iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air time

Started by Texas Ranger, July 26, 2020, 03:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Being the time of year for AC's to shoot craps, mine at the office did.  We have been cooling for the last 20 years with a big window unit, but not very successfully.  So, called my friendly AC guy and we talked, and I order an 18000 btu split unit.  Sticker shock was not real bad, but a lot more than a big window unit.  So we did it, installed yesterday, and where have split units been all my life?  Far more efficient, one unit cools 900 sq feet, it pulls the moisture down.  It is a  heat pump so I have both options now.
My office has not been under 80 degrees in a couple of years, started the new unit off at 75, and had to turn it up.

It could be I am getting old and the heat hits me heavier now than when I was running and gunning.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Sedgehammer

Necessity is the engine of drive

peakbagger

Hard to beat a mini split. I use one to heat my house in the fall and in the spring until the temps get below 20 F at night. A lot quieter.

Texas Ranger

hedgerow

You are going to like that mini split. I have had good luck installing the Daikin's. Most of them I have put in have been to get AC and heat in the up stairs of old house's with no duct work up stairs. Have taken a few PTAC units out of small offices and four season porches and replace with the mini splits. So much quieter. 

Crusarius

Those units sure have come a long way. The one on my house is ground mounted and at least 30" square by 30" tall.

It also does not have heat.

alan gage

Those mini-splits always seem so nice. It's gets too cold here to make efficient use of the heat pump in winter so not many get installed.

Enjoy!

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Crusarius

Heat pumps only work over a certain temperature? I have radiant floor heat I bet that would be a nice mid season heat.

alan gage

Quote from: Crusarius on July 27, 2020, 12:58:46 PM
Heat pumps only work over a certain temperature? I have radiant floor heat I bet that would be a nice mid season heat.
As I remember from when I was looking into them efficiency starts to drop off at lower temps until eventually an internal electric heater engages to keep up the heat output, making them more expensive to run. I'm in climate zone 6 and at that time we were just on the "not really recommended" side though people do use them. Perhaps efficiency has increased since then (8 years ago).
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Texas Ranger

As I was enjoying the air in my office, my wife calls.  AC at the house is out.  So it goes, July in Texas.

Texas Ranger

New unit at office extracted 3 gallons of water out of 900 square foot building in 12 hours.  Window units never got close to this.  Can you guess I am impressed?

Thank You Sponsors!