iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well catching up here, a lot of odd stuff going on today. Started in the shop early as noted before and did some sanding/finishing, then I took the trailer down to Bill's and unloaded the ERC logs I collected yesterday. Came back, had lunch, and watched the finish dry. ;D Decided I had just put on the 'last coat'. 8) Ran into Bill on the road earlier and asked him to stop in and see if it was 'good enough' for his client. He came by around 3 and was pretty happy (maybe a little more). I have no photos of the full table yet (tomorrow) but here it is with one bench in place.

The other bench was still drying and didn't get set until an hour ago. Tomorrow I will drill and screw them in. With Festivals coming up quick I was on the phone with several calls making arrangements and plans for most of the late afternoon and after dinner. I thought I was done at 9pm, then Bill showed up at the door, then his little girl, then his wife. :D He had driven his gator 2 miles down the road (in the dark) to show his 'gals' the table. I could tell at that point that he kind of liked it. ;D He pointed out all the details in the wood to his wife like the medullary rays etc., but she didn't need it. She liked it a lot. That's my joy and made the project all worth while for me. Bill wants me to help deliver it on Sunday so I can explain to the client what went into it. 
 The big side benefit for me is that Bill now 'gets it' when I say "we need to do it this way" or whatever else I try to tell him, whereas just a week or so he was trying to tell me how I could cut corners and I respectfully refused. :D Now we are talking about getting that steel building set up into a shop before he gets the concrete poured whereas  as of last week we weren't going to put anything into that building until the floor was in and I found that annoying because I am working in very constrained conditions with a lot of extra handling work. So we are moving ahead. I knew he would come around when he was staring at the results. He jus t never saw my work in quite this light before. I ain't great at this stuff, but I will do for the quality that's needed. His main comment tonight was "yeah, we are gonna make a LOT more of these tables." I pretty much got that table done in 8 days (with a hiccup) and I really don't want to do that again if I can help it. I'd rather have it sit for a week to cure up, but we will deliver, as promised, on Sunday.

Tormorrow is another day. I have to go pickup a TeePee and get it set up among other things, but that's another story.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

popcorn_smiley that sounds quite different......

doc henderson

If Danny can throw around epicormic growth centers, why can I not talk about undulating lobulations?  Might be a medical term like a lobe or lobes pleural.   :) We spoke of adding it to the dictionary at one point.

There will come a day you will have to admit to being a woodworker.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

That looks great Tom! Well done.

On the glued together table top tip- The monthly ad from Woodcraft came around and had an ad for this "clamping system" and it looks, at first glance, pretty simple and slick. Anyone used something like this or is it just overkill? 34 bucks seems pretty cheap for it and that's not a common comment for anything from Woodcraft.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

That clamp looks neat, but I read the reviews on that catalog page and I think I will stick with my big beam clamps. If I had a glueup able bigger than the work, they could work well, but working on sawhorses it would be tricky.
 However, it is true, you NEVER have enough clamps and clamp varieties.

I had to do that yesterday t repair the roof edge that broke off my sign when a 50MPH wind knocked it over. I was too lazy to take it apart, replace the broken piece, and re-finish. First time I used those cheap HF clamps that come in a can full for a couple of bucks.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on July 01, 2022, 05:38:53 AM
If Danny can throw around epicormic growth centers, why can I not talk about undulating lobulations?  .......

There will come a day you will have to admit to being a woodworker.  
Well you are right Doc. My bad. I had a poor perception in my head. When I read Danny's stuff I am used to using google to figure out what he is talking about. But I thought I knew what lobulations were and didn't look it up. My understanding it was mostly related to serious diseases. But I did some homework and now I know differently. Mea Culpa.
As for you last sentence, yeah, that day may come, but it is not that day yet. Not as long as I keep making mistakes.

thecfarm

My saying is,
My wood working skills stop, when the trees hits the ground!!!  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Well, if you don't like long posts, don't read this one, move on. :D That is, assuming I can keep my eyes open long enough to finish it.
 Out in the shop early because I am getting into Gray Fox mode and it's been 2 years. For reasons I'll explain further down I had to repair an Army style cot (probably made in china) that got busted when I loaned it out about 5 years ago. Somebody flopped on it and broke a leg. So I cut the leg off, drilled out the rivets and removed the bad leg then put the tube sections over a piece of square stock and took out the wrinkles. Then I found a piece of red oak and ripped it down to a square that was a light driving fit into the tubing. I chamfered all the corners, drove one end in, then drove the other piece over the wood until the break met up. I drilled some new holes and put brass screws in to replace the rivets. Now I have a cot for my buddy that he can put his gear under and save tent space.

Not the neatest repair I have ever done, but fully functional and secure.

After that I made a call to arrange for the TeePee pickup. Nebraska, you made the mistake of showing interest in the teepee, so the following is you fault. :D

Bill Keith was a dear and treasured friend of mine (you can google or check him out on youtube). He is known widely around the world in 5 string banjo circles as an innovator and for promoting and teaching the "Keith Style" (Melodic) all over the globe. Bill also charted all the music in the Earl Scruggs banjo book that millions have learned from and is still in print. I met Bill too late in both our lives than I would have liked but I listened to his playing since I was about 18. He style is very different and influenced such players as Tony Thrischka, Ryan Cavanuagh, Bela Fleck, Noam Pickelny, and many others. There was a guy named Jerry Garcia that followed him on tour for a while to learn his technique. (Yes, Jerry started out as a banjo player). Bill played with a lot, if not all the greats of the 60's and 70's and beyond. He was a member of Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys. Many master musicians would seek counsel with him to work out new stuff or techniques. Bill was brilliant and a master teacher, he had a grasp of musical theory that few posses and I never could grasp, even after sitting through dozens of his classes over the years.
 Bill was a fixture at the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival, missing only a few years out of 30 when there were conflicts with his own tours. Bill was very accessible to the public through it all (unless it overwhelmed him and got crazy). At the festival all musicians were welcome at his campsite whether they were rank beginners or pros. He would spend time, sometimes hours with all who wanted to learn or ask questions. Many of the pros preforming at the festival would stop by for a bit to ask Bill's advice on something they were working on.
 You could always find Bill's campsite in a field of 6,000 people because he always brought his teepee. A teepee is very distinctive in a field of thousands of nylon dome tents. The teepee became a fixture. I don't know when he got the first one, but it was a long time ago. That got destroyed in a horrible storm, but he special ordered a new one with some engineering refinements which lasted him the duration. Bill would always set the teepee up alone because there was a geometric method to erecting it. You could watch, but he would only accept help to raise the poles.
 That's how I started my relationship with Bill, one extremely hot opening day at Grey Fox. We had met before (he played at my daughter's wedding and played with my son-in-law many many times) but I was still suffering from awe whenever I saw him and couldn't string together good sentences very well. You had to be in my head to understand. Anyway, it was terrible hot and I came across Bill setting up his teepee and asked if I could help. Well he was getting older and just said if I could follow instructions I could help. So we worked through it pretty quick and up it went. It was clear why he had his method and while we worked there was a side conversation about geometry, triangles and the Pythagorean theorem. Bill was trained as an engineer and had a mechanical and mathematical mind. We hit it off pretty quick and became good friends. Every year, I was the only guy that Bill would let help him set that teepee up. Between festivals, he gave me banjo (and mandolin) lessons and I was over his house almost every week. We hung out at his regular Thursday night gigs. In the years of his cancer I served as Bill's traveling companion around the states. The industry had found out he was dying and wanted to present him with awards for his contributions over a lifetime. IBMA Hall of Fame, IBMA Lifetime Achievement Award, and many others started sending him invitations to these events and I would help him get there and act as a low key foil when things got to be too much for him. I loved and still treasure those times. I met everybody and was at every high end party to be had at those events. Big players like Sam Bush and Bela Fleck knew me by name. Some would contact me rather than bother Bill in case he was having a bad day. I became his corresponding secretary for a short time, but I really don't think Bill ever knew that.
 At any rate Bill and I were close. When he passed, a lot of folks contacted me and asked if we could still get his teepee up to Grey Fox, as if it were up to me. It was not, but as it turned out, his son had picked up the flag of Bill's side business Keith Tuners (some still call these Scruggs tuners, but that's another long story) and he decided to do a tour of the major events to let folks know that the business was still in operation. So his son came to Grey Fox and I helped him set up the Teepee. We shared a campsite, just as I did with Bill. His son Martin (as well as his wife Claire) and I are still close friends and talk often. Since then (2016) the teepee has not been at Grey Fox.

I told you all that so I could tell you this:

Well 2 days ago I got a text from Martin. They had a family meeting and are still cleaning up Bill's stuff and came across the teepee. Over dinner they were trying to figure out what to do with it. It shouldn't go to rot, somebody should have it. They made a list of all the folks who would want it and know how to care for it, and use it, and my name was on the top of the list. In fact, my name was the only one of the list. There were a lot of folks who wanted it, but none who met their other criteria. So today I went up and met Martin at Claire's house and we dug it out of the garage and found everything but the stakes, but we did find others to make it work. After a couple of hours visiting and catching up, I headed home and worked in shifts through the 90°+ temps just as I did with Bill the first time I helped put it up. I had to make a tiny adjustment to the string we use for laying out the circle, but after that and a few other minor blunders (these things can be more complicated that one might think for such a very simple structure and it has been a while) I got it up. It looks pretty good, I think Bill would smile. Kind of amazing in that only 2 poles hold that thing up. The other 2 poles are just for the top vent.

I set up that cot to help me figure out if we have room for the 3 of us that need to stay in it, and I think it will work out ok. I texted a photo of it to one of the festival directors and asked if it was OK if we brought this. She texted me back that I had made her day and she had tears in her eyes. Her only thought was that it should go in the same spot it was always in, and that was my plan all along. I expect that she never thought she would see it again and many others are probably in the same boat. I guess some other folks will notice also. This will be a sweet little detail for the festival that most won't understand, but many will really appreciate. In fact I expect I will spend a fair amount of time explaining how it came to be there.
 After I got the canvas up I was shot from the heat, but I laid on my back in the shop and drilled holes the secure the benches on that table. I didn't get them all, but only have a few to finish it up tomorrow. I was just totally wiped out. This heat is a killer.
 Tomorrow we have rain scheduled, so I can check how tight the teepee is but I am sure it is fine. Good heavy canvas that. I will finish off the bench screws and then get in prep work for Grey fox. I also have to do prep work for the family reunion which is next weekend. Between the two I have a lot to do. I'll worry about all that tomorrow. ;D

Now Nebraska, aren't you glad you asked?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Congrats on the TeePee and helping keep your friend's memory alive. I hope you get many years of enjoyment from it.

Remember the old joke - What happened to the Indian who drank too much tea? He died in his TeaPee. (Sorry - the devil made me do it.)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Yes Tom I am quite pleased with myself.. :) I enjoyed that story and many others will too.

Nebraska

Though its not nearly and as storied and special as yours we have one as well.  Thank you for sharing that story btw....

Old Greenhorn

Well that post was a bit long, but at least 3 folks liked it. Maybe even read most of it. :D I put that photo up on my FB page with the simple comment "If you know, you know". It's already gotten almost 30 reactions from a dozen states and a few countries in Europe where Bill was extremely popular and toured often.
 This is bound to bring a lot of smiles at the Festival and I have already had a few asking if it will be there, but I'm not telling them....yet.

Nebraska I like that one you have, looks a lot bigger!

beenthere

Nebraska
Packing in with pack goats? 
Neighbor has a small goat herd that he trains all year long for elk hunting Quite the site to see them trotting around the trails. Keeping up, but at the same time wandering and meandering and eating along the way. 
Easier to keep when packing in than horses or mules, I understand. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nebraska

Yes a long time ago a friend of mine and a former veterinary school surgery resident and myself went Walleye fishing. The three of us didn't catch much but had a meandering conversation regarding Archery elk hunting etc.  Then somebody drank too much beer and shortly afterwards, did too much reading on the internet.. The epilogue  is... I ended up as a pervayor of packgoats... If one searches them you eventually will find us.  Website isnt up to date, and we havent done much with them for a couple years  as my buddy bought  himself another job and our kids have grown up, but they are there still,  its long   story maybe for another thread sometime.
The tiipii is rated a 16 man if I remember correctly. Fits four of us with gear,  sleeping pads, and a little stainless steel stove. Makes a lightweight pack in camp much more comfy. :)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nebraska

No not mine. Those are horny goats :), mine are disbudded when they are a couple weeks old... so no horns to get caught in the fence....

aigheadish

After hearing the teepee story, in person, I never thought I'd see it. Too cool! I'm glad you get to carry on the tradition but you may need a sign to explain what's up with it. That sign could be as simple as "If you know, you know"

Good stuff, Tom, thanks for sharing. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

samandothers

OGH,
Great story on the teepee and Bill.  I know you are thrilled to have it and those at the festival will enjoy seeing it back. 
Nebraska, 
Pack goats, I have never heard of such.  Thanks for sharing that and your teepee story.

Old Greenhorn

There really is no need for a sign. That has been a landmark at the festival for most of 30 years. Nobody has seen it there for 4 years now. My FB photo got shared on the festival page and has generated an awful lot of interest and excitement even from performers who are coming. I expect a little t of folks taking photos of themselves in front of it. Always happens. Not sure how many years I will continue with this but I will start looking for a successor to train.

doc henderson

@Nebraska : and a pack of horny pack goats to boot!   :snowball:   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Doc...Those goats are on my list
......yesterday morning  about 6:15 my wife calls on her way into work, and says "the goats are on the road".....     arg-smiley

So my day started off with fence repair.... It rained and the fencer was shorting out. One of their fence testing spies found a weakness in my defensive perimeter  and those stinging nettles in the road  ditch were oh so tasty.  Eventhough I sprayed them Forth of July evening anticipating such a maneuver by the goat fiends.....The dying wilt must've made them more attractive.... ::)

Sorry to hi jack,  back to our regularly scheduled  thread.....

beenthere

Quote from: Nebraska on July 09, 2022, 07:33:02 AM
Doc...Those goats are on my list
......yesterday morning  about 6:15 my wife calls on her way into work, and says "the goats are on the road".....     arg-smiley

So my day started off with fence repair.... It rained and the fencer was shorting out. One of their fence testing spies found a weakness in my defensive perimeter  and those stinging nettles in the road  ditch were oh so tasty.  Eventhough I sprayed them Forth of July evening anticipating such a maneuver by the goat fiends.....The dying wilt must've made them more attractive.... ::)

Sorry to hi jack,  back to our regularly scheduled  thread.....
Have found that "dying wilt" also makes black walnut leaves attractive to deer. They don't seem to bother live black walnut leaves but chow down on them after a day or two. Act like they are eating candy. 
south central Wisconsin

kantuckid

We pulled the electric fence around our yard and now the deer eat the rose blossoms as they come on. This time of year they come to a nearby pond and eat everything they run onto. Apples, pears, flowers, etc.. 
Goats, I can do without honestly said.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Old Greenhorn

Well, I am truly sorry for all the goat issues, but I don't 'do' goats so in the words of our fearless leader BWAHAHAHAHA! :D ;D

I (we) have been out of touch since Wednesday when we left for VT. We had very limited connectivity, but I could read the forum through a wifi link when I had a few minutes, but couldn't watch any videos or anything as my cousin's pay for their internet by the usage and I wasn't going to run them up. We went over to help setup for the family reunion on Saturday, so I spent my days working on my tan, as we say. That means weed whacking around 6 acres, mowing, setting canopies, picking up food, ice, whatever, and generally doing whatever needed to be done. My cousin kept trying to get me interested in hooking up the brush hog to the tractor and knocking down another 3 acres that he had not hit yet this season, but I just couldn't find time. ;D Working with family is great fun and we were usually full into it by 7am each day.
 We had family from Maine, Texas, CT, MA, northern NY, MI, and other states (VT too). It was a great time, I didn't think to take any photos except these. As we were doing chores I saw this pulley:

I had never seen one with such a large v-belt design and that small pinion had me curious, really curious. So I asked my cousin Bill, what the story was and he told me. It makes sense, but I wondered if anybody here could figure it out. I'll wait and see if you folks can come up with what this pulley was used on. The pulley is about 3' diameter and the pinion is about 3-1/2". Here is the v-groove:

That groove is about 1-1/8" wide at the top. I am betting somebody is going to guess this without any further hints.
 Doing errands we had to go to the JD dealer down in MA to get a belt for Bill's lawn tractor we blew up and while there I found a NOS plastic scabbard for a top handle Stihl sissy saw that my buddy Bill would love to hang inside the bucket on his truck for trimming work so I bought it for 4 bucks and got a 24" for my saw for another 5 bucks. (big spender).
 We had a lot of fun and the reunion was great. We stuck around today until everything was cleaned up and just the Texas cousins were left (they leave tomorrow). We headed home and got back here around 5:30pm. I unloaded MOST of the stuff, a lot is just getting repacked tomorrow for Grey Fox, which is tomorrow's main task. Food shopping, load the truck, hook up the trailer, load the Mule, find all the odds and ends on my long list, and then head out early on Tuesday. 
 This afternoon, when I went by the wifi spot to check in on my pretty ill daughter back home, I got a bunch of other messages. One was from the director of the festival asking me to please call her regarding the teepee. I got a sinking feeling that there as now some 'issue'. She is way too busy to deal with low level folks like me, although we are good friends, she is working like a one armed paper hanger at this point, so I am concerned about why she needs to talk to me.
 I called her. She knew the teepee was coming up and she, as much as anyone appreciates what it means, on a long term professional level over 30 years, she was quite close with Bill, so I was really concerned about this call. Turns out, they were so pleased it was 'coming back' that they are arranging for a videographer to do a time lapse video of the teepee raising and they have another magazine photographer who wants to include it in the magazine article he is doing on the festival. She wanted to arrange times, make me aware, and make sure I coordinated with them when I get on site. Normally I go up in ratty work clothes early and try to get camp set up before the sun gets too high in the sky. I guess I need to rethink for this one. ;D It used to be work, now, apparently, it's a performance. :D I hope I get it right the first time.
 Tomorrow is another day and it feels like it is going to be a long one just getting ready for the longer day that follows.

Thank You Sponsors!