iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 162 SE from 1980 leaks oil

Started by gdug, May 07, 2021, 08:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdug

I could use some pointers on likely cause of, and remedy for, the saw leaking bar oil when the saw is just sitting. More annoyance than anything, and several years ago I tore it down enough to get to the oil delivery adjustment and turned it down to a lower setting... too long ago to remember what the factory setting was or which of the 4 positions I set it at. That adjustment didn't solve the problem.  
I bought it new in 1980 and I'll have to say it has been one cutting SOB and with only a 20 inch bar, it handled some pretty big Doug firs. It doesn't get much use these days....nor to I, for that matter.
Any polite suggestions welcome. May not be any parts available by now.

Spike60

Wow, 40+ years with the same saw! Fantastic, and welcome to the site.

First thing I'd do is a torough cleaning to identify where the leak is coming from. Oil leaks travel and it's easy to misread the source. Could be the tank vent, oil line, pump, oil cap, Parts wise, some are still available, and some not. You do NOT want to be looking for that oil cap. The 162 and early white top 61's used a cap that is NLA.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

gdug

SPIKE,
Thanks for that reply... yes, 40 years with the same saw. I was just thinning trees on my own property and bucking up a lot of firewood so the saw doesn't have the hours a logger would rack up working in the woods. I used it enough to go through several chains and a few bars but it was always treated with care and so I managed to still have a very good piece of equipment. Made right, treated right gives a good return for the long haul.
The oil leak seems to be located somewhere other than the oil filler cap. I'll investigate more. Thanks again.
Doug

Real1shepherd

Agree with Bob....get everything whistle clean, run it a bit and then breakdown looking for new oil. Suspect any hoses that have oil run through them.

Kevin 

gdug

OK guys, I'll dig into it and work it out. Thanks for the help.
Doug

DHansen

Will be interesting to hear what you find.

Thank You Sponsors!