iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Waiting out the weather....

Started by D6c, May 25, 2020, 08:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

The weather in spring always seems to take forever to settle down. ( southern Iowa)  We had 2 or 3 weeks of cold windy weather and now that it's warmed we've been in a pattern of humidity and thunderstorms.  
As a result the load of lumber on the solar kiln is going nowhere.  It's within 1% of where I want to finish it at but hasn't dropped any in 10 days.
Listened Wood Doc's webinar last Wed...was surprised to learn that GA has lower ave. humidity than places in upper midwest.  After this weather I can believe it.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is best that the vents are open less that 1% at the final stage in order that we get maximum heat build up.  This will help get the lowest MC.  Of course, you do need some sunshine.

P.S.  my family is from Marshalltown, IA.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

D6c

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on May 25, 2020, 09:16:14 AM

......P.S.  my family is from Marshalltown, IA.
Well then, you know how sticky humid it gets here in summer.  Air you can wear, as they say.

farmfromkansas

I live only 8 miles from the line Zebulon Pike set as the edge of the Great American desert.  My shop is running at 65% humidity, have a dehumidifier in the wood storage room, and it gets as low as 45% when the dehumidifier is running, and I dump it every day, holds a couple gallons, and it is back at 65%. Rains a little bit almost every day. Am not getting my hay put up.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!