iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl bar interchangeability question

Started by woodworker9, December 25, 2020, 03:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

Sorry for the question, but I couldn't find an answer with my remedial searching capabilities.

I have a MS 461, and new 500i.  Are the bars completely interchangeable between them?  Both have the stock 3/8" chain setup/sprocket/whatever-you-call-it.  

Reason I ask, is when I looked at a larger bar to have in my arsenal, the 461 was not listed on the package, even though it was for OTHER saws that take the 3/8" chain.  Not sure why it was not listed.  This was/is a Stihl bar.

I'd sure not to have to buy 2 different expensive bars if I want to use an occasional bigger bar on either saw.  Thanks.  Thinking about adding a larger bar to my arsenal for those occasional BIG logs.

Merry Christmas!
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Woodfarmer

Yes, large mount still bars start with 3003.

ehp

they are the same , I know my 500i likes the light weight bars a lot better than the normal bars, not so nose heavy

lxskllr

Not that it matters in this discussion, but I think the "standard" Stihl bar is medium mount. The current sole user of the large mount is the 880.

woodworker9

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, the 500i is the biggest saw I own.  

Good to know any bar can be used on it or the 461.

I love the Light bar on my 500i.  Very well balanced saw, and doesn't feel any heavier than my 362 CM, even though I know it's a little heavier.

The 461 is noticeably heavier with a 25" regular Stihl bar, and I'm gonna throw a Light bar on it to see how it feels.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Thank You Sponsors!