iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Capstan feed for mill?

Started by welderskelter, April 22, 2021, 09:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

Was just wondering how a capstan would work for a sawmill feed. Anybody got one or think it might work? I thought it might be a bit more consistent than I am . Sometimes I push to hard and sometimes too little. Thought this might help. Curious. Thought I might ask the professionals. Harold

kelLOGg

I did a search on "capstan feed" and got several hits. That may give you a start and people to contact.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WWDave

Quote from: welderskelter on April 22, 2021, 09:46:49 PM
Was just wondering how a capstan would work for a sawmill feed. Anybody got one or think it might work? I thought it might be a bit more consistent than I am . Sometimes I push to hard and sometimes too little. Thought this might help. Curious. Thought I might ask the professionals. Harold
A Capstan-type drive unit is used on the "Auto" Turbosawmill made by @nzjake.  In this application it works very well.  

Turbosawmill M12-Auto

welderskelter

I was thinking about a capstan as that is used on oilrigs to lift pipe and drill collars to stand them up. But I was looking at some of the different sawmills and I found I already have a wheel chair motor so I am looking for the rest I need to make a drive for my mill. Thanks anyway for the input. I do see some use a rope some a cable and some a roller chain. The chain would probably be the best but a cable would be the cheapest. Arope I am afraid would slip to much specially since I do live in cold wet country. Any comments? Thanks again.

kelLOGg

I thought a capstan relied on friction to do its job. If a rope is slip-prone in your situation then I don't think you need a capstan approach. Since you already have a wheel chair motor you're well  on your way to a chain-driven system. My gallery has many pics of my chain-driven sawhead. Best of luck.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

welderskelter

Yeah kellog I think I have decided to go with a cable thru v belt pulleys. Figured if it gets in a bind it would just slip not break anything. You are right the capstan isnt right  for this application. Thank you.

firefighter ontheside

The manual feed on the WM LT15 is essentially a manual powered capstan with the rope wrapped around it twice.  I have had occasional issues with mine.  It never slipped.  The problem was that one loop would ride up on the previous and kind of get locked up.  A new rope fixed that.  Now I have the power feed.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!