iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 385 problem.......frustrating

Started by MountainWood, March 13, 2005, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainWood

I purchased the saw from Baileys last week.  It came on Thursday......Friday morning had the local dealer set it up for our altitude.

I had chainsaw milled about 120 bft of walnut on Friday when the flywheel nut backed off and sheared the flywheel key.  Needless to say, it didn't run very well with the timing shot, so I took it back to the local Husky dealer.  He reset the flywheel and tightened the nut and I am back in business.  I milled another 130 bft with the saw and it ran just fine.

My question.......should I warranty the saw because the flywheel no longer has the built-in  key?  It runs just fine......the dealer says the only function the key has is timing, and he assured me it will not back off in the future.  He also said the nut was not tightened from the factory......... >:(

To the local Husky dealer's credit, he didn't give me grief for buying the saw from Baileys........he gave me a qoute that was $100 more than what I ended up paying for it.

It's a very powerful saw.......so much better than dinkin' around with my 61.

I'm still very happy with the saw, just frustrated that I had to spend another day driving 45 miles one way because someone at the factory spaced out tightening a nut.

MW
I saw, therefore I am.

jokers

Why not have your local dealer warranty a new flywheel for you and then buy some incidentals from him for his effort.

The flywheel may never move again but why take the chance?

Russ

Hoop

You bring up a problem faced by many. 

Forego paying your local shop a higher price by purchasing a chain saw via mail order/internet/etc.....and then hope no warranty repairs are needed.

I chalk it up to one of the risks involved.  Its a gamble.

Had you purchased the saw from your local shop, they would have corrected the problem at no charge.

Lobo

Quote from: MountainWood on March 13, 2005, 02:41:23 PM

I had chainsaw milled about 120 bft of walnut on Friday when the flywheel nut backed off and sheared the flywheel key.  Needless to say, it didn't run very well with the timing shot, so I took it back to the local Husky dealer.  He reset the flywheel and tightened the nut and I am back in business.  I milled another 130 bft with the saw and it ran just fine.

My question.......should I warranty the saw because the flywheel no longer has the built-in  key?  It runs just fine......the dealer says the only function the key has is timing, and he assured me it will not back off in the future.  He also said the nut was not tightened from the factory......... >:(

YES ! the saw is new and what if you should encounter further problems caused by this or related to this. 
How will huskies claims people view this and wright it up ? If I were one of them I would question why the customer did not have the problem fixed properly in the first place before causing further damage.

jokers

Quote from: Lobo on March 14, 2005, 09:29:18 AM
YES ! the saw is new and what if you should encounter further problems caused by this or related to this. 

Exactly! If you are extra nice to the dealer that is going to take care of you, maybe he can order the flywheel before you bring the saw back to the shop so that you don`t lose the saw for an extended period.

Don`t forget that you do owe this dealer, whom you originally circumvented because of price, atleast a small purchase from his inventory for taking care of you.

Russ

ehp

things you have to think about is did the flywheel when it came loose hit the coil, I am sure it did , now it could run forever but it could quite working  just as easy , your dealer is correct the keywheel on a chainsaw flywheel is for timing only it has nothing to do with holding the flywheel in place, myself I would see if the dealer will warranty the flywheel for a new one

Quartlow

By rights it doesn't matter where you bought it, if he is an authorized dealer for husky it should be a no brainer that it gets a warrenty job. They get paid to do warrenty work. It's not like its coming out of his pocket, it's coming out of huskies pocket.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

jokers

Quote from: Quartlow on March 16, 2005, 09:18:22 PM
By rights it doesn't matter where you bought it, if he is an authorized dealer for husky it should be a no brainer that it gets a warrenty job. They get paid to do warrenty work. It's not like its coming out of his pocket, it's coming out of huskies pocket.

Yeah Quartlow, and his saw can go promptly to the back of the bus too. It could be the FIRST one to be fixed after all of the customers saws are done. Furthermore, if the saw is running properly now, what warrants a warranty repair? I`ll bet that you can`t find anything in the Husky warranty that says the flywheel must have a key or it will be repaired free of charge. As long as the saw is running properly, it`s almost entirely up to dealer latitude to decide if the saw requires further repair.

I think that his local dealer treated him nicely with the original repair and reciprocally should be treated nicely by MountainWood next time he goes in for another warranty repair on his saw that he bought elsewhere based on price. If MW bought his saw elsewhere based on this dealers poor service it would be another issue, but then MW wouldn`t be there looking for a free repair either.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!