iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stainless steel chimney liner

Started by Bruno of NH, November 14, 2020, 02:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I got everything prepared any my mill helpers two sons came over this afternoon. 
We had my new double wall liner down the chimney and a fire going in 35 minutes. 
It's nice to have good friends .
I paid her 2 sons .
Guys charge $3,500 for this stuff.
30 ' liner kit $640
$50 each to the sons and a 12 pack of bud light.
I'm happy
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

We had a chimney fire in a house we owned in Jacksonville NC while I was in USMC there. It got so hot it cracked the flue. Was going to be very expensive to replace the bricks and blocks but a liner was a cheap and easy fix and they are much easier to clean. I have one on this house too. I think, if they aren't already, they should be mandatory code item on all chimneys (If they even allow fireplaces on any new construction). Sounds like you nailed this one.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

47sawdust

Sounds like the new hired help is working out better than you imagined  8).
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bruno of NH

Mick it is her husband is a long time friend.
He help but she organised the whole thing because she know I don't get around to good.
Her son's are good guys hardworkers .
I'm glad to have my wood heat back.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

GRANITEstateMP

Bruno, We had the liner put in 4 or 5 years ago after a liner crack due to moisture getting in via the outside. My brother in law is our sweep, for the first time in my life I used my homeowners insurance, he was able to bury the deductible. You'll love the liner, we sure do!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Al_Smith

It was a few years ago I installed a 7" stainless single wall inside an existing 9" clay liner .I bought the liner at a building supply company rather than a so called stove shop for a fraction of the cost .
The problem was because it's an insert inside of a fire place flue it did not generate enough heat to prevent creosote build up .The stainless liner took care of that problem .

cutterboy

Bruno, I'm glad you got your chimney set and safe. I have two stainless steel chimneys and never had a problem.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bruno of NH

It's sure nice to have the wood heat back.
I have the best wood this year dry ready to go oak, ash,black locust and some maple.
The woodshed if full to the top and many firewood bags full.

Bruno of NH

I didn't put the cap on.
At the condos I used to take care of they made them use them.
I seen lots of build up and dripping out of the caps.
I will see how this works

cutterboy

I have always wondered about the caps. I have caps on both of mine and that is the only place where I get any creosote build up. It's not much so I'm not concerned about it. The caps must keep most of the rain and snow out but is that necessary? Brick or block chimneys don't usually have caps. I think they look nice. That is until the wind blows them off and they roll down the roof, crash onto the deck and roll across the lawn. Don't ask me how I know. ::) 

Bruno of NH

Cutter,
I was worried about the cap blowing off here it's very windy.
Next door is an abandoned airstrip the wind comes from that direction,  it's bad

Don P

Retrieved ours yesterday, after cutterboy's description ours then rolls down the mountain and into the woods  :D, need to crawl back up there  ::).

Wudman

Quote from: Bruno of NH on November 15, 2020, 12:51:05 PM
I didn't put the cap on.
At the condos I used to take care of they made them use them.
I seen lots of build up and dripping out of the caps.
I will see how this works
I've been meaning to put a cap and screen on mine for the last two years.  Mine has been a bluebird death-trap.  I am not sure why a bluebird wants to build in my woodstove, but for the last two years I have opened the stove to a bunch of dead fledgling size bluebirds.  I thought about it this year and went and opened the door on the stove and two were still alive and flew out.  There were 5 dead ones laying in the bottom of the stove.  Last year I opened it to fire the first time and there were a half dozen bodies in the stove.  Mom evidently can get up 15 feet of stainless steel chimney, but the little ones don't.  
Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Al_Smith

Usually on a stainless pipe ,insulted in some way the only creosote build up is at the top where the smoke hits the cold air and in the screen around the cap .In real cold weather with the stove burning more wide open it's minimal .I only run a brush though my set up about once a year .
In addition what build up there might be is pyrolyzed hard not the road tar gooey stuff that will catch fire .

cutterboy

Quote from: Wudman on November 16, 2020, 12:22:54 PM

I've been meaning to put a cap and screen on mine for the last two years.  Mine has been a bluebird death-trap.  

With me it's house sparrows. As soon as the heating season is over I go up on the roof and put a screen in each chimney. If I don't, sparrows will find their way into my kitchen stove. I can hear them fluttering around in there. Once I opened the stove to have a sparrow, covered with ash, fly out and flutter along the kitchen ceiling leaving a trail of ash. I can tell you my wife was not happy.

Bruno of NH

Well now I'm thinking of putting it on , if all you folks use one  :D

A-z farmer

My uncle has a  stone house in Essex New York that he has been restoring for 40 years .It has fireplaces and he did not check out his living room for a few days and he found a squirrel must have come down one of his chimneys and got by the damper and basically destroyed all the windows trying to get out But it did not make it .He found it later curled up on his couch in his blanket dead.
It kind of reminded me of the song by Ray Stevens .

GRANITEstateMP

my cap is the place where the hard type creosote will build up. When my wife isn't around, I grab the Ruger 10/22 and pop a couple low velocity rounds into the cap  ;D.  When you hear the "DING", it's usually followed by small chunks of creosote falling back to the clean up. My sweep asked if I knew someone shot my cap?? Yup, I know
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Bruno of NH

Funny story,
My friend and I had an addition going for a Dartmouth Collage professor.
It was a post and beam.
It was down to the floor finishing.
We had just put the last coat of oil poly on the 8" yellow pine floor.
It was a Friday afternoon and we were drinking a beer with the owner looking at all the nice work through a sliding glass door, when out of the wood stove hook up come a fat grey squirrel.
He starts running all over the wet floor , on the beams, white plaster walls.
After about an hour he left the way he came in.
On Monday we had lots of touch ups to do.  :D
My friend and I still laugh about it when we see each other.

Thank You Sponsors!