iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I bought a monster

Started by homesteading, April 23, 2020, 07:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

memopad

I'm surprised the log loaders are on that side of the mill, seems backwards.

I recently had the idle side band wheel bearing go on my mill. Heard the engine start to bog down and smoke started coming out of the rear blade cover before I could disengage the drive. Happened really quickly! I was hoping I could get by with just replacing the bearing but when the bearing self destructed it damaged the spindle as well. Could have it repaired but I'll order a new assembly from Vallee to have a spare on hand. I have about 35 hours on the mill.
Vallee Green Monster mill
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Hitachi 35U mini excavator
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

fluidpowerpro

I'm pretty sure that I have read other threads on here about bearing issues on new Vallee Mills. Must be something with the design.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

bigblockyeti

35 hours for a bearing failure does seem way, way premature.  I would be very interested in what Vallee has to say about that and what's being done to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.  Real bummer that it managed to damage the spindle too.

memopad

I'm not sure if other manufacturers do the same, but it looks like Vallee is using a standard trailer style hub and wheel bearings with a custom spindle to carry the band wheel. Not sure what the wheel speed and load compares between the mill and a loaded trailer. 
Vallee Green Monster mill
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Hitachi 35U mini excavator
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

bigblockyeti

Quote from: memopad on December 28, 2022, 08:25:32 AM
I'm not sure if other manufacturers do the same, but it looks like Vallee is using a standard trailer style hub and wheel bearings with a custom spindle to carry the band wheel. Not sure what the wheel speed and load compares between the mill and a loaded trailer.
I know Wood-Mizer, Oscar & Cook sure as heck don't use trailer spindles, that's a bit disappointing to hear.  The sustained loads would be higher than if a small ~1500lb trailer hub were used but a larger hub off of a 5200lb or 7000lb axle would be more appropriate for the load, the speed is likely way high and would necessitate different grease and a different lube schedule.

They do look well built but if they're not also well engineered, it means very little.

barbender

I think bandwheel speeds are similar to trailer wheels at 60 mph. Band speeds range in the area of 4000-6000 feet per minute.
Too many irons in the fire

rusticretreater

Sounds to me like cheap chinese bearings.  I would be searching supplier catalogs for suitable replacements.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

bigblockyeti

Quote from: barbender on December 28, 2022, 11:21:40 AM
I think bandwheel speeds are similar to trailer wheels at 60 mph. Band speeds range in the area of 4000-6000 feet per minute.
Yes, but riding on 19-20" band wheels vs. 24-27" trailer tires.  I guess the little tiny trailer tire riding on 8" rims could be similar, I would also plan on failure around 35 hours with those at constant highway speeds.

Thank You Sponsors!