iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hiring movers for beams

Started by GRadice, January 28, 2021, 09:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRadice

I'm considering buying some beams from a mill for a DIY project (6x6 and 6x8, 10-14 ft, let's call it 16 beams total). I'm about an hour and half away which is a little outside their delivery area. Any suggestions for how to go about hiring moving help? What questions should I be asking the movers?

Gary

Iwawoodwork

Can you move them yourself? rent a small double axle trailer with 6 or 8 lug wheels , or got a friend with pickup and trailer.

Ianab

If that's "just outside" their area maybe ask how much to drive a bit further?

If they come up with a sensible number then pay them. Like, they may be delivering a part load an hour in your direction, a few more dollars makes it worth their trouble. I've bought polycarb roofing from a company, and their depot is about 2 1/2  hours away. But they do a circuit past my place each week, and a guy shows up with a Ute and trailer with maybe 10 orders on it. It's $50 for the delivery, but he's doing 10 of them, so it's worth the day trip. 

Plan B would be to rent a decent trailer and go get them. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brad_bb

Do you have the convenience of a machine to unload?  If you have to unload manually, protect your back.  One way to do that  is with rope/strap assist so you can be upright while lifting.

Timber Time 4 Rope Assist - YouTube
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

GRadice

Thanks for the suggestions. The mill can help load. For unloading and stacking at my place, the plan is to hire moving help for an hour or two. Pre-covid I'd rally friends and neighbors and make a party of it, but.......
Gary

esarratt

I use a tripod and a chain hoist.  I can lift anything up to 2000 pounds.

I initially built my tripod using 1.25" galvanized poles and chain (at the top to connect them together) (see pic below).

But, more recently I switched from the chain to a buck boss tripod header (not in pics--google it).  I like it better.

I use good quality 1-ton harrington chain hoist.

It is a little slow, but I can move anything. 

If you use tubing to make a tripod you need to make footpads to keep it from digging into the ground and tipping.

You can't see it so good in my pics, but these are 4" thick black walnut slabs.  Some of them are 8' long.  Behind the slabs is an 8' long 10"x10" black walnut beam.

With the hoist and a strap I don't mar the beams.

Stephen1

Hire a flat bed tow truck, when he gets to your place he tilts and drives away, Put some 4x4 on the ground for them to land on. 
I use flst beds all the time to bring logs to my mill for customers and take the wood back. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!