Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Won't see ground bare and dry like that until May up here. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Wlmedley

Ground has been bare almost all winter here.Now its getting dry and pollen count is coming up.Has been a strange winter.Probably snow in April  :laugh:
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

jimbarry

jimbarry

A senior client brings their own crates and we stack the firewood in. They only pay for what fits in the crate. The ones filled on the ground are about 30 cu ft each. With the small trailer, they can only pick up one at a time. Offload at home with their own tractor. They are a good 30 min from here so they pass by about once a week to pick up a crate. Green wood, they are prepping for the following year. Smart.

cutterboy

I've been cutting a fair amount of firewood this winter until last Tuesday's storm shut me down. Here are a few pictures from

the last three weeks or so. Mostly ash because I want to get to them before those nasty green bugs do.

My goodness. I hit the wrong button and the pictures and text got mixed up. :D

Well anyway, temps down to 22f. Maybe things froze up enough to get back in the woods.

Keep on cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Cutter, those are some really neat pictures in more ways than one.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wlmedley

Cutter,is the snow deep enough that you can cut logs up without worrying about chain hitting dirt or rocks?That would be a big help I would think.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

thecfarm

On mine land I would need 4 feet of snow to be safe on not hitting a rock.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

cutterboy

Quote from: thecfarm on March 19, 2023, 08:11:04 PM
On mine land I would need 4 feet of snow to be safe on not hitting a rock.
:D :D :D :D
cfarm, you made me laugh out loud. A good way to start the day.

cutterboy

Wlmedley, When I took those pictures there was 2-4 inches of snow on the ground. In a field it would be a help but in the woods there are always rocks hiding just under the snow. So no, that much snow isn't much help.

upnut

Brother asked if I could help him move some firewood....sure! The farmer he is working for wanted a pile moved ASAP. We are at ten loads, with a couple more to finish cleaning up. Bucking and splitting should be interesting....

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

jimbarry

g_man

Mud season is a good time for me to work up our firewood. So today I started blocking up the wood I pulled out last fall. This will be 2024/25 wood.

I used to cut off the pile. It's slower this way but easier on the back and I am not so good climbing on the pile and working with blocks rolling around under my feet any more.

Ran out of gas - This is where I carry my saw gas and bar oil.

Second tank like the first.

Two tanks was enough for today. I can say I got started. Spitting snow now too.

gg

NE Woodburner

@g_man - I have a slightly different style grapple, but I cut my firewood to length the same way. I don't like cutting on a log pile and had a near miss one time when I slipped and cut up a pair of chaps pretty good but didn't hit skin.

Sure is easier on the back working at waist height and you can go faster not worrying about cutting into the ground or having to roll the log to finish the cut. I use a mingo paint marker to mark out the log first and cutting to length goes very fast with the measuring done already.

jimbarry

g_man

I thought I was the only one who made kindling. Most people laugh when they see me doing this.  ???  I use fir cut-offs from off the landing.

I have a rack behind the stove that I fill to the top every fall. Makes it easy for the wife when she's the one that has to start the fire.

gg

Mooseherder

My kindling rack by the mill area.

upnut

One hot summer afternoon the kids decided they wanted an evening bonfire, always fun! Not wanting to swing an axe in the heat I slid the four-way wedge on the splitter and made a trailer load of kindling and small pieces for the party. Haven't split kindling with an axe since... :)...The wedge isn't stout enough for gnarly stuff, perfect for straight grained kindling wood...

Always keep some on hand now.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

doc henderson

High in fiber and good for you!   :D  I was wondering watching Jims video, if they could adapt (safely) a multi split something for the processor for kindling.  the axe seems to go faster.  @jimbarry where do you source your bags?  I think I ask you this a few years back, but do not remember.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Mooseherder

Last summer splitting wood I had harvested making atv trails.  This piece is beech.  It fell because I was filming with other hand.  

beech firewood - YouTube

jimbarry

Quote from: doc henderson on March 29, 2023, 11:57:24 AM
High in fiber and good for you!   :D  I was wondering watching Jims video, if they could adapt (safely) a multi split something for the processor for kindling.  the axe seems to go faster.  @jimbarry where do you source your bags?  I think I ask you this a few years back, but do not remember.
The mfg does not recommend a 4way and I concur with that. 
Bags we get come from bagsupplies.ca

jimbarry

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 29, 2023, 12:15:48 PM
Last summer splitting wood I had harvested making atv trails.  This piece is beech.  It fell because I was filming with other hand.  

beech firewood - YouTube
That's the kind of beech we get around here. Last year's wood supply we sorted out the beech for ourselves to burn in our home. About 2-1/2 cord. Ended up selling it simply because we had more than enough and a fellow needed some late in the year. Difficult to air dry outdoors with no cover, but kiln dired, its incredible the amount of heat comes from it.

mudfarmer

Hey Jim, thanks as always for bringing us along. What are you using for saw pivot? I can't tell, almost looks like a bracket bolted on via the bar nuts?

Thank You Sponsors!