iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A bit lazy with wood cutting while oil is reasonable

Started by gspren, November 06, 2020, 06:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

It's been warm this week so only cut a little and then yesterday got my heating oil tank filled at $1.69 gal so I'm in no hurry to run the OWB. I started it Monday and shut down Tuesday just to make sure it was OK.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

Had a guy I used to work with years ago call me the other day to tell me a co worker from the old days had passed away. I told him I was sorry I had missed his call earlier in the day that I had been blocking up firewood and didn't hear the phone. He said you still burning wood with propane being so cheap I told him I hadn't bought propane in 11 years. I told him I was still running 10-15 cord threw the Garn a year. He was surprised. 

gspren

I didn't stop cutting, just slowed down, yesterday I cut and split for about 3 hours and today I hauled that in from the woods and stacked it. These past few days with high temps in the mid 70s don't help.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Wood Shed

I have kept right on cutting even though my wood shed is full on the inside and the over hang is full on one side.  I have a neighbor that sold his CB 6048 and is now using propane also.  

It is not about saving money for me and never has been.  I have been thinking about cutting some for a friend that is near by.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

hedgerow

Quote from: Wood Shed on November 09, 2020, 06:00:23 PM
It is not about saving money for me and never has been.  I have been thinking about cutting some for a friend that is near by.
You hit the nail on the head by the time I figure the cost of equipment and the money I give the two guys that help me and they don't ask for money as I also let them hunt some nice deer land I have a fair amount of money in my 10-15 cord. I still have pastures that need cleaned up so as long as I still can get some help I will keep burning wood. One of these summers I may shut the Garn down and not heat domestic water for the summer and just use propane for the water heater. 

SwampDonkey

Quote from: gspren on November 06, 2020, 06:12:50 PM
It's been warm this week so only cut a little and then yesterday got my heating oil tank filled at $1.69 gal so I'm in no hurry to run the OWB. I started it Monday and shut down Tuesday just to make sure it was OK.
Double that up here. It never will be cheaper than wood in this part of the world. Propane costs more than gasoline to. I remember all them hunting sports at the camps from the US going over the Maine to fill their propane, never bought none here in Canada and that has been for the past 40 years. :D

Been cutting a few sticks this fall to, for next year. It's been too warm right now to get motivated, but when the frosty days return I'm going to be cutting a lot more. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Spike60

Most people that burn wood will always do so regardless of the price of oil/propane. They may burn less if oil is cheap enough, but they seldom abandon wood altogether. Especially those of us who cut our own wood. Guessing most of us here enjoy the whole process. But even the guys who come in my store who sell wood say they can't keep up with orders. Everyone wants to stock up in an uncertain time.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

peakbagger

I must admit that I put 200 gallons in one of my oil tanks a month or so ago. First time I have added bought oil for 5 years. I got behind on wood last year and still catching up with 2 year dry inventory. My wood boiler storage is only 500 gallons so if I go out of town for more than few days its good to have oil backup. I have minisplit for supplemental heat but its not so good below zero. 

Iwawoodwork

I the last 4-5 days when I went on a parts run there was a sign at one of the stations that sell propane for $1.79, it had been running from $2.50-3-50.

Al_Smith

It's been so warm here the last several years I doubt I burn much more than 2 cords .Usually on a normal winter from late November to mid,late March it's 4 to 4 1/2 cords .
When the temperature gets much above mid 30's it's hard to regulate the temperature . Otherwise the geo-thermal does a fine job .
I suppose I might have 5 cords split and stacked and another 5 laying in rounds .Three times that amount in standing dead and at least that dead on the ground .

Thank You Sponsors!