first thing in the morning I'll be checking pressures 

kiko

It is a piston pump and they will go out in an instant.  Pressure should be around 3000psi at stall.  There is also a priority valve that could be causing your issue. The pressure hose from the pump willl  go straight to the priority valve.

Emptypockets

Which pump will be my main pump? There's two or three on it

mike_belben

I have never touched one of those machines and only have general industrial hydraulic knowledge, kiko is definitely the man i hoped would answer. 
Praise The Lord

kiko

Sitting in seat, right hand side lower pump. The one on the top of the triangle pump box is the drive pump. Left side bottom pump is the saw pump.

Thank You Sponsors!