iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about the 60" Woodmizer Cant Hook

Started by DWyatt, February 11, 2021, 01:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWyatt

A year or so ago when there was a sale, I bought a 60" Woodmizer cant hook. It is my understanding that these are made by Logrite? I feel like this thing has the wrong size hook on it for a 60" cant hook. See the picture below for the hook size. Could someone confirm if this is the right size hook?

I have almost never used it except as a big pry bar because the only logs I can get it to hook onto are <15" diameter and for those I would much rather use my old wood handle cant hook that is much lighter. Anything over 18"-24" (my primary log size) it doesn't even come close to grabbing without multiple attempts. The hook was originally mounted in the middle hole, I moved it as shown which helped some, but still not enough to justify using it. Any info/assistance would be awesome!

terrifictimbersllc

That measurement is the same as the hook on my 48" peavey, 10-1/2" from the top of the hook to the center of the bolt hole.
I get 11-1/2" for the hook on my 60" peavey.

Mine are mounted to the center bolt, the top and bottom bolts are roll pins on my model, and serve to limit the travel of the hook , presumably to avoid finger pinching and lock-jaw.

@Tam-i-am will see this
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DWyatt

Quote from: Jeff on February 11, 2021, 05:05:12 PM
That is NOT a logrite.
All I know is that it came from Woodmizer, I know it has the different end than the normal hook that the logrite cant hooks have. I just remembered reading here that logrite made the ones for Woodmizer so I thought I might get some good responses. 

barbender

I think they made the Woodmizer cant hooks for a while, but Woodmizer is selling steel handled cant hooks now. Logrite only makes aluminum, and fiberglass handled ones for power companies.
Too many irons in the fire

DWyatt

Well this is starting to make sense. This is definitely a steel cant hook, which I wasn't real thrilled about because it weighs like 25 lbs. I'll have to give Woodmizer a call tomorrow as I would like to get this figured out. I bought it when it was on sale but it's still too darn expensive to sit in the corner while I still use the trusty wood handle cant hook.

WV Sawmiller

If you just want to replace the hook itself call LogRite as I think they sell hooks for use for making Magic Hooks and such.

I called them last week and ordered me a new 60" heavy duty hook and it got here Tuesday.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DWyatt

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 11, 2021, 09:22:28 PM
  If you just want to replace the hook itself call LogRite as I think they sell hooks for use for making Magic Hooks and such.

I called them last week and ordered me a new 60" heavy duty hook and it got here Tuesday.
That's what I'm thinking. I can order a 60" hook and just use my 48", per @terrifictimbersllc , hook for a Magic hook. Your post about the mega hook is what made me think to ask this question, do thank you for the reminder! 

terrifictimbersllc

If your magic hook is for hooking over the backside of large logs to roll them , I suggest getting the largest hook, the one on the 78" megahook for this.  If for grabbing ends of logs like magicman does maybe smaller ones ok for that.   I use the large hook on a chain very often to roll logs either with the mill clamp towards the mill or less frequently with my truck.   Logs that need a chain and hook to roll are the larger ones so the largest hook works well.   

ps. i see you want to get the hook for the 60" so you'll have the smaller hook left over for using with a chain.  makes sense.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tam-i-am

That is NOT a Logrite.   WoodMizer has always carried cant hooks with 2 price points.  They had Dixie and Logrite for awhile.  I recently convinced WoodMizer to let us brand our aluminum handled tools for them like we do for STIHL and Gedore.  Upon agreeing after all these years, they then started to make their own steel tools and it is a little confusing.  I believe the steel ones they make now came from a Timbery design. So to clarify ONLY the aluminum handled tools are really Logrites.
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

DWyatt

Thanks for the reply @Tam-i-am , that helps to clarify things and everyone else! Looks like I need to get ahold of Woodmizer and figure out if the wrong hook is on this cant hook.

Dana Stanley

How big of a log was it touted to roll when you bought it?
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Magicman

I have two Orange Logrite 48" Cant Hooks that came from Wood-Mizer in 2012.

Seen above with the Blue Logrite Cant Hooks and a Green Logrite Hookaroon.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DWyatt

Let me tell you about a stand-up company called Woodmizer. I contacted them through their website to inquire about the hook size on my can't hook. After a couple emails, Joe with Woodmizer Indy notified me that they would be sending me a new 60" Logrite at no cost once they were off backorder. Obviously this surprised me since it exceeded any expectations I had. You will not find another company that stands behind every product line they offer. Thanks again for all of the help!

Thank You Sponsors!