iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I would be interested in the tool that you use to make a plug from the bucket and plunk it in there.  guess I need to get a book, and or look on the internet.  any good resources.  the shrooms would go good with walnut syrup (as a hobby, not necessarily on top of).
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Doc, Field & Forest, mentioned about has a good site with a wide range of stuff and it is my impression that many or most of the commercial operations around here get their supplies and tools from them. North Spore is another one and they have some good (free) educational materials right on their website. Lastly the Cornell Small Farms program has a Specialty mushroom project website with lots of additional educational information available. I know the editor of this last one and have been 'helping him' correct some of his log buying information. ;D
 Fair warning, you have just asked me to direct you down a rabbit hole and I only did it because you asked and I have witnesses. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

69bronco

We use Field and Forest for spawn. Have had better luck over the years using the sawdust versus the plugs. Great people to deal with.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Nebraska on January 12, 2022, 08:22:38 PM

Yak Trax  is what these are called.  Haven't used them a bunch but they work. Slips on the boot pretty easy.
Following up on this one first. I got the new YakTrax today and will likely give them something of a test tomorrow. It took me a while, but I figured out how to bend my like like Nebraska did. You just have to suck in all your breath (hard), hold your mouth just right, and keep telling yourself there is no such thing as pain:

They do look like they should hold fairly well on the ice.

They sell several models now and this appeared to be the one they have designed for working folks in and out of equipment all day. Then run about 50 bucks a pair. They don't look very sexy from the side, but I do note they added a handle in the back to either pull them on, or I suppose you  could drag the body out with them.  ;D

They weren't too bad to pull on, but they are 'snug'. I'll let y'all know how they work.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

So catching up on other stuff: My Mushroom client was due today at 9am to review the work but before that even happened I got an early call from my buddy who had asked me to cut him some ax targets, which I did several weeks ago. He wanted to pick them up today, so I scheduled him for 2:30. 
 The client was a little late and had another appointment, so we got right into it. He is very happy with what we have so far and I had a punch list of questions to tick down to save time. We added some stuff (shelves, etc.), and removed some stuff (catch rack on the end), talked rough costing, etc. He now wants 2 of these units, plus, I think, a stand up rack to hold the logs on end for labeling. he would also like to have one of my roller fixtures on hand for sale at his classroom for any students that might want one. I also have to figure out a way to make a 'put in place' ridge pole down the center for covering it just to keep the heavy rain off when not in use. I want to avoid screws, to hold it in, so I have to think about it, but I have ideas. 

For those who asked, while we had an inoculation tool here I got a quick photo.

After the client left I finished off my notes and took the wife off for the monthly food shopping. We got home, made lunch, then the other buddy showed up right after I made a fresh pot of coffee and we took care of that (the coffee and the targets). Then I was left to myself. The client had left his drill bit and adaptor so I could see how long the battery pack would hold up drilling logs. He is concerned about how many batteries he might need. I don't think he will kill one during a session. But I thought as long as I had that I might shoot a video for others to understand this drilling process. I know I didn't get it until I finally saw it  being done and now I take it for granted because it is so simple, in fact it's a lot simpler than anybody would think. Woodworkers and other builders tend to drill holes rather carefully and thoughtfully. This isn't that.

Mushroom log drilling in a fixture. - YouTube

Anyway, not a bad day, fairly busy, which I like, and some creativity going on which I enjoy a lot. I need to make more lumber before I can finish this one and then more for the next one. Looks like we are talking a couple or 3 SGU's so that's not bad either, but we can figure that out later. I greatly enjoy working with this client and helping his business, so it's all good.

I have no idea what I am doing tomorrow. I should mill, but lets see if that wind dies off. Even with warmer temps today that wind was a killer and a show stopper for me. It's also supposed to turn back to colder air tomorrow, but that's not as bad as the wind. One day at a time, right?

doc henderson

very good.  i also went on the F&F site today and looked around.  the only thought I had while watching would be a scale of sorts for non-wood people to give an idea of spacing or just 2-inch marks or colors across the end to help with spacing holes as you drill.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Well, that's a logical thought Doc. In fact I may have had the same idea not too long ago. But the way it works is based on the mass of the log and the locations are really not important, what matters is getting the max yield out of a given log, so the more mass in a log (larger diameter, longer, whatever) the more holes you put in and you try to get them staggered along and around the log both in a longitudinal and radial direction. You'd be surprised, but after doing 6 logs or so you really start to get a feel for it by looking the the pattern around the log and adjusting as you go.  The goal is to get the spawn to spread through and around the log as uniformly as possible.
 At any rate, your brain starts to make constant adjustments for each log when you get in the right mindset of the end goal and any guides would likely very quickly be discarded. It's just one of those things you pick up very quickly as you go and with most folks, it seems, they pick it up pretty quick. Very small logs get (comparatively) very few holes and are more difficult to handle and go slower. Me, I wouldn't waste time with them, but you use what you got right? My client today remarked that the logs I have consistently been delivering to him are far better than almost everything he has cut in the past. Which is why he prefers to have me supplying his logs. Apparently it's a big load off his shoulders and allows him to do more workshops. I think I became his 'amazon for logs', just call and they show up a few days later. :D

WV Sawmiller

As I remember correctly the formula used to determine the spacing, depth and diameter of the inoculation holes is:

Q = R*LD(pi)/Wi (.5L/C)+DrDia*BT

Where:
Q= Quantity of holes to be drilled
R= Radius of the log
LD = Average Log diameter using at least 4 equally spaced measurements
Wi = Wood index from Chart (Provided separately) by wood type/species as measured at 180 days after cutting at 13% relative humidity
.5L = half the length of the log
C= TBD
Dr = Drill type (Manual, Battery powered or Electric – note different values are used for 110 V vs 220)
Dia = Diameter of the drill bit
BT = Drill Bit Type (Spade bit, Auger or standard)

This formula was developed by joint effort between the University of GA Forestry department and the University of Ala medical department (who had to be on site for testing because the bulldogs kept drilling holes into their thumbs),
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Gee, this is groundbreaking Howard. I'm not sure folks will be able to run those calcs in their head for each log, but it's good to know and I really should pass this up the line the the experts at Cornell and see what they think. I can also provide it to several folks doing this in the field for their review and consideration and share any feed back they provide.  Given the prestigious source of this data I am certain the academics are already doing their own peer review in the interests in maintaining their own grant writing campaigns against encroaching or conflicting theories.
 Also, please do let me know when you come up with a vale for "C" because without it, there is no way to validate it. Oh wait, I see what you did there. :D :D

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Okay. I suspect C will turn out to be atmospheric pressure measured in Bars or Core Temperature of the log in *Kelvin.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 19, 2022, 09:15:37 PM
Tom,

Okay. I suspect C will turn out to be ......
Just a hunch but I believe the scientific academic types are going to need more that "I suspect" before they go any further. Just sayin'. Are ou quite sure this came from the esteemed and non-glaciated sources you claimed? Because it almost seems like there is a frozen brain involved somewhere. We see that up here all the time.

WDH

No, that is not right.  You left out that you have to square the whole thing, then take the square root of that.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WDH on January 19, 2022, 10:37:55 PM
No, that is not right.  You left out that you have to square the whole thing, then take the square root of that.  
I was never a math whizz (saved by the calculator age) and I don't have a text book handy, but my instinct tells me that the end result will only change very slightly with that adjustment. :D

WV Sawmiller

Depends on whether the integer was positive or negative before squaring it.

Besides, most roots are round not square. ;)
Howard Green

Nebraska

That bit on the angle grinder?? I don't think I've seen one.  I just purchased a Milwaukee cordless angle grinder to match my other 18volt  stuff looks  like it might be handy.

Old Greenhorn

Good eye Nebraska. Yes, that bit, as far as I know is made specifically for this single application and I have only seen them available at mushroom suppliers. The also sell an adaptor to fit this to the angle grinder. Here is a better photo:

It has a pilot to help draw it in like a forstener bit and a single lip ground like a wood auger bit, the body is half round like some spade drills. AT the back end is that shoulder to control the depth.

If you are only doing a few logs you can get by with a 7/16 drill and some sort of tape or stop. These drills generally drill thousands of holes in their lives so I guess there is a big enough market for somebody to make them, even for a niche market.

BTW Howard, Pie are round, Cornbread are Square.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I need to show that to my wife. Ever since she found I prefer the corner piece of cornbread she has made it in a round pan just for spite. Them women can really be mean at time. ::)
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Well if you are going to show her that, you should show her this also:

I don't think she is being mean, after all she is still making cornbread for you so... No I think perhaps she may be toying with you a bit for fun because she thinks it's cute when you get flustered over something like 'no corners'.

Is she wanted to be mean she would mess with the brakes or steering on your ATV or something like that. :D ;D

WV Sawmiller

She knows she will never be able to replace me. I've just been way to good to that woman...
Howard Green

samandothers

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 20, 2022, 09:41:56 AM
Good eye Nebraska. Yes, that bit, as far as I know is made specifically for this single application and I have only seen them available at mushroom suppliers. The also sell an adaptor to fit this to the angle grinder.

There is a person on a machinist's forum somewhere with a thread on machining for mushroom industry.  I feel he / she is explaining the high material and labor cost of a niche market they have found but enjoy the challenge it presents.  I can imagine they are getting a lot of feedback from fellow machinists on ways to change/improve.

Hilltop366

Perhaps you are a bit paranoid WV, she is just trying to make you happy with the round cornbread......they are all corner pieces!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 20, 2022, 11:13:35 AM
  She knows she will never be able to replace me. I've just been way to good to that woman...
UM, yeah, OK.

Old Greenhorn

Well a little more catching up. Wednesday was a full day and yesterday I felt punk, no energy at all, zero. felt like a cold or worse coming on, just dog tired all day and I didn't sleep well the night before, bad persistent cough, junk coming up, etc. I was too weary to even keep up with the reading here on the FF and had to force myself to lace up boots and feed the shop stove. I took the whole day off and jsut napped, tried to watch a movie or two and read here some. I filled the shop stove early (and poorly) even though I knew it would be a cold night coming, I didn't really care. I was in bed before 9 figuring I would have a few more days of this.

But today is a new day, I got 9 hours of sleep straight through! I am going to take it easy, it was 2° when I got up, but I will get something done today. I just checked the shop stove after 13 hours and there was barely enough to re-kindle, but I did and it will take a while to warm the shop up from 42°. No big deal. I don't have the wood I need to work with, most hasn't been milled yet, so building in the shop is out of the question, but I will figure out something.

So a couple of days ago I got my first Mushroom inquiry of the season and I sent back a reply not thinking mush of it. I get a fair amount of random inquiries from new potential buyers who I never hear from again once they get the costing and terms, But this fella answered back a few hours later and was good with the cost. He wanted to pick up, which I like best, but he thought he could get 100 logs in a 6' pickup bed. When I indicated  what the weight would be (3,500-4,000#) he thought better and opted for delivery. (I charge a buck a mile and it's 104 miles each way.) He is also fine with the delivery charge so this morning we made a deal. He has surgery scheduled for early March and would like to get his logs inoculated before that happens, so I need to deliver before the end of February. This means cutting in the snow and I have to figure out access to get in and remove the logs to the landing. It will be a bit more work and tougher on the body, but anything for a laugh, right? I figure I can either use Bill's gator, tool cat, or at worst the tracked skidsteer to get the wood out and he is fine with that. I would like for it to warm up a bit though. With 'winter cut' the logs can lay around a lot longer because the trees are dormant and there are no bugs to start working on them. I also sent the client a photo of the log stand to see if he has an interest. I could build one and throw it on top of the load for a free delivery. I priced it at $150. just to see how that flies. You never know, right? I am not too thrilled about 3 hours of driving on interstates with the trailer (something new for me), but money is money, right?

Now it falls to me to figure out how to get something productive done today. Maybe I will go see if I can chop some 1x material chopped out of the frozen snow down at the mil to get drying out in the shop. It' too cold for me to mill today, but I am thinking tomorrow with the temp soaring near 20° I might at least finish up the one big log I have on the arms and make 2x4's and jacket wood for the rest of the build. I also want to make some low (12" tall) 4' long sawhorses for stacking lumber on down at the mill to make handling more easy.

Time to get at it. At least the sun is out today and that dang blasted wind has finally died down from the 35 mph stuff we had over the last few days. Now it's all below 20, so that is better.

doc henderson

at that height and to stack lumber, I wonder if a beam say 4 x 12 would work.  either solid wood or an I beam like the tops of your saw horses
put a cord on them so you can drag them place to place
always giving advice for problems you do not have.   :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!