iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me LT 15, blade recommendations

Started by Lostinmn, May 12, 2020, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lostinmn

First a big THANK YOU to the forum and those that have shared your help with a newbie!  I've spent untold hours reading threads and have been grateful for those that have shared info directly and indirectly with me.

After searching for a mill this spring and missing out on one or two, a barn stored one-year old LT 15 with the 19 HP popped up near me on Sunday. After talking and making a deal I loaded up the trailer and hit the road yesterday.  Can't wait to get it set up this weekend and making sawdust!

It came with some new blades and some used I hope to get sharpened shortly. Ones that it came with are Wood Mizer Blades, 10 degree, General Purpose Part # B37515810S. I'll be cutting a mix of Tamarrack (eastern larch), spruce, Norway pine, some red oak and other misc. Also, I'm in MN so frozen logs in winter will be in the mix.

Wondering what other LT-15 owners are using both degree and brand wise in different wood types with the 19 hp gas?  Seems like 10 and 7 is most popular reading threads and polls.  I've read a lot of the threads, and power is often a topic in blade selections.  

Wondering what other LT 15 owners have found with similar HPs?

Thanks!!

Chuck White

Congratulations on the "new to you" mill!

Looks barely used!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Congrats to you on the new to you mill. I'd suggest you try a couple of 4 degree WM Double Hard blades especially if you are going to be cutting oak. I like them in softwoods like spruce too where there are hard knots that tend to want to make the blade jump a bit. I cut some 2 year old red oak heartwood yesterday and with a sharp new 4 degree blade it worked fine for me.  Keep us posted on your experiences. If you can find a new mistake to make please let us know because I think most of us have already made most of them and we will laugh with you and not at you for it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lazyflee

Congratulations, nice mill! I have 15wide. New to this myself. I've been using woodmizer double hard 4 degree and they cut great. Dealer gave them to me since I would be cutting frozen spruce. Now cutting thawed spruce, lodgepole pine and doug fir. They still work great on those. Guess I'll just keep using 4 degree as that's mostly the wood we have around here Have fun

firefighter ontheside

I use mostly 10 degree, but I bought some 4 degree to use for harder woods and frozen wood.  Trouble is I can't tell difference. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

I have the same mill and engine.  I only cut hardwood.  There really isn't any choice.  4 degree Double hard.  It takes more power to use any higher degree blade.  Think of the 4 degree as 1st gear.  10 degree is 4th gear.  It might work in softwood, I don't know, but it won't work in hardwood.  You'll just get waves and junk lumber.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Lostinmn

Thanks all!!  looks like 4 degree Double hard will be a good add for hardwoods and frozen to the 10 degree blades I have.  New box of 15 just ordered!

-Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!