iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I burn a lot of junk in my OWB.
I had my FIL come to the house when it was about 10°. He yollered, you can't burn that stuff!!!!
I told him, Lets go inside where it's warm and talk about it.  :D
I have always burned a lot of junk, even in a wood stove.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

It really tears me up to burn a piece of wood that I could sell to someone else😁 The more junk wood I burn in my OWB, the better I sleep at night. I could swear that it gives off a warmer heat😊
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Up here you couldn't sell fir and aspen for firewood. I burn all kinds of it, in fact in the dead of winter it's plenty hot that I can't keep a fire all day or there would be a melt down. Some people can't get over their indoctrinations and wives tales or just because 'so and so said it'. The more you forget all about that, the better off you will be. Wisdom and money wise holds better prospects. :D

I can feel that aspen heat this morning. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 18, 2023, 12:15:44 PM
When China tried to corner the market on scrap steel they loaded up old rusty freighters that were lucky to make one more crossing over the Pacific .The entire mess was cut up,ship and all in India . I think back then they melted anything from I-beams to old beer cans ,old wire fence .That metal went from old rusty Edsels to cheap Chinese stuff in a period of about 50 years . Steel never goes away .It starts out as iron ore and ends up as rust which is iron ore for all intents .Mother natures form of recycling if you think about it .
Exactly, something that's lost on lost of people. 
Liking Walnut

cutterboy

Quote from: barbender on October 10, 2023, 12:48:32 AM
It really tears me up to burn a piece of wood that I could sell to someone else😁 
:D :D barbender, aint that the truth. We sell the good looking wood and burn the junk. But the thing is they both burn and give off heat. The difference is, we have the cash in our pockets. ;D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Wlmedley

Finally getting some cool weather and that's when I like to cut my firewood.Had a white oak I've been planning to cut but wasn't sure I could make it fall where it would be fairly easy to work up.Turned out that I couldn't so I spent half a day dragging sections out of a hollow.Not a real productive day but I've got more wood laying out than I did this morning.Got plenty of dry wood for this winter and probably for next winter but I'm not getting any younger and like to stay as far ahead as possible.Plan to cut up logs and split tomorrow.Cool sunny day and the smell of two stroke and wood chips.It doesn't get any better than that  :laugh:

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

cutterboy

It finally dried up enough last week to get back in the woods. First with the cub cadet and then with the tractor. So last week I went out to a big ash tree that had lost it's top in a storm.

I cut some of it up and filled my little dump trailer a couple of times.

Two days later I went back with the tractor, cut the rest of it up and took two loads out with my firewood carrier.

All cleaned up and headed to the barnyard.

Keep on cutting.....Cutter

SwampDonkey

I've got 3 buggy loads home, so it's a start. There's another cord and a half on the ground in the woods, bucked and split. I bring home a load on the buggy until I have all the time in for the cutting required then load it by the pickup load to bring the majority in. Can't drive home without a buggy load you know. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

It is raining like crazy today and I'm stuck inside so I have time to make some posts.  

This past Wednesday and Thursday I was able to get back to harvesting ash trees in the woods below my house.

More than half the trees in this section of woods are ash trees and the Emerald Ash Borer is having a field day.
I cut down two good sized ash trees and got one good saw log and a lot of firewood.

All done now. Time to head home.

fluidpowerpro

Just finished stocking up the overhang with firewood for the upcoming winter. Although so is stacked, most is in skids. Wood goes from the splitter to skids then to dry. When I need to use it I move to my building with my skid steer. Saves lots of time.

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Big_eddy

Two of my boys helped with splitting today.

Metcalfe Firewood splitting action

They earned their steak dinner!

SwampDonkey

Well, the wood is all in for another year. 8 new cords for 2024. Another 10 cords is all dried for this winter. Let'r rip. :)

jimbarry

Crates here as well. Makes moving wood a heck of a lot easier.

cutterboy

Some pictures of my firewood activities of the last three weeks.

All the wood stacked by the barn will start to be processed next month, split and stacked in the barn for next winter. For now I'll cut all I can and bring it up to the barnyard while the weather is good.

B.C.C. Lapp

Nice looking firewood cutterboy.   If I could I'd burn nothing but ash but ts getting less common here due to the ash borer.    In a year or to I doubt I'll have much ash left at all.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

mudfarmer

It really is nice, we've never had much so I didn't know what I was missing here at home. 

What I sell is green, off the log onto the splitter into the truck type deal, pretty much all ash this past year (not from our place) some very happy people that didn't plan ahead :D One guy the other day that has been absolutely the best to work with asked if I would ever get some more maple and beech for him, he is the only one smart enough to buy a year+ ahead and he will get his maple and beech for being a good guy, it will come right out of my personal stash 8)

Keep on cutting, cutterboy!

cutterboy

BCC Lapp, I have been cutting as much ash as I can the last couple of years because the borer is here and I have a lot of ash. It is my favorite firewood and will be sorely missed when it is gone. Makes good lumber too.

Al_Smith

No pictures but it's time ,the frost is on the pumpkin .Moved the first trailer load up near the house ,between a face and a half cord .Half cottonwood and half ash .Both popcorn dry and this early the cottonwood should be good enough with the ash over night . Later it will
 be ash  during the day and oak during the night or hickory . 

Wlmedley

Needed 1/2 cord of wood to finish filling my woodshed.This will be used next year at the earliest.Split up enough today to probably make it.It is all white oak and will be the first time I have had shed completely full of my favorite wood.Maybe tomorrow I'll haul it up and stack it.I love the look of a full wood shed and should get to look at it quite a while.Also a picture of my old monster maul.Hasn't been used for several years but split all my wood for at least 20 years.Wish I could still swing it because it was a lot faster than hydraulic rig and good exercise but I've got a worn out shoulder and my doctor said it's probably time to put it aside.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

GRANITEstateMP

Nothing like the shed/pile filling up to give ya that warm feeling!

No pics for me today either.  I had house and auto projects this am, then spent the late afternoon cutting and splitting the last big pile of uglys/shorts/crotches with the skid steer splitter. That mixed bag of ugly went up to the farm to feed the outdoor boiler.  I hope to deliver 3 bins of cut offs from the processor up to the farm tomorrow, that should clean up two areas rhat were overdue for some love.

With a bit of luck, and motivation, I'll cut and quarter another cords worth of bigger stuff tomorrow to finish one of my last orders for the season...fingers crossed
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

g_man

GRANITE if where you are is like here you could get more orders easy. I see people on the local Front Porch Forum just starting to look for wood now. Never ceases to amaze me. 

gg

cutterboy

Still working on my ash harvest. I cut a big old ugly ash on the side of a field. It's all going in to firewood.

I just started cutting branches till I got to the main stem.

Then cut up the stem into rounds. They will have to be hand split before I can move them.

Now it's time to move the wood up to the barnyard.

GRANITEstateMP

Cutter,

I like ash, but that one has plenty of "character", it'll keep ya plenty warm. I got most of my customers pretty well trained now to order early.  I don't advertise anymore, I usually  loose a customer or two a year and gain a customer or two a year.  We are at 104 or 105 cord for the year, and I enjoyed not needing to totally stress out trying to reach last years total.  My goal is around 100, so I'm getting closer! 2 more orders, then it's whatever I can get done for me and the guy that helps me...then lots of MAINTENANCE
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Big_eddy

Quote from: g_man on November 24, 2023, 07:39:06 PM
GRANITE if where you are is like here you could get more orders easy. I see people on the local Front Porch Forum just starting to look for wood now. Never ceases to amaze me.

gg
I know what you mean. We sold 8 cords in 2 days last weekend. All new customers for us. Only one was a new home owner just moving in with no wood left by the previous owner. The others all have been burning wood for years. Was okay by us. We had 8 cords left and prefer it gone before we start cutting for next season. They were lucky though. The trailer comes off the road once the salt goes on. That started Wednesday.

Now I have the wood yard cleanup done and we're ready for another season

Thank You Sponsors!