iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entry Level Processors

Started by mike_belben, October 26, 2020, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Hey fellas, just curious if any of you can shed some light on where prices start on firewood processors.  There are a sea of them out there and im not ever gonna buy one but i just want to sort of quantify what i am spending to build what im building vs what it would cost to buy in a manufactured product.  

Definition wise for this purpose, anything that takes a log and pushes out a stream of cut and split wood is of interest.  I dont care if you have to add your own chainsaw or trailer axles or conveyor.  Box store splitters start at what, $900 and go to 3grand?  Barebones firewood processors start at...  8grand?  12?  And cadillac machines run up to ... 150k?  200k?  

Please throw out a brand and model name with any price you mention so we can look at the features you get for the money.  

Praise The Lord

Tin Horse

Mike. I bought a Bell 1000 ( the baby) in 2016. Bar saw with 36 hp Subaru engine. It was their first one. I had them add an oil cooler, seat, and hydraulic log stop. At the time it was tuff justifying the expense for a small firewood producer. At the time I knew it was a good deal so got it . It's been flawless each year. As for the price it listed out at about $39000.00 Cdn last year. I paid roughly half that. So the way I look at it as with a lot of machinery it pays for itself and holds value better than some investments. At least this is what I tell myself and the wife. Sorry no pics but the one on their site is mine.
Hope this helps.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

mike_belben

That is very helpful TH.. Thank you!  And it also shows what is happening to our currency.   Prices doubling in under a decade isnt good. 
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

used 2008 multitek 1610ez in 2013 was $18,000
Cord an hour

this is not mine but simular

Subaru Industrial Power | Multitek North America Testimonial - YouTube

"let the machines do the work"

barbender

Here's my thought for an entry level machine, and Mike you're just the guy with the brains and scrap access to build one. Look at the Halverson skid steer processors. Having to have something like that tying up my skid didn't appeal to me, plus it is hard to see the splitter box. I think a stand alone unit built along those lines with it's own motor for the hydraulics for the splitter, but using a gas chainsaw to cut would be a great entry level machine. Most entry level machines don't impress me much for the $$$. I just went and picked up a Dyna SC-14 I bought at an auction, it's a 2016 with 32 hours, got it for about half of new. I couldn't justify the full new price on one.
Too many irons in the fire

GRANITEstateMP

Mike, my Hakki Pilke 1x37 was around $17,000 new? I bought it second hand (from a county jail!) for somewhere around 7k-ish? I was running it off the pto of the tractor before I got my self contained pto unit. It's paid for itself a few times over.  I'd love to upgrade a bit, not into a huge payment, just the next step up, something with a live deck and takes bigger diameter
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

jmur1

My four year build was very costly.  I had a bit too much trial and error which translates into costly spare parts.  I did have fun though...
I would say copy copy copy and you can save alot of cash.  I know from reading your posts Mike that you already know all this.

I also belong to the Facebook groups :

Homemade Firewood Processors, Wood Splitters, Sawmills & Fabrication
and
Homemade Firewood Processors,Log Splitters,Kindling Machines And Ideas

there is alot of homemade stuff on there include some machines for sale.

Guy (in the first one) in Florida has one for sale right now:  

Allis Chalmers diesel 32" stroke 6" ram.
Cable winch , 36" saw and 7 way wedge.
Needs a few minor things. Works right now.

pm me if you want the number.

jmur1

Easy does it

Nathan4104

The Blacks Creek 1500 that I have is what id call an entry level commercial machine.  Cord an hour on 13hp.  About $15g to get to work.  
Most homeowner grade machines (red runner, range road, etc) seem to be $6-10g  range. 
I'd think a guy like yourself could make a nice processor..... skip the hydraulic adjustable wedge and make it manual with a lever. Have a manual log hold or just use your arm. Mines this way and it's fine.  
Chainsaw on a pivot.  
Use as small a cylinder For splitting as you figure will work for faster cycle times. The tough pieces just don't try the 4 way wedge. The odd piece on low speed mode is cheaper than huge hp. 
You need an outfeed conveyor to get rid of the wood.  A log lift or deck is handy but depending on your machinery at hand maybe you could skip that. I can roll 3-4-5-6 8' logs on my lift, keeps a good work flow it seems. A live table that held a cord would be a nice time saver, but then it needs to be big enough to hold a cord, a machine to load it.....
Some neat rigs using winches to feed the logs in, or using the split action to draw the log ahead for the next cut.  
Wallenstien makes a nifty processor like this but again, in that $15g range. 
I'd think with a good scrap supply a guy could build a nifty machine for a few grand. 
Sizing everything tho is all gonna depend on ones local wood supply. My machine wouldn't do much good down your way with big knarly heavy hardwoods, but those big circle saws can't make any $ chopping 4" birch either :) 

mike_belben

You guys are on point today.  My build has been built in my head and on paper 50x over by now and i just need to wait a little bit longer to begin.  I have a new 22 hp predator, 28gpm 2stage pump 25gpm valve and a 395xp going on a pivot like my limbing station for now.  The log tray will be slaved to the split ram halverson style in a way you guys havent seen.  I have to build it in a way that a guillotine circle saw can still go on in the future for when i get tired of removing the chainsaw to refill it. Its been about 6 years of looking and a cheap circle saw has yet to come find me so im just going chainsaw until it does.. 395 is a fast, tidy package with no bugs that i already paid for and its gots plenty of power for any size wood. 

A one cord deck and short conveyor are for sure.  since i have a 1cord forestry trailer and a forklift that takes the whole bundle in one pick i need a deck that will take it all in one drop or im wasting way too much time.  I thin out junk wood mostly under 14" or so.  My old splitter will go on the bobcat for breaking down any occasional big blocks while seated, but i really dont have them often.  

Big thing for me is to make sure the design of my starter machine does not pigeon hole me into it staying a starter machine.  Im trying to start with literally one valve and grow from there, hopefully without any major component choice errors.   I have an 80hp diesel deere that could go on when it has grown into a big boy machine if i dont screw it up.  Looking to build something i can get up and splitting in two weeks and just keep adding as i go without torching much off. 
Praise The Lord

Corley5

I paid about $17,500 for my 14-12 Block Buster new in December of 2005.  A couple years later I picked up a lightly used Built Rite conveyor for around $5,000.  Thousands of face cords later these machines owe me nothing.  Third GX670 on the processor, third splitter valve, replaced the original valve body last summer and all hydraulic hoses.  Replaced the original belt on the conveyor last summer too.  I've thought about replacing the machines and upgrading them a bit but how many more years do I want to do firewood ??? ???  New 14-12 Enhanced was close to $27,000 last time I checked.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

mike_belben

Those are the kinda hours i intend to put on it.  Once the gear is built and yard layout is finalized around it, i aim to buy in dually loads of HW pulp from little loggers.  They have no where to get rid of it and theres no firewood market in summer. So process all summer and deliver all winter.  Need to build a machine that can handle twisty stuff. 

After that line is done in a few years, maybe think about a scrag mill to feed the same junky wood into from the little guys. Pallet shop up the road is having to go all over to source cants and stringers lately. And my boy will need to be kept busy to stay out of trouble. 
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Quote from: mike_belben on October 26, 2020, 07:19:59 PM
 I have to build it in a way that a guillotine circle saw can still go on in the future
my one cent idea.
how about electric motor for the circle saw
"let the machines do the work"

jmur1

Quote from: DDW_OR on October 27, 2020, 01:43:59 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on October 26, 2020, 07:19:59 PM
I have to build it in a way that a guillotine circle saw can still go on in the future
my one cent idea.
how about electric motor for the circle saw
Hp would be the big challenge.  These blades take significant power to run - upwards of 75-200 Hp.  Electric would work but cost for a motor that size$$$!

jmur1
Easy does it

GRANITEstateMP

Mike, next time you take a trip to the Commonwealth to get a load of your stuff, keep on trucking up to the "Live Free or Die" state. Your more than welcome to test drive the "Hockey Puck" 1x37, see what you like or don't like, take measurements or pics, whatever floats your boat!  Sometimes running something, even if it's different than your idea of ideal, may trigger a new idea???

Plus, its got a pretty simple, yet effective, manual height adjust wedge 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

mike_belben

Appreciate the offer.. Stranger things have happened.  I think i still have some yard art up in amherst NH.  I was in raymond and derry last year, right up the road from you i think.. ? 

think i might know one of your selectmen actually.. Alden 
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Ha! Small world. Raymond is the next town over, and Alden is in Northwood. I did see him last week, he's my fresh lobster hook-up!  He said lobster fishing is like farming, you eat a lot of diesel fumes, go around in circles, work long hours, weather is always against ya  and don't make much $$$.  :D

Next time your in the Derry/Raymond area swing in to try out the processor,  8 minutes from Pawtuckaway State Park
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

mike_belben

There are a lot of businesses like that!  I keep the mileage down playing housewife, and pocket about the same.  Which was none anyways but now i have palmolive hands and time to watch soaps. 
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on October 28, 2020, 06:17:35 PM
Ha! Small world. Raymond is the next town over, and Alden is in Northwood. I did see him last week, he's my fresh lobster hook-up!  He said lobster fishing is like farming, you eat a lot of diesel fumes, go around in circles, work long hours, weather is always against ya  and don't make much $$$.  :D

Next time your in the Derry/Raymond area swing in to try out the processor,  8 minutes from Pawtuckaway State Park
I have never been around commercial fishing but your friend sure hit the nail on the head about the way farming is. I had to have a job in town for 30 plus years so I could keep farming and if I ever get my health straighten around I may be back in town working again. 

Wallys World

Mike, I have a Wallenstein WP835 processor. You use your own chaisaw in it. I use a Stihl MS440 with a 24 inch bar. Max of the processor is 22 inches. I have both a 4 and 6 way wedge. There are pictures in my gallery plus a thread on it. I have a 30 foot double chain elevator on the backend for loading.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Wallys World

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

mike_belben

Quote from: Wallys World on October 30, 2020, 09:14:54 AM
Mike, I have a Wallenstein WP835 processor. You use your own chaisaw in it.
Thanks wally, what do they cost?  
Praise The Lord

Wallys World

If I remember correctly around 13,000. That is with both wedges and the pivoting chain saw holder. My dealer is in Orange VA.

Hilltop366

If I may, a question for Wally, wondering how you like the winching the log up the splitter?

The reason I ask is I sometimes hear criticism of slow and dirty logs doing it that way but the attraction I see is it is a complete operation with no need for any other expensive equipment or the ability to free up your tractor for moving the wood after split. There are other processors with log loaders but it still requires you to roll the log on to the loader.

Wallys World

I also have a Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer that I use to position the logs in front of the infeed ramp. I went with this model for a few reasons. I like the idea of not having to use the tractor to load a deck all the time, it will take a 22" log, I can use my chainsaw and control the speed of the cut instead of "ramming" the bar thru the wood. I run a semi-chisel chain on the saw which is more forgiving to dirt and debris. I can usually run around 4 hours then sharpen the chain. I have a cordless Dremel tool with a diamond hone in it for sharpening. The winching speed isn't that slow, it really move some times too fast. It is hydraulic off the the pump. One pump, two functions, I usually make the cut, let it split, then when the splitter is retracting advance the log. By time the log is in position the ram is back ready for the next cut. 

This load was in about 2 hours by myself. This is before I brought the elevator down from New York last fall. That is a 6 x 10 dump trailer with 3 foot sides. Most of the time I was shuffling wood to the front of the trailer. For tomorrow, I moved it up to next to my house on Wednesday, we are going to cut a bunch of wood that the tree service guys dumped in our field. I did not move the conveyor up, but I have help tomorrow.

Hilltop366

Thank for the reply.

Any issues feeding crooked logs? I'm thinking it my be better than a feed conveyer to tray.

Thank You Sponsors!