iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well this was different

Started by Nomad, September 11, 2020, 06:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Yesterday evening I got a call from a Georgia number.  Didn't answer it; they didn't leave a message. 
     Early this afternoon I got a text message from a different out of state number referencing that call.  They said they were sending pics of the logs I'd asked for.  They also asked for a copy of my liability insurance including company, policy number, and whether is was applicable in Georgia.
     Alarm bells went off all over the place.  I stated to him that I didn't recall any such conversation, and I didn't work in Georgia. 
     Could be that he talked to some other sawyer and mixed up the numbers.  I dunno.
     Anybody else had something like this happen?  It could be innocent and naive, but...  I'm past being a trusting person.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JoshNZ

It's an awfully unlikely punt on their part if it is a scam lol they going to send you your logs in the post once you paid?

terrifictimbersllc

Some people have cell phones from other states and don't change their numbers. Contact sounds not too abnormal just like some younger person to me but I wouldn't send out info unless you can get it back on track. Acord certificates have a place for name/address of certificate holder (customer). But that comes after you are both on the same page.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Sounds like someone is looking for a sawyer and mixed up who to call. Is your number on your website or someplace else online? 

I had someone call a few weeks ago wanting to head right over to pick up another product we sell (turf), they were legit, asked how far we were from some University I never heard of, that made me ask a few questions about where they were coming from. Turns out they were in California and had been given the wrong location number to call. She was very apologetic even though it wasn't her fault. It happens. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Sounds like they might have called several sawyers and got mixed up about who they sent pictures to. ??  It could have been legit.

I just got a call from Alabama while I was reading this.  Google Maps shows him 262 miles away and 4 hr 16 min driving time.  Huge 41" butt SYP log and 60'+ to the bottom limb. :o That plus he has a couple more to take down.  It would be next year before I could possibly get to him and I did not tell him "no".  We shall see.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

This sounds like they called a half dozen other sawyers and got your number mixed up with a different one that answered the night before. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

I'm sure that's all it was.  Asking for details about insurance and policy numbers put me off more than anything else.  What's to stop them from making a claim, even if you don't do the job?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

I agree. They ain't getting any of my personal information.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Quote from: Nomad on September 14, 2020, 11:30:01 AM
    I'm sure that's all it was.  Asking for details about insurance and policy numbers put me off more than anything else.  What's to stop them from making a claim, even if you don't do the job?
Nothing - except for the whole insurance fraud issue.  First thing that would happen is your insurance company would ask you for your version of the events.  When you tell them there were no events life would become bad for the other party.  Really noting to worry about at all.  It's pretty customary to provide a "certificate of insurance" to companies that you do business with.  Basically your insurance company sends them proof of your policy, complete with your name, address (or that of your company if that is how you are set up) and policy info - number, valid date, limits, etc.  It also assures them that if your policy were to cancel they are notified.  I end up doing it rather often, especially with leased land.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!