The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Getting the most out of a log with Dr. Gene, 7/29/20 webinar  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
Re: Getting the most out of a log with Dr. Gene, 7/29/20 webinar
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 07:24:14 AM »
BTW, Gene has another live one coming up Next weds. titled "Improving Edging & Trimming Practices for Maximum Return" and I plan to make that one too. The only difference between watching it live or recorded after the fact is being able to ask questions. Posing questions is done well in his presentations, but I am finding the Gene is such a good instructor that he answers all my questions (so far) soon after I formulate them in my head and before I finish typing them.
 As someone who used to teach and present technical information in formal settings, I very much enjoy watching a good instructor at work regardless of the material. Gene is one of the best I've seen. I am enjoying these videos tremendously and learning a lot even after having read his books.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »
yes I got in and watched the first quarter of the drying part 1.  OG it must be the engineer (pardon my French) in you that made you want to think you could not exceed 100%.. i used to wonder if it was 2% per day and if each day it dropped total water loss as the % of a smaller and smaller number.  lots to learn.  I think that is why the drying guys like it this way and then the loss in water weight each day can remain constant.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »
yes I got in and watched the first quarter of the drying part 1.  OG it must be the engineer (pardon my French) in you that made you want to think you could not exceed 100%.. i used to wonder if it was 2% per day and if each day it dropped total water loss as the % of a smaller and smaller number.  lots to learn.  I think that is why the drying guys like it this way and then the loss in water weight each day can remain constant.
Yes Doc, you are right. When he got to the point of explaining that, as well as explaining how an engineer would figure it, I thought he was talking directly to me as if he was inside my head. It was a little spooky, but he nailed it and now it makes sense. As for WHY it is done that way, I liked his answer: "Just because, that's the way they decided to do it". Works for me. Some things you just have to accept as is. I just need to understand it in order to gain a working knowledge of how all this stuff relates, which is my end goal for now.
I just completed the second session, more good stuff. I can see myself going back and watching these all again in a few months to strengthen what I learned and put to use and remind of the stuff I missed or didn't quite get right. AT the end of that session (2) he warns that the book will be used more for the 3rd session and there will be a lot more detail involved. "Get a good's nights sleep before it" he advises. So I will take the hint and re-read that book before I watch the session. There are a few charts I just could not figure out, one of which he explained in the second session and that turned out to be an eye opener of new knowledge for me which I think opened the door to understanding more about kiln cycles and schedules.
Knowledge is power.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »

Yes Doc, you are right. When he got to the point of explaining that, as well as explaining how an engineer would figure it, I thought he was talking directly to me as if he was inside my head. It was a little spooky, 
That had to be kind of scary for Dr. Wengert too, I hope he made it back out ok!!!   :D :D :D
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 10:28:12 AM »
That had to be kind of scary for Dr. Wengert too, I hope he made it back out ok!!!   :D :D :D
I am pretty confident he made it out OK. 
 I have been diverted this morning reading (yet) another of his papers, this one is on log grading. Another subject which is a bit of a dark art to me. Trying to get a feel for the concepts. "Guidelines for Grading Hardwood Logs". (1994)

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »
" dark art", so conjuring Harry Potter?  I agree.  I now understand the algebraic derivation of the other equations that are simpler to use, but not as intuitively understood.  i watched most of the first, since I am on a long work stint.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »
I don't know who this Potter fella is. Does he run a Timberking or a Woodmizer? No, dark art is a term I made up which is somewhere in between a grey area and Black magic.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »
well you might like it, could watch it with the grandsons.  and he wears a hat like yours!   :o :o :o :) :) :)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2020, 05:01:48 PM »
well you might like it, could watch it with the grandsons.  and he wears a hat like yours!   :o :o :o :) :) :)

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
Yeah I know who he is now. That doesn't look much like any hat I have (well maybe one of my Stetson's, but my 4x beavers don't get rumpled like that). Doc, you do know that is all fiction, right?  :D ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Webinar

Started by beenthere on Shows, Events and Places to meet

1 Replies
Last post August 22, 2006, 10:07:46 PM
by Don P
xx
How to record a webinar?

Started by DouginUtah on General Board

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 02:53:54 PM
by AvT