iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aigheadish

You really can use my kid for some of this stuff. He likes the workout and I'll tell him he's paying our way to stay! He'll move and stack a cord for you.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

21incher

I just saw your new sign and there is a problem with it. It's only written in English! You need 6 languages like all the tool instructions these days.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Well I suppose a bean counting college boy would tell me that this would " reduce my target demographic" and I suppose they might be right. But then again, I am fine with that. :D :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

On second thought, maybe I should put the business name in Norwegian underneath the English. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tell them Violators go to the sykhus. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

I just realized 21 was talking about the GPS sign, I thought he was reading back and saw my business sign. Same response still applies.  ;D
However, I am thinking the next time I get my business sign reprinted I may get the business name repeated in Norsk and Deutsch. Some folks may get a kick out of it the and others will be befuddled, either way, I get a smile. :)

21incher

Yeah sorry  I was talking  about the road signs. Many in this country  can't  read English. Like the story that was going around a while back.
A homeowner put up signs around his property trespassers will be shot. One day he sees a tresspasser and fires a warning shot. The guy runs off. A couple  months  later the homeowner is in court being sued. Turns out the shot grazed the trespassers shoulder. He got a lawyer and won the case because he couldn't read English and the homeowner premeditated the shooting according  to his signs. Not sure if it's  true  but saw it on the internet so it must be. 
Glad I left Dutchess County 17 years ago when the city started  moving up.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

gspren

Probably not true but if it grazed a shoulder it wasn't a warning shot.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: 21incher on June 07, 2022, 07:41:14 PM....
Glad I left Dutchess County 17 years ago when the city started  moving up.
The city started moving to Dutchess County (and Ulster and Orange) about 100 years ago, they haven't stopped since. :D
Well yesterday I did a third loop and 'split/move/stack' and finished off the pile of rounds I had cut from the late winter storms and other collections.

So I have one pile out of the way and nothing left but junk to scrape out and clean in the RV parking spot.

Next I have to get on the pile of logs remaining. 

It's a fair amount but I hope it goes a little better because I will have less of the shorts and crooks that was in all the storm damaged cut-ups. Still, it's a bunch to get done in two weeks. I gave a healf hearted attempt at starting the bucking in the afternoon, but frankly my back was hurting fairly well and I didn't want to 'do something dumb' and push it too far. So I switched to a little weed whacking to finish off the day before the rain came in.
 Last night I got an inquiry for a small order of mushroom logs through my web age, a first. EVERY single email that has come through my web page has been spam, for 2 years, except this one. I should be able to knock that off between other work. Just ten logs.
 Just before bed Bill texted that he was curious when I would get back to milling. :D Apparently we have 2 more orders. Hemlock and EWP I think, 2x4's I think. Details would be helpful. ;D
 Back at it (whatever 'it' is) today. Things are piling up and I have to keep moving forward.

Nebraska

Great progress I have a firewood pile that looks very similar beckoning me to get started.

Old Greenhorn

These days I can tell if I gave it my all on a particular day by one of two indicators. Either the bottoms of my feet are dog tired and a bit sore, or that first beer at 5 o'clock puts me nearly right to sleep. Today I had both symptoms. The worst part is, I didn't do much.
 This morning I finally got up on the shop roof and cleaned out the gutter downspout clog so the rain tank could fill. While I was up there I put some better caulking around the chimney skirt because I had a little drip coming through this winter. It was hot up on that roof! I also am not as comfortable as I used to be on rooves even just 2 years ago. Those days may be waning for me. I will note that I observed FF rules and no ladders were used. I don't have one that tall anyway, it two stories up. I just climbed the antenna tower on the back of the shop, which is challenging enough but rock steady. It just doesn't have the easy incline of a ladder and goes straight up which is tougher on the legs for us old guys.

Next I gassed up the saw and started bucking more logs. It took the better part of the day with rest breaks but I managed to get one pile of logs fully bucked, with one more to go. 

It's a pretty good pile of rounds and you can see the other log pile in the background. It gave me a good chance to finally run in the new 562 that I got back in the winter. I have been using it to cut mill slabs and mushroom logs but most of that is sporadic. Today I gave it a decent run on solid wood and ran a couple of tanks through it. Near the end of the day I had problems keeping it running, or rather getting it to start and stay running, it would dog right down and stop. I may have to check in with my dealer (who many here know and love, or at least like ;D). It's probably me, but I do want to get along with my saw. Eventually it came around and ran fine until I quit for the day.

It's a pretty saw and I like it, not too heavy and cuts like a bandit with that x-cut chain. I also used a LogRite peavey for the first time on firewood. I have several log handling tools from them, but I picked up a 4' peavey on a whim at their open house in May because the other 'log rollers' I have are all cant hooks. This is my first peavey and I am loving this thing. Not really sure why, but it is just so much handier to bucking work. Plus that stand up feature is a real back saver. I used it last week to move logs in the trailer more like a pike pole and that worked much better than a cant hook ever did. For something I bought on a whim, I am really glad I got it now. I think my next LogRite impulse purchase is going to be something shorter and see how that works. Maybe I have been missing out by not using a mil special? Besides, those things are so cute. :)

My wife came home mid-afternoon and for some reason, which we have yet to discuss, she backed right into the front of the garage wall and pushed the corner wall in about 4". Popped most of the siding off there too. I admit that I kind of lost it for a few minutes. After I calmed down I went out and whacked the wall back close to where it should be (I could only get the door open 4") and then got the door full opened and whacked it back to about where it was supposed to be and straightened out the door track. Then I re-attached the siding and got the door working smoothly again. We will talk about that later, maybe never, I don't know. ;DSometimes the way we get along is to just not mention certain things.

I got a couple of mill orders today and am working on that table quote some more. I also have to make time to cut some mushroom logs. With all that going on I guess the garage thing overloaded me a bit, I didn't need something else to fix.
 Tomorrow is another day.

JD Guy

Don't be too hard on yourself. I've done the same thing and after a trying day or project my DW has either broken something or other. I come unglued for a bit and then realize that it's just a "thing" or object and if some sweat equity and a little cash can fix it it's all good. I do have to do some apologies though which are sometimes difficult for this hard head 😳

Old Greenhorn

Actually JD I am slightly proud of myself in this respect. I heard the crash and ran out to see what happened. I saw all the splinters and displaced wall and uttered some words I don't think she heard and then just came back in the house to get a handle on myself, sat here and said nothing. I wasn't happy that I lost it for a moment. She came in, saw that I was really [upset] and just walked on by without any attempt at chit-chat. After a few minutes I went out and started working on it. At dinner she apologized and I just said that I wished as we BOTH get older, she would slow her driving to a speed she could make decisions within. I have been having similar aging issues with backing trailers and such and have taught myself to just take it at a speed I can handle. If I can't see, I stop and re-align. She agreed she had to work on that. So no screaming and I didn't have to apologize to her when she wrecked the garage because I went off the deep end. I am getting better. In fact, since I retired and lost the work stress, it is pretty much gone, before that I was like a matchstick looking for a flame. That's why I was upset with myself for flipping out even a little bit. First time in two years. Now I gotta start over.

aigheadish

You've been busy Tom! Goodness!

I don't think you need to start over. It's hard being with the same people for long periods of time and it sounds like you handled it beautifully. Especially after the work you're getting done. Take it easy! 

The last argument my wife and I had was she decided to go into my shop and throw a destroyed chair, I was saving for a template, into the fire pile. Our discussion of it was pretty mellow and just told her to ask me. I wouldn't dare go into her sewing room and decide she doesn't need something. 

I want to check out the saw when we get there, I wouldn't mind something a bit beefier.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Spike60

Yeah, that dealer you mention can be quite creative with the sarcasm on the hot start problems. Particularly as retirement approaches, the desire for laughs at the possible expense of long term customer relationships is ever changing. The regulars know I'm joking, but the 917's don't get it. (917 is code for NYC people as that is the area code for most of their cell phones) Pulling in at the last minute is now also taboo ecept for the regulars. Last night guy pulls in right at 5:00. "Who the blank is this?". One of the guys I hadn't seen in a while in a different truck. Hung around BS'ing til 5:30. Gonna miss my regulars.

Had that exact hot start scenario 2 weeks ago when cutting on a warm day. If the saw sat for just the right, make that wrong time, it would start but didn't want to rev at all. Set down and let it idle for 30-45 seconds and then it cleaned up fine. And it was a 359, so there was no mysterious auto-tune to lay the blame on. Can happen with any saw. Tree company came in and told a similar story. Four saws on the job, 2 Huskys, 2 Stihls. All 4 of them were having hot start issues. One of the guys thought it might be better to set them in the shade, and the problem went away on all of them. Couple degees either way makes a big difference. And the key is often how long the saw sits before it acts up. Instant restarts or sitting long enough to actually start to cool is rarely a problem. But if you happen to pick it up right when the heat soak is peaking it can be a pain. That's what the deal was with my 359. Bring it up and we'll plug it in and if ya want and do the reset deal.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

Well I am not panicking. ;D I am just trying to learn the saw and find what it likes. The dogging and dying this is new and got my attention. You are correct, I was likely sitting the saw for just the wrong period of time for it to 'begin' cooling. I always lay it in the shade, because I hate to grab a blistering hot handle. I was cutting a lot of rounds one after the other, then shutting it off while I tossed and cleared rounds so I could buck some more. If I took a little sit down for a minute or two before starting in again it would get balky. I don't know if I should trip that high idle switch, or just tough it out with a lot of pulling. I also noticed the primer bulb sure did have hardly any gas in it and was soft. Maybe there is a little intermittent filter issue? Factory junk in the tank? That would be weird. I will try the 'letting it sit at idle' for a bit. I was concerned that might confuse the AT. Let's not hit the reset button until we know if it is the saw or the nut that holds the handle. :D
 As you know from that 450 you sold me (5 years ago?) I am not one of those guys that runs in to have my saw checked every time something different happens. In fact, I still need to bring that in for it's first checkup after 'running a few tanks through it'. ;D

Well it appears the rain is done (we got an inch) and I think the sun is popping out. No idea what I am doing today. I don't like cutting sloppy wet logs but it would be super if I can get them all done and ready for splitting. I will see how muddy it is around the pile. I do have some orders to mill. It's just another day.

Spike60

Use the high idle for sure. Primer is also a good idea as the fuel in the tank is cooler than up in the carb. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

OK, I will give that a shot today. Thanks!

Old Greenhorn

Yesterday I managed to finish bucking all the logs I had. It was a little less than what I did on the first day, but I had to push myself a bit because my back was still aching from the day before.
 Bob, your advice, as usual, was spot on. I had no troubles starting it using your tips, and letting it idle just for a little bit made the dogging issue disappear. In fact, I only had to let it idle for the amount of time it took to pull my gloves and muffs on. I got no complaints. Just a matter of educating the operator. Now if I could just figure out a way to keep it from running out of fuel. :D I don't get the warning on this saw like I do on the 450. It seems to go from screaming in a cut to 'stop' in a blink. ;D I continue to be impressed with that chain. This stuff was abut as dirty as it gets with loose bark and all kinds of junk. Yeah, the chain dulled quick but it hung in there and kept spitting out fully formed chips longer that I ever thought it would. Sharpening the X-cut is much faster too. I gave up using the guide and just freehand with excellent results since there is zero top angle on the file. I am pretty dang happy with this setup.
 I also got a request for 'just a few mushroom logs' and worked out some more details with the client for that dining table. I have finally 'hit his button' and found out what floats his boat. We have changed to a full width live edge slab and he is really happy with the plan now. I just have to work out some more details and work up the quote before we start.

Today I head off to the mill to try to catch back up a little. I think I have more than a days work (at my slow pace) in hemlock and ewp. I have to keep pushing so I can get going on the picnic tables orders I have.
 Today is another day.

aigheadish

Now I want to look at the saw and the chain!

Old Greenhorn

It's nothing magical. I notice the corner wears off pretty quick but the main cutting edge holds pretty well. the saw doesn't pull myself in, but with little pressure I can peel nice chips and the saw doesn't labor. I attribute a lot of that to the 65cc engine. my 450 would complain. ;D

thecfarm

I run a Stihl yellow chain on both my huskys. 
Really woke up that 450.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Catching y'all up a bit on my boring life. ;D Yesterday I needed to finish another small mill order. SO I found the toolcat parked out in the mulch yard and when I grabbed it I saw this little girl making a nest to drop some eggs.

She has a 50/50 shot. We planted a traffic cone there so it will remain undisturbed. It happens all the time. Gotta love these gals.

I am beginning to hate Hemlock. All the stress in it means flip, flip, and flip again and still I wind up with some twisted crooked wood. But the client for this is a journeyman carpenter and I checked with him and he said "it's all good, this is a simple job, the wood can have defects, no issues." I had hoped to dig out a big log, but couldn't find one, so I had to mill up 3 smaller ones to make his order. I was full of sweat when I was done, but I hacked up the slabs and grabbed them with the forks and ran them up to the OWB, filled that, and unloaded my tools. 
 Then I took my truck back down to the mill area and changed over to a pintle hitch and grabbed one of Bill's Tmberwolf splitters he was lending me to get my wood split quicker. My hitch was too low, so I just crept along getting it out so as not to drag and catch the front jack, which does not fold up. I puttered on home and got it in the driveway without issue and parked it by the pile. I was already pooped and it was only 1pm. So I had lunch, rested, and went back out and set the splitter as close as I could by hand. I diddled around for a while, not having a good flow plan for how I would work with this splitter. I backed my small trailer in and ran some wood.

I had the splitter pushing wood 'pretty much' onto the trailer with a little help. But I was still pooped. 

We had invited some neighbors and friends over just to sit around the fire in the evening. Noting special and last minute. Everyone wanted to come, but they have lives too and the only ones that showed up were Bill and his wife. We lost track of time and sat around the fire until after midnight discussing the usual weird stuff as well as the mundane town politics. A very late night for me, but quite relaxing, for sure. The other neighbors won't know what they missed. We laughed a lot and solved some of the world's problems in between. :)

Today, I wrestled with what to do with this wood operation. I have company coming in a week and need that area cleaned up, mostly because I promised myself. I realized my bottleneck is stacking. So I had that one trailer full in short order and I moved it over next to the shop pile and dropped it for stacking later. 

Then I went back to the pile of rounds and situated the splitter so that I can just split and let it land on the ground (with a little hand piling) and make a pile of split wood to be dealt with later. That will be out of the way for the other work I need to do. This splitter is a beast with a 6 way wedge and no shortage of power. (It really likes gas too!) Moving it by hand is not a lot of fun, but I found if I drive my LogRite peavey into the ground I can use it as a lever to creep the machine along. So that's the plan. Split wood until I am backed up on the output side and move the machine up a little to catch up with the receding pile of rounds working my way along until it's all split. It's a heck of a machine, I will say that. 

When I had finally shot my load and could go no longer, I came in and looked and looked at the calendar. I have 8 days until company arrives. I have all that wood to split, the ground to scrape and clean, two orders of mushroom logs to get done before Friday and I need to start work on slabs for picnic tables. I guess it's time I stopped feeling old and worn out and just get it done. This is gonna be a long week. I have not yet looked at the weather, but at this point, I will just have to work through it unless we get freezing rain.
 Tomorrow is another day, right?

thecfarm

Snapper are laying eggs down by the brook. It's all gravel so they seem to like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Yeah Ray, I think they look for workable ground (like we all do). Around here it's almost all hardpan and rock ( you know rocks, right?) This gal came up from the pond about 30' away and found herself what she thought was a good spot. Normally that chip pile gets turned and moved every couple of weeks. SO we put the cone and will leave that section alone for a while. The Snappers are moving all over the place here right now.

Thank You Sponsors!