iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entry Level Processors

Started by mike_belben, October 26, 2020, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallys World

Usually, you can flip the log around to get it flat on the bed and "work" it thru pretty good. I guess I need to figure out the YouTube thing and do a couple of videos of it running. Sometime manufactures videos are made in "perfect" conditions.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

moodnacreek

Quote from: DDW_OR on October 27, 2020, 01:43:59 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on October 26, 2020, 07:19:59 PM
I have to build it in a way that a guillotine circle saw can still go on in the future
my one cent idea.
how about electric motor for the circle saw
Has to be 3 phase 480 volt. If you are not under the wires you need a genset at 3 times the amps you run on. That means a diesel less than half that size will run the processer.

drlewis

i have a turner firewood processor with 6 way hyd adj wedge for a few years honda 690 it will do a cord an hr with good wood been a great machine ,any repairs are mostly due to me or gf. change oil every 50 hrs , have over 3,000 hrs on it still runs great,new hyd piston at 2800 hrs service from bill turner is great and now he moved back to nh so 30 minutes from me so its close.buy another one if i were younger

GRANITEstateMP

drlewis,

Is that the same outfit that makes the mills?  I've seen a few pics of one of there processors, they looked good. Any idea if they still make and sell them??? Did you buy it new, if so, what was the cost and what size wood can it handle?

Thanks!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

barbender

Here's a Sunday question (I know the Amish won't be answering the phone at Dyna😊)- I ask it here because I know Belben will see it😁 On this Dyna SC-14 I picked up, I have 2, perhaps interrelated issues. 1 is the engine overspend condition. I tried the static governor adjustment, didn't help. After running it a bit (throttled back to the proper rpms) I'm leaning towards a gunked carb from sitting, which the governor is compensating for with the overspeed. I'll be pulling the carb to look it over soon.  The second issue is the saw is feeding too hard, and will stall the chain. Now this could be due to the engine being a bit short on power, but it seems to cut great. I turned the saw relief back a bit, which alleviates the stalling issue, but then the saw goes about 3/4 through the travel cutting at good speed, and then the feed slows down to about nothing. I rented a Dyna a few times before and seem to remember having a similar issue on that one. Any thoughts?
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

I probably cant be much help on the governor barbender.  Ive only had one overspeeding engine and its a honda powered push mower.  My solution is to just run real fast through overgrown lawn to keep it bogged down to a non-explosive rpm.  It gets the lawn mowed pretty fast.  $40 mower.. I just put gas, pull the cord and GO! 

Do any of the carburetor screw adjustnents made a difference?  Choke or governor setting change anything?  

On the saw.. Is the bar raising by a valve manual stroke or by an accumulator automatically bringing it up? If its an accumulator, is the tank running out of oil?  

I would think tightening the saw motor relief valve to raise the pressure in the saw motor would keep it cutting.  And/or slowing the bar travel rate down.. ?  
Praise The Lord

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

drlewis

yes turner mills makes them i payed 15,000 for processer 4500 for 20 ft  honda powered conveyer. he still makes them , i have done real nasty tree company wood up to 22in anything bigger i  use the cone screw to make smaller auto valve started dripping oil today new o rings monday i live in candia not far you 10 miles from  rt 156

barbender

Mike I think I would pay money to watch you do a few laps while trying to keep that mower at a non-explosive rpm😂 

The saw feed works on a sequencing valve I think, you engage the clamp, once it hits the log the saw comes down. There is a relief, but I have it where if I put any more pressure to it, it stalls the saw. It has a spring linkage, I guess it must be to absorb a bit of shock if you hit something that cuts hard? I'm not really sure, I tried adjusting that and it seemed to help a bit, but not much. It could very well be a moisture issue, it oils the sawchain with hydraulic oil and it was not oiling. I pulled the one end of the line off and couldn't get oil, so I took the hole thing off and finally got it blown out. It wasn't froze, but something was odd and the oil in it was a bit milky. Cleaned it all out and got it oiling. Our temps are hovering around either side of freezing, that really brings moisture issues to the fore. As I said before, this machine has been sitting for who knows how long, so she'll have some bugs to work out.

mike_belben

Wish i knew more, but I dont have any hands-on experience with barsaws, just youtube benchracing them.. Its why my first machine will use a chainsaw, to limit how many new challenges i will have to sort out at one time. 

Is it the same oil spinning the chain and oiling and bringing the saw down?  I think id have to see a schematic of what oil is going where to be of any use.  My guess is the saw motor pressure/volume is low for any number of reasons.

@kiko is your man for bar saws
Praise The Lord

Corley5

@barbender  Run some Sea Foam Trans Tune through your hydraulics.  It won't hurt if it doesn't help.  My Block Buster gets some now and again ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Corley, I'll try that- I happen to have a bottle on the shelf👍

Mike, I agree. If I was building one I'd just use a gas chainsaw, ut would eliminate a lot of trial and error.

BargeMonkey

Mike, come take that .404 saw assembly I've got out back if it helps get your processor built, it's all there, cylinder, arbor, saw. 
 Bells aren't cheap, my buddy bought an early 4000 barsaw model which is a nice machine used for 30k. I've got 115k in mine counting the tumbler / 2 conveyors and extending the livedeck. 

stavebuyer

Quote from: barbender on November 01, 2020, 02:48:56 PM
Here's a Sunday question (I know the Amish won't be answering the phone at Dyna😊)- I ask it here because I know Belben will see it😁 On this Dyna SC-14 I picked up, I have 2, perhaps interrelated issues. 1 is the engine overspend condition. I tried the static governor adjustment, didn't help. After running it a bit (throttled back to the proper rpms) I'm leaning towards a gunked carb from sitting, which the governor is compensating for with the overspeed. I'll be pulling the carb to look it over soon.  The second issue is the saw is feeding too hard, and will stall the chain. Now this could be due to the engine being a bit short on power, but it seems to cut great. I turned the saw relief back a bit, which alleviates the stalling issue, but then the saw goes about 3/4 through the travel cutting at good speed, and then the feed slows down to about nothing. I rented a Dyna a few times before and seem to remember having a similar issue on that one. Any thoughts?
Dyna used to offer 2 engines on the SC14. I had the bigger 38hp Kohler in mine and it would still bog down in a large log if the chain was sharp. I don't see how a smaller engine would pull the saw properly. Mine had sat for while before I got it and I had some governor issues. The trouble was in the springs/linkages. Some carb cleaner and WD 40 did wonders.

mike_belben

Barge i will probably have to take you up on that but i cant take it for free.  Think up something youre in need of that i can look out for in the meanwhile.  I think i may be passing by this winter. Thanks buddy
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

I have my eye on a cordming 1814 I think it's called.
Hopefully next year some time. 
Or just an Easten Made axis
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mike_belben

This guy has a good floating wedge layout.  I do like the window frame setups so the knives have double securement.

Home Made Wood Processor CEPILEC Holzspalter +386 (0)41 893 305 - YouTube
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: mike_belben on November 02, 2020, 08:19:06 AM
Barge i will probably have to take you up on that but i cant take it for free.  Think up something youre in need of that i can look out for in the meanwhile.  I think i may be passing by this winter. Thanks buddy
Mike let me know when you are headed for Conesville and I'll try to make it up there to buy you a cup of coffee. Do you prefer to meet in uptown, downtown, or midtown Conesville? :Dor perhaps up the hill at that big logyard firewood place where the Elk roam all day and often is heard a discouraging word? ;D
 Barge is only an hour from me and it's a lovely drive from my end.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Hilltop366

@ around 5:24 in that video I see springs on the saw feed linkage. Looks like it may have a single acting hyd cylinder to lift the saw bar and springs to lower saw for the cut, perhaps a flow adjustment on the cylinder to control the lowering speed?

jmur1

Quote from: mike_belben on November 02, 2020, 09:22:00 AM
This guy has a good floating wedge layout.  I do like the window frame setups so the knives have double securement.

Home Made Wood Processor CEPILEC Holzspalter +386 (0)41 893 305 - YouTube
I have the side support similar to the window frame concept.  My only comment on this is go bigger than you think you need by 1 1/2x.  I am always fighting for space in my "closed in top" wedge compared to my open wedge.  However the closed in one is made from much lighter thickness material and does not bend at all like the open one does.  Right now the open design has been bent up so bad over the last run I need to rework it.

jmur1

Easy does it

jmur1

Here is the open wedge after last weeks run.  Top arms are bent up and bottom ones are bent down.  It is now popping out of the side supports every 10 splits or so.  Good times!

You have to like that white rain this morning....
Easy does it

mike_belben

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 02, 2020, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on November 02, 2020, 08:19:06 AM
Barge i will probably have to take you up on that but i cant take it for free.  Think up something youre in need of that i can look out for in the meanwhile.  I think i may be passing by this winter. Thanks buddy
Mike let me know when you are headed for Conesville and I'll try to make it up there to buy you a cup of coffee. Do you prefer to meet in uptown, downtown, or midtown Conesville? :Dor perhaps up the hill at that big logyard firewood place where the Elk roam all day and often is heard a discouraging word? ;D
Barge is only an hour from me and it's a lovely drive from my end.
Will do.  Up to you, pretty sure he owns all 3 locations anyway.  I just sit in the passenger seat and hang on tight. 
Quote from: Hilltop366 on November 02, 2020, 09:38:31 AM
@ around 5:24 in that video I see springs on the saw feed linkage. Looks like it may have a single acting hyd cylinder to lift the saw bar and springs to lower saw for the cut, perhaps a flow adjustment on the cylinder to control the lowering speed?
Look close and youll note that the tension springs are pulling the bar into the wood and it retracts against them.  To trim a second off the bar travelling from home to bark without turning up the flow rate and having too much feed rate in the cut which will pull the piece or stall the motor, cook the bar etc. 
 Im guessing the bar is on its own circuit rather than being parallel into the clamp or saw motor circuit with flow dividers and reliefs and such.  It is simple on its own circuit but you only get one feed speed from that.   The fancy machines fling right down fast then cut at a different feed rate but it takes some voodoo fluid magic.  

Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Mike come take it, rather see it get used and you can pay it forward to someone else than someone come to my yard and think they are going to buy something for nothing. I will box it UPS if you needed. 

Everything you need for a processor right there ☝️ All done. Arbor, cylinder, motor, .404 bar mounts. 

mike_belben

Wow that really is the whole 9 yards right there.. Thank you very much eric, very kind of you.. I will let you know when ill be passing through with the kids. 

smiley_thumbsup
Praise The Lord

Wallys World

Wayne on the trailer loading the splits into it. I didn't move the conveyor up to the house so he stood in the trailer to move the wood forward. Put the 4 way wedge on. 6 x 10 foot dump, 1 foot over the side boards in 2 hours.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Thank You Sponsors!