iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Log Cabin Build

Started by Justin10mm, March 23, 2020, 03:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin10mm

I'm new here and would like to share my cabin building project with anyone that's interested. Once I figure out how to post pictures.

I'm located in Texas. I've always wanted a log house of my own but financially could never afford one. I concluded that the only way I could ever get one was to make it myself from scratch.The drought of 2011 killed off almost all of our old growth eastern red cedar trees here. So I already had more than enough standing dead timber at my disposal, if I was willing to work for it. The main problem being accessing them in the dense brush of my 400 acre property.

Eastern red cedar is an extremely knotty and tapered tree. Using round logs was out of the question. I knew I was going to have to mill them square. In early 2016 I bought a new Stihl MS461 with a 30" bar and a Granberg Alaskan Mill. I already had their Mini Mill attachment and guide setup from a previous project, as well as my dad's old 034 Super AV. Felling and limbing would be split between an Echo 4400 and a Stihl MS260.

I started cutting trees that winter/spring of 2015/'16. And over the next 3 years when I wasn't cutting trees I was clearing paths to access trees. All by hand with a chainsaw and tractor to move the brush.

More to come...

tule peak timber

Justin, I would be interested in following your build. Sooner or later I will attempt a cabin myself and I'd like to learn from you. 
    Welcome to the Forum....Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Andries

Justin: welcome to the best forum on the interweb. I've built a few cedar shacks in the last 10 years - its fun, mostly.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

Welcome aboard!  I'll be following! :P

Picture posting is not that big a deal.  You will up load all the pictures you want to add to your posts into your gallery located on THIS web site (bottom of the list on the left OR use the "Click here to add Photos to your post" right below the typing window you used to post)

Once you upload pictures, put the cursor in your post where you want one to show up.  In the gallery window, you will see a "Add Picture to Post".  Just click on that and you are good to go.  Also, if you see an error (typo or such) in you post, you can always use the Modify (upper left of your post) to go back and edit.  There is a whole tutorial on how do do it but it really is simple.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

btulloh

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Looking forward to learning more about your cabin build and what you've done up to this point. Sounds very interesting. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!