iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

With this RETIRED talk, this scene came to mind from a very funny movie lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FLwD60hPK4I
A1

Old Greenhorn

Hemlock, I may be a little of both. ;D

Well, I seem to be falling further and further behind. Firewood has been the thing that bothered me, not having anything to cut and split. I haven't had time to forage for it. As I mentioned Pete (my son dropped off some wood from a property cleanup. SO now I have as much to cut/split/stack as I can handle. The photo doesn't show the load that Bill dropped me off last night of stuff he has a pain processing, it's fine for me though. ;D

I mentioned working at Bills on Monday milling up lumber for the shop. It occurred to me that we did pretty good on the log to nail-up timeline. At 10 am this was a log and at 11am it was floating through the air as some 2x8x17's to be nailed in. I guess you would call that a 'just in time' product flow.

Anyway, that's our version of a redneck skyhook. Although the roofing metal isn't on, it is all closed in on top and the siding is next.  AT least now the water won't be dripping down in the shop on rainy days when trucks get serviced. There were times I thought it was raining harder and longer inside than it was outside.
 I woke up this morning and one of the Grandsons was here. He had a cold on Monday and they kicked him out of school and said he couldn't come back until he had a negative third party covid test. He got clean results yesterday, but now they won't let him in because he has a cough. Anyway, I guess my plans changed and  after breakfast we were out in the shop building a birdhouse.  Then we played in the yard and other stuff while getting some chores done. After he got picked up, I went out and hit the log pile. I got a bunch bucked, but man I can't stay at it like I used to just 2 years ago. I ran out of steam about the same time I ran out of gas on the second tankful. I tried dragging the splitter over by hand and decided I would do it with the mule tomorrow. Nothing left in the tank, I guess.
 SO I did other smaller chores and quit around 4. Tomorrow we have to do the monthly food shopping, so that will kill half a day, then I think I'll start splitting. If I could stay at it, I will solve my wood problem with what I have in the piles, but that's a lot of wood to process and stack. One good session with a friend or two helping out would make a big dent, but I don't seem to have that option right now, so I just keep plugging along. It will get done eventually. They're calling for sleet and freezing rain/snow on Saturday changing to rain, but I will see what I can get done. Crunch time, I guess.
 Tomorrow is another day, right?

By the Way, if you haven't seen it, the 2021 Christmas contest is on! I had a great time working through it and it was a great walk back through the year. Lot's of fun. Looking forward to the drawing as the next fun forum thing, but youse guyz should really get in it to add to the fun. Just sayin'
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Wat a difference a year makes, right? A year ago yesterday we had 18" of snow on the ground. today it was 15° and dry in the morning. Good thing too, I still don't have my firewood done yet and it's depressing me. I have lumber orders at the mil,, but I have got to get this wood done before I can't. Normally it's done by June 1st, but mushroom logs kind of killed that this year. Then one thing after the other came up and now I am in a bind.

Friday I busked and split a full load and brought it around to the house but just ran out of steam to stack it, so I did that Saturday morning in the light rain and ran the trailer back for another load but the rain got steady so I set the trailer and put the Mule away. It rained the rest of the day and I did other stuff. Sunday wasn't so bad, windy, overcast, and cold, but workable so I bucked a bunch up and did another load, then managed to split some more but not a full load. I left the trailer parked and took the Mule to visit my neighbor and meet her parents, in from Seattle for the holidays. We thought it would be good if we met, either one or both of her folks will be staying at her house for a few days alone while she heads back to the city for her next chemo round. I just figured it would be nice if they knew somebody on the road they could call if they had any questions or need something. I think they are both in their late 70's and very nice folks. He is retired Coast Guard, so there is a connection there. We hit it off.

I went to bed with a sore back and aching wrist last night. Hit it again this morning. Beautiful day, little to no wind, clear skies and in the mid 20's, finally hitting 32 for the high. Great working weather for me. Not so much for the splitter and starting it was hard. I nearly quit on it, but finally she kicked in, albeit very reluctantly.  I bucked, split, moved and stacked a very full load. Then I put the trailer back by the splitter and bucked up a bunch more. By then the sun was behind the trees and the sweat on my back was cooling quickly. My back was sore again and my wrist was killing me. I bagged it for the day. Hopefully with the temps a little higher tomorrow, that splitter will start easier and I'll keep at it. I ain't fast, but I keep plodding along.

This year certainly has gotten away from me. I didn't even realize Christmas was this week until yesterday and no kidding, that hit me like a shovel. Last year, I wasn't so focused on selling stuff and making a few bucks, this year it's become more of a survival thing and I have to. So all the time intensive stuff I did last year in the process of learning and playing with ideas I just can't do now unless there is a check in there somewhere. I am blessed in that there are a lot of opportunities for that check, in fact much more than I could handle, but my ability to work 12 hour or more days is fading fast. The semi-tangibles, like firewood, that I need for heat, especially in the shop, but doesn't 'make any money' directly is very labor intensive. I am going to have to do some serious thinking over the winter as I have time and find some improvements.

Right now all I can do it keep at it and tomorrow is another day. I am just hoping the snow holds off for another couple of weeks like it did 2 years ago. I need that right now.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Good recap but think about all the things you have learned this year about your new chosen "professions". You really have learned many tips to make the work more productive and efficient. In many cases no doubt you learned things not to do (Which, in many cases, are just as important as the things to do). Remember Edison with  first 99 light bulbs. You've been to a pig roast and met a ER Doc from Kansas and many other unique "characters". You have become the duty expert on fungus. :D You have worked on your shop and many of those improvements and features are set up to serve you for many years ahead. You've learned to saw on a mill several generations beyond what you own and started on. 

You have learned about indents and paragraphs (although those skills ebb and flow a bit  :D) and are now a radio personality. And throughout it all you managed to get some family time in with the son and grandkids and helped out a neighbor or two but you still have a little bit to learn about grits and good southern culture in general but that will come with time and more experience so if I were you I'd put 2021 in the + column. dancing-jack
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Certainly that's all true Howard. I didn't mean to sound like I am whining o complaining, because I am sure not! There are just some basic things that have to get done as routine every year and this year I failed on one of the big ones. I am just a little disappointed in myself for that.

In fact today as I was splitting, I was thinking to myself about what a perfect day it was. I recalled being in my office on days like this and remarking to co-workers how I would much rather be outside working. Most of them thought I was nuts, being so cold out. But I knew how good and clean that work felt. Now I can work on these days in whatever way I choose, so yeah, I know I got it good.

Your points are well taken though. My phone keeps popping up photos from 'a year ago today' and I see them and feel like it was 2 or more years ago. You are correct, there has been a lot of new water flowing under my bridge in the past year. Thanks for reminding me.

As for my shortcomings on southern culture, I have to take the hit on that one. My training is lacking in the mid-southern states and jumps from the frozen north to over your head and landing in Texas where the other part of the family resides and I have kept company often. Good chicken fried steak I know and love dearly, grits, sorry, not so much. Call it a flaw if you like, but that's just me. :D Maybe some day you or somebody else will show me some good grits (assuming they exist) and can convert me, but until then I must remain as I am. Happy and ignorant of such things.

Tacotodd

Tom, at the VERY LEAST you (and I) got to meet some very good people at the pig roast. You even got some "stuff" from one of them ;) Now you (we) just have to keep at it so that a return trip to Jeff's place will happen again in 2022. I know that I'm glad to have met you in person and I consider you my friend! Friends aren't easy to gain ya know. 

Look at me, I'm tearing up just thinking about it...
Trying harder everyday.

Nebraska

You had a busy year did and learned lots of new things. Took on a serious part time new job and went many different directions.  Being behind on other stuff is just a by product.
 New water  under that bridge almost  flood I say. :)

HemlockKing

Ole dog learning lots of new tricks lol 

Any more plans for mushroom logs in the spring? 
I think I'm gonna try doing that, based off how much mushrooms the slash I left on the ground in the woods has taken off, I think if I actually start drilling holes and so on into the logs as you did will really get me a great harvest. 
A1

Old Greenhorn

One of the steady joys in life for me is learning new things and skills, always has been since I was a kid. SO that part of the year was a good success and I thank you all for reminding me of that. I should go back and read where I was last year at this point, but I do recall I was just pondering on selling mushroom logs about this time last year. Over the year I moved between 1,000 and 1,500 logs with a lot of labor attached. I learned a lot on that score.

I have contemplated, but will hold off on doing any inoculation of logs myself for sale. Yes, the markup is great (about 8x the cost of a dry log) but the time and labor are also considerable and again, a young helper would help make that a reality. There is a fella just up the line that added that to his sale goods this year and I need to check in with him and see how it went.

As for the coming year, yes, I will continue to sell because I have a closer source which allows me to supply logs on a much shorter notice and the small orders are easy to do now with greatly reduced costs. Also, my log price is going up to $5./log. I attended a season wrap up meeting for the SV Apollonia Saturday evening. If you recall I shipped 300 logs to Brooklyn on that boat to the Red Hook Community Gardens. That was arranged by Cornell University, but I believe they may have moved on to other stuff now. I discussed working directly with the boat to ship logs south to customers who order through some kind of website thing (to be determined). We are in discussions about how that would work and the costing etc. I won't make hardly anything on it, but I like the crew and want to help and be part of that. In addition, it is possible I could sell some benches or small items through the same conduit. So that is a new opportunity to explore. 

SO yeah, I am blessed with work and I keep getting asked to do more 'stuff' but I have to decline because of my backlog and limited hours. I surely would like to get a bunch of stuff made over the winter for sale at one or two selected "country fair" type things next summer, but we have to see how the winter goes. I have to get my firewood done first, the snow is coming.

Tacotodd

Yeah Tom, keeping the body temp at 98.6 is kind of important ;)
Trying harder everyday.

Old Greenhorn

Well, it's not just that. There are three things hinging on wood. Frist is getting it done so I can move on to productive stuff, Second is getting that log pile cleaned up and out of the driveway for plowing season, and third is having a way to heat the shop and house to save oil. This year I may supplement the shop with some oil each working morning just for a quick temp boost. 15 minutes with the oil furnace usually does it.
 Mostly, it just hangs over my head as an obstacle right now. I have some green wood in there I can cast aside for now, but I would rather get it all cut and split and drying by the shop for late season or next year. Then the driveway is fully clear and my mental state is a little better too.
 My splitter has been complaining and hard starting on these cold mornings. I should roll it in the shop and go over it before I out it away. The primer bulb may be due for replacement and the carb may need a little cleaning as well as an air filter and oil change. It's been flawless so 8 years, so it's due.

Nebraska

Tom you just reminded me of the fact I need to service the  motor on my mill.  :)

doc henderson

I have fallen into several charcuterie/stove top/noodle boards, and for friends, they are going for 100 bucks a piece.  I am not good at charging and only with my daughter helping and making it like a little business have I done better.  almost any cut off of pretty wood and be made into a board.  even glues up is nice.  I have made a few cutting boards.  

little chunk of walnut that set in a shed for years.  not much else to use it for but bow ties.

this came from sideboards that have set in my shop for 5 years.  they were 10 feet long, and it is good to break them down and get some use out of them.  and now off the wall.  

a sign for a favorite uncle for the neighbors.  and his favorite saying.  my daughter cropped the face and cigarette out but the family wanted the cig in as that was part of who he is.  

this maple is spalted and blue stained.  it had wane and was twisted.  I put a little chunk on the back high corner to make it sit solid.  I would have used it to get a fire started in the past.  you can find projects to use every little scrap.  when I no longer want it, my neighbor @Jim Thomas saw dust Jimmy takes them to make segmented bowls on his lathe.  gifts from me are free.  some of these are twice removed via friends and they are charged something.  most of these have mineral oil for finish or boos butcher block oil.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on December 22, 2021, 09:49:44 AM
Tom you just reminded me of the fact I need to service the  motor on my mill.  :)
Just another free service I like to provide. ;D :D

Doc, that's a pretty good idea you have there. I wish I had the engraver to add to it, but just the boards might work. There are a couple of guys in the area making good money on these, but I could make a few on spec and see if they go. At least they stack and store easy. ;D Benches, not so much.

doc henderson

you could see if there is someone in the area.  It is very easy and takes 5 minutes to personalize with an initial.  I agree that making them personal also adds some value.  My friend Jim brings 5 or 10 bowls or boards at a time.  We work back and forth, and I do not charge him.  My turkey call maker brings a box at a time, and I do glass, slate and ceramic blanks with his logo.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Cut-split-stack-cut-split-stack-cut split stack. Seems like all I have done for the last 5 days, maybe more, it's just a blur of boredom. I can't wait to get this done. Tom my point, the only 'excitement' I had to day was when bucking a 20" HM log I felt two strange 'bumps' when I was nearly through. Nothing much, seemed almost like a hiccup in the saw, maybe getting low on gas. Anyway, I flipped the round to see if any telling marks showed up and found this.

Yeah, 2 nails. The saw didn't seem to mind much. It was at the end of the cutting session but I did another cut or two and the chain seemed to still cut.  I had rounds laying all over, so I switched back to splitting. I'll sharpen the saw in the morning, I don't like cutting with a compromised chain. The teeth sure didn't look as bad as I expected, but this chain is near the end of it's life. One side is in good shape, but the other side got rocked a while back and is much shorter (a stone inside a stump), it's nearly up on the witness marks, So if it takes too much to bring it back, I will swap it out.
 Still I can't wait to get this done and get back to work. The house pile is coming along and that has been my main concern, but I have a bunch more to go. Not all of this wood is what I would call 'good stuff' but I burn it all even the chunks and off-cuts. It's all BTU's, right?

I've got to pack that whole area to the ceiling before I feel 'good', then I have to go back and add more on the shop pile which is also short. I have a bunch of green stuff I am splitting small to dry faster and will 'back pile' that for burning late in the season. Yeah, I can make some up later on if the weather cooperates, but if we have a heavy snow winter, what I got is what I got and I'm stuck. I have to find a way to do this firewood without spending so much time on it. Right now I am getting closer everyday and that's the best I can do. I used to be able to do two full cycles a day, now I am fighting to get one full cycle done each day, which is only 1/3-1/2 cord sometimes a tad more.. Getting old sucks.

mudfarmer

1/2 cord per day better than 0/2 cord per day! Keep at it man.

What do you have for a splitter? I found a 'slip-on' 4-way wedge and modified it quite a bit to fit on mine and it, well, doubled :D the speed on a high percentage of my wood which comes from thinning and is a good size for such a thing. It isn't hydraulically controlled like a fancy splitter but not much else around here is either.

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

I use a Swisher 28ton. It's probably a better quality single wedge machine but certainly not for  production. I graduated to it about 8 years ago when my demand for wood increased at the same time my ability to hand split began to decline. Now at 10 cord/yr, I could never hand split all that without giving up all other work.

Swisher does make a slip-on 4 way and the last few years I have considered getting it. Apparently now Lowes sells it by special order. The cost ranges from $120 to over $300 depending on where you buy. I just don't know how much it would actually buy me verses fighting jam ups, etc. Just doing 20" rounds on this splitter is a handful to hang onto. Of course for 'right sized' wood, it would be much faster, but I have quite the mix and would have to re-think.

I have pondered this quite a bit in recent years because it is not necessarily the splitting part that slows me down, it is the whole process combined. So in trying to find ways to remove or streamline steps I have made some improvements over the years, but now it's a matter of how long can I stay at in continuously? If it were just the splitting portion that was holding me back, I could run down the road and grab Bill's Timberwolf with the 6 way blade and ramp things up. Bucking takes a while because with a pile of random 'arborist chunks' and logs it takes a bit to sort and line them up for bucking. Then I have rounds all over I am tripping over. So I buck up enough for a full splitting session, move the splitter close so I don't have to lift, carry, or move them much, put the trailer right next to the splitter, then split and flip them in the trailer. When the trailer is mounded over, I hook up the Mule and drag it over to the house and stack it. Stacking a trailer load takes about 45-60 minutes, about the same as splitting time. When I do the shop wood, I try to get the logs close to the shop pile, then buck. I put the splitter between the log pile and the stack, then from the splitter is goes right on the stack, which is much faster.

Splitting and stacking time gives me lots of time to think on it and I have come to believe that the limiting factor is simply my endurance. I am the weakest link.

Just a couple of years ago I could do 3 cycles in a day, or about 1-1-1/2 cord. Now it is hard to do one full cycle. Maybe my problem is between my ears, I dunno. I do know I don't really like working in the cold too much. Yesterday we had freezing rain the night before and I was getting pretty wet as that ice was melting off the logs as I split. The wind just made it a little more unpleasant and it got dang nasty at the end of the day. I was still stacking when darkness hit with 15mph winds. Not a lot of fun.

Today is another day, I had best get at it. The snow is coming in 'annoyance quantities' and I would love to have most of this log pile gone. Today I have a bunch of 20" stuff to buck and split, and stack.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 23, 2021, 08:32:34 AMJust a couple of years ago I could do 3 cycles in a day, or about 1-1-1/2 cord. Now it is hard to do one full cycle.

You have a couple of grandsons, right?  Time to break them in and have them stack the wood from the last session while you buck up the rounds for the next. Never too early to train them up! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I'm not mudfarmer, but I bought a wood splitter and they made a 4 way for me. 

top view

side view

and on the splitter

It just a slip on type.
I added on to the top of the wedge, so I could split the big pine I had easier. So that no longer can be used. I would split some pine in a vertical mode that I had that was 3 feet across and That standard wedge size would miss some of the big ones, due to root flare and odd shape pieces. I got fed up with trying to move those big pieces when they would not line up right. I added on about 6 inches and all is well now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mudfarmer

Thanks, I do not have a pic but that's pretty close!

Definitely not useful for every piece, and it took me a while to find a groove. Now I split everything that the 4way will love and then take it off and run through the rest. I am not usually dealing with big wood like an arborist would drop off though just thinnings and culls so mostly in the 4-16" range with the occasional bigger log.

Old Greenhorn

Mudfarmer and TheCfarm, you guys are wearing me down. I think you are trying to stimulate the economy by helping me spend my money. :D

But I did think about this today as I was splitting and I realized maybe my mind has been too closed toward this option. I am a big believer in 'the right tool for the job' and trying new thigs before I decide they don't work. That should apply here also. SO I am looking around and think I will order one. As you've said, it won't work for everything but it should save me some time. I looked at how many times a turned a round the get a second split and realized you guys may be more right than I am. SO I just have to order one. It's going to be cheaper than time and material to make one. I don't have much left on the pile now, a couple of days work, but I should get this moving, may have it in hand by the new year to try it out.

As for the grandson's, yeah that would be a good idea, but they are still a bit too young. They help when I am doing the shop wood but for the house wood the working area is tight and the stacks have to be right. They don't yet have those hand/eye skills mastered. They have to be overly supervised. ;D SO it doesn't buy me any time. They will get there though, in a few more years. Last year, when I first started the house pile and there was room my wife supervised while they stacked and they did a dang good job and much quicker that I ever would have guessed. But my wife isn't the best stacker either, so I had to 'adjust' a lot of it for safeties sake after they all went inside to make cookies. ;D

Today I managed to do one full cycle plus a little more before the sun dropped behind the trees. SO that's better. But I had a lot of junk wood that went right into the trash fire pile. I'll use that to heat the driveway at some future date. AT this point I am trying to get all the dead standing stuff split and stacked, then do the green stuff. My piles of swarf and dust are growing and I just move the splitter a few feet so I can deal with it later. I think I will just push it off with the plow because after the wood is cleaned up, that plow needs to go on. The end is nearly in sight. We have snow coming in overnight, but just enough to keep me wet tomorrow as I split.... I hope. It well be a short day, I need to do some Christmas shopping. Saturday is a lost day, I don't want to disturb the neighbors with the saw and splitter running and we have to go to my son's in the afternoon. Sunday I will get back to work and hopefully the weather will let me hit it hard. I'd like to have all the wood cleaned up by Tuesday and move on. I need to get back to the mill.

Old Greenhorn

Well the winter doldrums continue weather wise. Mostly cloudy and damp with a few breaks of sun to tease us into thinking it's going to get better. But the next day is the same. Friday I got another round in, Saturday was a quiet day with drizzle and light rain all day. We spent it at my son's with the grandsons and my daughter. 

Yesterday, back at it and did another cycle but I am down to mostly lousy wood and about 15% went right junk pile. It was getting to be a mess so I took some time and used the plow to push all the pithy junk out of my way and remove the trip hazards which makes life easier and safer. I still have a days work left, but hoping to finish all the wood I have today. Had some saw issues during the day. I kept finding dirt in all this junk and got to the point where the saw just wasn't cutting so I had to quit and give it a good sharpening, then back at it and it still wasn't quite right and I jammed the nose sprocket with pithy mush. SO back in the shop and cleared that out, but when I had the bar off I realized it had been 'a while' since I did bar maintenance. There was a pretty good burr on the rails which wasn't helping. So I dressed the rails and sides and gave it a good flushing and cleaning, then cleaned out the saw well and the side plate and put it all back together. Even though I had done the rakers last week, I checked them and found many that were too high, so I did those too.  This chain is just about done anyway, I am running up against the witness marks on most teeth, but I want to get through all this junk firewood before I put a new one on. I have put a lot of wood through that chain, about 1500 mushroom logs, several tons of slabs and a lot of other wood, so I am happy with how that LPX chain works for me. I think raker height gets more 'fussy' when the teeth are sharpened way back.

It went down to 27 last night but the shop was 60° when I stoked the stove an hour ago, so that is satisfying. Not a bad sunrise this morning, but they say "Red sky at Morning, Sailors take warning" so lets see what we get.

My son says he is coming over today to help finish the wood. Better late than never, right? Looks like rain later in the day so getting it done as early as possible may be helpful. It's already solid overcast, but the radar shows we should have a few hours anyway and the weather guessers are saying nothing until late in the day, but that radar says otherwise. Could be another snotty day but I need to get this wood finished.
 Time to have at it, but first I think I'll make a pot of coffee in the shop. :)

Old Greenhorn

Well the firewood was completed yesterday. AT least I am calling it done. I am out of logs, the weather is coming, it is what it is. It's probably the poorest load of wood I can remember in many years. Back to the days when I was working lots of hours and barely could manage any time to do firewood. But it is what it is as I said and we will make do with it. I have a large pile of junk chunks that I won't even bother to carry in for daytime heating. I'll just burn it in the driveway to clean up. My son and hi helper came by for 2 hours yesterday and the 3 of us made quick work of it. All stacked and the junk is plowed up to the side and out of the way. We quit at 12:30 on that and they left, at 1pm it started snowing again. ;D

In the process of doing the last bucking session I managed to mess that chain up again in short time and by the time I cut the last log it could have only been considered saw abuse. I sharpened it again last night, but I am pretty much out of teeth now. Some teeth took 12-15 files strokes. I'll put that new chain on very shortly and save this one for and emergency backup. I never put a chain in the storage box unless it is sharp and usable. I cleaned up some other stuff and put things right for the snow that may not have come yesterday, but will come soon.

Last night I got hit with another unanticipated financial hits, due in ten days. This stuff is killing me and it really brought me down. I had banked cash for the hit that I did expect in a couple of weeks and should be good for that, but this one doubled down on my problems. Now I am pretty much working to pay for these gut shots. I thought I was getting ahead and had enough left to get that new saw after I knocked the known obligation off, but now that just sailed out the window. Between the two bills I could be nearly cleaned out again. Oh well, I've been broke before, I'll be broke again, I'll just keep pushing ahead. What else can a guy do? None the less I went to bed early last night pretty depressed.

This morning I got up, called the bank to make arrangements for the transfer (they have a limit on a transfer amount unless you call first) and paid the debt. Now I just hope I get paid the lumber money I have coming to make up the difference for the next hit. AT least this one is paid and that clears my mind a little bit.

With that done, I tried to focus on getting back to work but I was slow moving. Wound up piddling away the morning here on the FF because I find some joy in the posts I read here and try to keep up with everyone's doings and it takes my mind off my misery for a little while. I'll read something I don't understand fully, if at all, then go off and do some searching to understand what is being discussed. That can chew up a lot of time some days.

Anyway, around lunchtime, I was getting antsy so I called Bill to catch up. He and the guys were out digging an in-ground pool and backfilling as it was getting filled. (Don't ask me, I don't get it either.). So nobody was at the yard and it's been close to 2 weeks since I was down there I think, so I went down just to see where I left off, what new logs were there and how I could best get going again. (I also picked up a couple dozen eggs since we are out.) While I was there, and because there really was no reason for me being there except enjoying the day and getting outside, I thought I would shoot a video for the folks here. It might give you a better picture of the log yard and what I am working with, or maybe not. It's 12 minutes which I think is pretty long, but you get a 'walk around' out of it. I think I mentioned @YellowHammer in there somewhere.

Job Security, The log pile - YouTube

Tonight some more snow coming in, maybe some rain too. Not likely to see the sun for about 3-5 days more at this point. I may have wasted the best day of the week today. ;D None the less, tomorrow is another day, let's see what we get.

Thank You Sponsors!