iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Blades and Horse Power

Started by widetrackman, December 29, 2020, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widetrackman

Going to order some blades so they will be with the Lt35HD win it arrives mid Jan. I have heard some blades require more HP than others. I am planning on ordering some 7Ts for mostly SYP and 4s for Hardwoods. Any comments would be appreciated

Southside

My 35 runs excellent with Turbos in just about everything. Even big, White Oak, as long as they are sharp. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

widetrackman

Quote from: Southside on December 29, 2020, 06:18:20 PM
My 35 runs excellent with Turbos in just about everything. Even big, White Oak, as long as they are sharp.
I have the 25 HP gas power is that what you have? BTW do you use 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 wd blades

SawyerTed

I run 4° and Turbo 7s with an LT 35.  25 hp will pull the Turbo 7s fine.  The LT 35 uses 1 1/4" blades.  

I kept it simple when I started and used 4° blades for everything.  They worked well.  I decided to try some T7s and didn't care for them to start with so I quit using them. In a bind for blades, I pulled the T7s out and tried them again.  They cut well and maybe a little faster than the 4°.  I suspect the reason I didn't like them at first is I was having drive belt tension issues.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

kelLOGg

It is my understanding that low HP mills cut better with 4° bands. The more aggressive 7° and 10° ones require more HP. I switched to 4° because my mill is just 16 HP. They cut straighter thru knots, usually the cut knots are as flat as the wood and in the same plane.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!