Sponsors:

got me stumped

Started by Charles, January 01, 2021, 06:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles

Anybody got an idea as what this wood is 
Mid density, ave weight like cherry
very easy to mill
growth rings are so fine and close together one would think at first look it doesn't have any
I have had this lumber for over 20 years and  milled it up to-day for a project but the name of the wood that written in pencil was faded to badly.
I am thinking origin of Africa or South America 

:new_year:

mike_belben

This might be completely stupid, im not good at guessing lumber species at all...  But a white oak that eventually dies from being shaded out its entire life has a dark, super fine ring sort of pattern like that.  

Ive only seen them in the sub 12" DBH but the interior is dark chocolate and reminds me of moose tracks/fudge tracks ice cream.
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

However you go, it IS a beautiful chunk-o-wood.
Trying harder everyday.

Charles

I am thinking from Africa 
It was in with some purple heart, bebinca, mwenge and ebony all from Africa
I have looked at a lot of different species and can't find it 
The end grain is so fine that one has to look very close to actually see if if it really has any and like I said the texture and weight and milling remind me of cherry

kantuckid

Typical for tropical woods to not show much growth ring. I assume you've been online looking at website pics of tropical species.
 I had a chunk from a tree that was cut down in FL and nobody around the tree's former spot knew what it was, so I was on my own. I narrowed it down to about 5-6 species and gave up at that point. Another issue is the multiple names tropical woods can have given languages in each place they grow, 
 My chunk of mystery wood is now a hand carved bowl, ~ 12" x 14" x 6" deep, sits in my LR now and has very close to the appearance of black walnut but much, much heavier. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Charles

I have been looking, but project is done and person happy and not to concerned to know the name of the wood, I am going to keep looking and maybe get lucky 

kantuckid

A wood retail place in big city might give you some live looks. Also web wood sellers who have good pics..

zippski

Likely it is Lignum Vitae, a wood which I pretty familiar with.

How's that for a first ever post to the forum  ;D

Leigh
zippski
Leigh
zippski

kantuckid

If OP saying it's mid-density in the first post is correct than I hardly think that lignum vitae is the wood? Not that I know otherwise.  ;D

Charles

Coloring is a little dark and it is not heavy or real hard as lignum vitae
Thanks for looking

trimguy

@zippski it's alright , we're all here to learn. :D :D Welcome to the forum.

Joshcohen305

kantuckid

There is a tropical wood identifier website but I've found it very difficult to ID tropical woods using a piece of wood compared to a picture. 

Thank You Sponsors!