iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbarry

Al_Smith

Since it's been mentioned I could heat my house just from the limb falls etc . from 4 or 5 acres of 7.5 of woods and never run out .Takes a lot of cutting but very little splitting a garden cart at a time .It all burns .As of yet I've never been in the front two or so acres of that 5 acres I just bought .That thing is jungle .
Neat thing about limb falls is you can do it with a little light saw .At my age I kind of like that .024 Stihl did almost all of it when I came close to running out last winter ,4 garden carts a week if it was fit to get into the woods . 

barbender

Try one of the new cordless electric saws for the limbs, Al. It doesn't get any lighter than those.
Too many irons in the fire

Al_Smith

I'm too much old school for a battery chainsaw although I do have some battery drills and a sawzall . :) Besides that I must have a dozen little 2 cube saws that need some exercise. At the moment I'm doing battle with a bunch shelf queens .Some seem to be winning . >:(

thecfarm

You all that are not hardwood snobs would be proud of me.
I have a pile of lilac to burn.  ;D 
  I've been meaning to trim them thing for years and I mean years. I even found my garden in behind the lilac.  :D  It's the driveway, about 6 feet wide of lilac and the garden. 
Now onto the next project.
It felt good to run the saw after not being able to since May.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Since it was mentioned on the home place my dad transplanted a bunch of lilac .Over a period of about 25 years they turned into a hedge row and over 20 feet tall and about 4-5 feet  across .Largest lilacs I ever saw .Those shoots were about 4-5 inches in diameter .

SwampDonkey

I've been burning alders in the mix on a rare occasion. Some of those are 30 feet tall and 4" across. Even some grey birch and that is heavier than white birch, but just an oversized alder. Has less strength than yellow birch. The storms were always knocking it onto the power lines in Grafton. After awhile they had to clean up enough of them so there were none left to knock the wires down. Instead of doing the cutting on the front end when it would cost less. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

Thanks Doc!!!
I had a few lilacs that was 4 inches across, shy of the 20 foot mark. It's good to thin them things out every 20 years.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I don't think you can kill them unless you pull them out  by the roots .

jimbarry

GRANITEstateMP

Happy Birthday Ray! I know when it's Rays Bday, it means fair season is starting here in NH! Firewood will have to take a backseat the last weekend of the month, heading down the road to Deerfield Fair. Now back to your regularly scheduled firewood thread!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

thecfarm

Thanks GRANITEstateMP. Yes, it's fair time.
We use to go to at least 10 in Maine. We would open the fair and then leave before the night crowd came.

KEC

There is a guy in my area who had a talk show about dealing with yard trees and such. His recomendation on pruning lilac is to prune them right after the flowers wilt and to remove 1/3 of the stems and take out the biggest stems each year. You'll get flowers each year and they don't get too overgrown. I've burned lilac and it's decent stovewood.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

Thank you barbender.
I really apricate it.

cutterboy

Still cutting ash...

Happy cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Al_Smith

I'm going to miss that ash .I have a couple thousand board feet in rough lumber and maybe a couple more still in logs .Those were 90- 100 foot trees  not too long ago .I might get another 4-5 years out of dead falls for fire wood then it's all gone .

PoginyHill

Built 30 firewood racks. Each holds a face-cord (8ft inside width and 4ft inside height). With my 24" firewood pieces that'll be a full 1/2 cord per rack. I burn about 12 cords per year, so the 15 will provide a nice cushion. If these work as well as I hope they do, I'll shoot to have 2 years worth of firewood in the racks. I stole several ideas on the FF for the build and thanks to @doc henderson for the idea of Gorilla Glue on the joints. Used green lumber, so minimal wetting was required for the glue to activate.

I did not want anything on top to tie the sides together (for easier piling near the top), so the idea of alternate side 4X4 should do the trick to keep the sides rigid.

I wanted racks to allow both ends of the firewood to be exposed for better drying, rather than the pallet-styles that are common and have two or more tiers. The weight of a rack of green firewood is just about at the capacity of my 70HP tractor's FEL. I have some rear 3-point hitch forks on order that I'll either use for ballast or to move the racks around.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Corley5

I've got an order for a face cord of smoking wood.  He wants "fruit wood" and beech.  I hauled this part of an apple tree out of the field before I mowed it few weeks ago.  It was destined to rot.  There's a couple more pieces in the tree yet.  Maybe he'll want more next year.   I've got some sticks of 100" black cherry and beech set aside in the yard to make up the rest.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

doc henderson

PH those look great and durable.  That is a fair amount of wood to haul at a time.  my metal crates take 4 to make a cord.  I hope you can put a crate in place where you use it from, and do not have a bunch of hand moving to do before use.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

jimbarry

Quote from: thecfarm on September 07, 2022, 09:04:51 AM
Anything to make it easier.
Couldn't agree more.

Each crate hold 32 cu ft.

PoginyHill

Quote from: doc henderson on September 07, 2022, 09:03:44 AM
PH those look great and durable.  That is a fair amount of wood to haul at a time.  my metal crates take 4 to make a cord.  I hope you can put a crate in place where you use it from, and do not have a bunch of hand moving to do before use.  
One step of handling is eliminated with these. The plan is to leave the loader, firewood table, and splitter in one spot and move the racks as needed to fill them and place them for drying. Before snow flies, I plan to convert a section of grass to gravel for better stability (these racks are a little top-heavy) and so I don't need to worry about grass growing around the base of these and inhibit good drying. I will start to fill these up this fall for next winter's heat. I'd be nice to have two years ahead, but for now I'll be happy with one.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

doc henderson

I really like the incorperation of bracing with a 4x4 top and bottom.  look forward to seeing the first ones filled, and to see if you find any improvements you recomend.  it would be nice to have an indoor spot, like in a garage that you can set a full crate to use right off of.  i do not have that, but a rack under cover just out the back door that holds a half cord.  in the middle of winter, we will stash some on the back sun porch if it is snowy or icy.  or use out of a crate just out the back door on the sidewalk.

Thank You Sponsors!