iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making it through another year '21-'23

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 17, 2021, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

looks great.  let me know if and when you want more coins. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Doc, I am using those coins judiciously, just putting them on nicer pieces. They really add to the illusion that I make nice stuff and know what I'm doing.  ;D That one in the video I just dropped and glued it in the hole and put a weight on it overnight, then used the same tung oil finish on it for a few coats and buffed it all even. I like it better the way I did it on the bar and make a deeper hole, glue it in, then float the whole thing even with epoxy. It blends in and looks pretty dang slick. The client keeps commenting on it every time he sees it. I still have 5 finished benches (those nice Cherry ones) that I need to put these on and am really hoping I can blend them in as nice because the woods are contrasting colors. I need to remember to do these at the time of build, rather than afterwards.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Old Greenhorn

Man I feel old this evening. :D I did get some stuff done today but it was like work, y'know?

Temps and weather were great over the weekend, perfect weather, I'd say. Yesterday was an easy day, the Granscon's came over in the morning and they picked out some Ash for me to cut stumps to put their bench on , we did a test sitting and they are well pleased so I sent them home with the nesessary materials to assemble it by the bus stop. Then I had a quick light lunch and headed to the mill where the focus was just cleaning and setting myself up for work. I blew the mill off good and checked some basic seasonal stuff and did a little raking. Bill eventually came by and jumped the F600 dump to get that out of the way and I took a stack of 1x12's off the broken bunks and sticker stacked them elsewhere. I replaced those bunks with some 1' high sawhorses and dead stacked the 2x4's a I left laying on the mill. They will get used very soon to make stands for roller tables. :) Bill and I had conversations about getting things working better this year and we are going to try some things out. I took a load of slabs up and filled the OWB before heading home.
 In the shop I piddled around a little bit, closed up, then came in for dinner.
-------------------
 I haven't needed any fire in the shop for several days now, BUT I also noticed my finishes are not curing at the rate I am used to and are not workable after 12-18 hours and need another day. So last night I tried a little experiment. After dinner I was going to apply another coat on 3 or 4 pieces, so I went out after dinner and started a fire in the stove even though the shop was 70° already. All I had in the stove was deadfall yard junk, branches I has cut up in the afternoon and stuffed in there to get rid of. Nothing over 3" diameter and most of it dry rotted. I let that go while I put finishes on and cleaned up and the shop got up to 78° in that time. ;D I choked the stove back to my normal overnight setting but sure didn't have much wood density in there at all. When I went to bed it was still 77 out there and when I got up it was 68° while it was about 51 outside. Checked my finishes and they were cured perfectly and ready for sanding or whatever. Lesson learned. I'll do the same thing tonight with more yard junk I found today.
--------------------

So today was another fine day, I know this because one of my Cats woke me at 6am to tell me, while the other woke my wife to tell her. ;D
 I got out to the shop at a reasonable time to check on last night's experiment and saw that the finish on my demo bench was solid enough that I could work on it and drill the holes for the legs and put the inserts in etc. Since I often recommend RiteLegs to clients but they are (understandably) hesitant, I thought I would do a video to show how these legs go on, why I find them a better solution, and how I install them. I also wanted to show how nice these legs are. So I shot a video and although this might seem like a commercial for RiteLeg, it is really targeted to my clients so they get a better understanding of why I use these legs. I also DO like to plug the suppliers I find easy to work with and help me out from time to time. It's a relationship that is too rare these days and I admit I like to foster that. I'm just a tiny guy doing small wok, but what the heck? So here is that video:

Installing RiteLegs on a Bench - YouTube

After I finished up there I figured I was overdue to get some firewood going so I went out and tried to start the big splitter only to find a completely dead battery. It seems that when Bill dropped it off, he had cranked the engine to get the log lifter down on the ground and didn't shut the key fully "OFF", and it just drained flat. So I put that on charge (can't move it with the lifter on the ground) and moved the other stuff around as much as I could. I had a light lunch, messed in the shop with other stuff, edited that video and left it to process for an hour or two and finally got the splitter running. Nearly tore my back in half pushing the beast over to where I wanted it, pulled a trailer up, and started splitting. Took less than an hour to pretty much fill the trailer while also finishing off what was left of my back muscles (probably from moving the splitter and trailer by hand). I decided not to push my luck. I need to get back in that groove of handling rounds. Also I noticed a leak on the wedge lift cylinder, so I fixed that. I'll top off that trailer tomorrow and try to get it all stacked. We have company coming on Wednesday that will park their camper near my splitting area, so I'd like to dress that up a little with the small amount of time I have.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

Tom.

I wonder if the fire in the shop is not just to provide higher temps but if it is reducing the humidity that helps your finishes dry.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

No doubt Howard, but I have noticed that temp has something to do with it too. Urethans, or much else, doesn't cure/dry very quickly in the low 60° temps. at 70 or above they all do pretty good. But I think it is probably both.

Old Greenhorn

I did another junk fire in the shop over night Monday and again last night. Just burning stuff that would normally go into a burn pile, so 'free' stuff. Last nights fire was just junk that falls off the splitter and I will have plenty of that. I just shove a couple of milk crates under the wedge area and they fill up quick.
 I only did a little touch up work in the shop yesterday and split a trailer full of firewood and got that stacked. Ready for another round today, but we have company coming so I'd like to get that trailer loaded and at least out of the way before they arrive in early afternoon. I need to do a run to town also for 'supplies'.
 Here is finished photo of that glue-up bench with the ritelegs, I'll put more in the 'watcha makin' thread.

I still need to clean those legs up a bit, but it looks pretty good considering it was made from scraps. ;D
 Gotta get to work, lots to do today. :)

Old Greenhorn

Well yesterday was busy just as I predicted. Our company that was coming through CT was going to try and pick up the new legs I have coming from Riteleg but the timing just missed by half a day. So they had to be shipped. I got a call from Shaina around noon that the legs were in, passed final inspection and were being shipped out in the afternoon. So that was good news. I had gotten as early a start as I could on firewood and bucked up a bunch and split a mess up until I had a loaded trailer, then moved it over for stacking and got it out of the way of the rigg arriving in a few hours. 
 I ran to town to do a little shopping then came home and got a quick shower which was really needed.  ;D When I came out of the house, our company had arrived. Maybe some of you folks know these fine folks?

For those who may not, that is @terrifictimbersllc and his lovey wife. Dennis and Jody are enjoying a west bound jaunt across CT and NY visiting friends along the way and we were lucky enough to have them stop here for a night.
 So we relaxed and hung out a bit after the 'shop tour' (which lasts all of 5 minutes) and then took a ride down to Bill's place and the sawmill. I'll let Dennis tell you about that if he cares to. For me, it's just where I live, but they were interested to see some of the things I write about for themselves. On the way back, we ran into Bill, who was not having a good day, having just blown up two tires on his equipment trailer with a machine loaded on. He had called a buddy who was bringing him back to the shop to get jacks and tools to pull the wheels, bring them back to the shop, put on the new rubber he already had, and go remount them and get it all home. He would not tell us what was on the trailer. I have no idea what time he finally brought it all home, and I didn't see it drive by.
 So we went on back home and sat around talking then went out and had a pretty nice dinner. This morning I was in the shop around 7 and working on a 'honey-do' and Dennis came in a bit later. We had some coffee, and just like that, they were on the road again. I kind of envy them their drive today, winding west through the center of the Catskills and a much less traveled road. They will pass through Cooperstown and Oneonta before reaching their next stop. 
 It's always nice to take a day or two out and enjoy visitors and the break, for me at least, was welcome. I wish them safe travels. :)
----------------------
 This morning, just for giggles, I checked the tracking number on those legs and UPS shows them 'out for delivery' today. That will be less than 24 hours since shipping. I don't know how RiteLeg does it, but shipping from them always seems to be 2 days or less. Pretty amazing since I have waited for packages from 30 miles away take a week to get here.
 So this afternoon I may get started mounting them up.
 It's a beautiful day in the Catskills, time to get back at it.

Old Greenhorn

Yesterday the legs arrived around 1pm, so less than 24 hours from shipping and that box was around 80lbs! They looked pretty good considering what they'd been through and given the weight to handle. SO I wasted no time and got them mounted up. I had to do a video, just for continuity for those 3 people that are following along with the build.

The Bar Episode 17 - YouTube

The rest of the day I messed with this and that and am now waiting for somebody to stop by and help me flip the bar up on it's legs. In the meantime I can finish up the lower shelf now that I can take measurements to ensure a good fit up.

It's supposed to be in the mid 80's today! Guess I'll be sweating no matter what I do. :)

doc henderson

Nice job.  what size and where do you source your inserts and machine screws?  A brad point bit may be less prone to wondering and give a flat bottom so you do not have to over-drill for the insert.

I used inserts years ago on a baby changing table.  nice if you move and or for storage of items not used forever.  like a baby changing table. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I get my inserts from Rite Leg. In the previous video with the bench legs I go into some detail on those for folks not familiar. I kind of left some of that out in this one so as not to be redundant. The inserts take a 1/4-20 screw and are .781" long, so under 7/8" and will work fine in a 1" top if you are careful. They also have a starter pilot which helps get them started straight in the hole and drops into the drill point area.
 I'll have to look for a brad point drill in the right size and just leave it in the kit I have made up with all the needed tools and supplies together.
 Screws I buy at HD and they can be different materials of head shapes depending on the project.

I just like using these for so many reasons that I don't think I would do attached legs like this without them. The only exception would be large picnic tables that don't get taken apart. I have done those with Rite Legs and used construction quality screws because the slabs are around 2.5-3" thick and I use a bunch of screws.

doc henderson

I did not see the tip of the insert, but if it is pointed then your regular bit may work better,  if they are flat the brad point may help.  I think I remember that now as I watch all your videos.

Old Greenhorn

Well Doc, I been thinking on those drills and I'm not sure how they will work for staying on location in hardwood. Drills like that can take a jump in one direction or other when they hit denser wood and that would be really bad for this application. I had my standard 118° point drill do that on one hole in the bar legs, but I caught it quick and corrected it before I had a bad hole. I'll keep pondering that, no way of knowing for sure unless I try it. For now, I have had no issues with what I am doing. The pilot diameter on the insert tends to go down further in the drill point although it is not tapered.
-------------------
Well it got hot today, mid 80's and I am still tired most of the time. I stacked some firewood this morning until my back started screaming, then had some early lunch. I headed down to the mill knowing it would be hot, but I wanted to get at least a couple of logs cleared out. Something is better than nothing, right? The logs queued up were not so good, I got some 2x4's, 2x6's and a 6x6, very little of which will go to an order, but I need to burn up those logs and clear the deck for hemlock. Some of the 2x4's I took home to build support stands for some roller tables.
Bill was back at the shop to get gear and I went up to say hi on the way out. I finally found out what he had on the trailer that was such a secret the other day. Apparently, 3 backhoes are not enough. @terrifictimbersllc and Jody will get a kick out of this, it drove past the house while we were all out to dinner Wednesday night.

It's a Dynahoe 190-4 and a fairly substantial backhoe loader with a split bucket. This will be the biggest of his backhoes (so far). I'm not yet sure what it needs, but it weighs in at about 23,000 pounds.  ;D No wonder he blew the 2 trailer tires due for replacement. :D

After that, I came home and finished stacking that trailer load. Then my neighbor stopped in and got sucked into helping me flip the bar. :D It's pretty tall, but sitting on 2x8's, so will come down a bit. (maybe like, I dunno, 2" or so?) It is starting to look fairly acceptable. The legs looks great! I am fairly happy. Might have this out of the shop in 2 weeks or so.

I just have to put the skin coat of epoxy on top to finish the top and complete the shelf. I confess that I am considering another shelf at the stringer level that would have high sides and hold bottles or a small purpose built beer cooler/ice tank thing-a-ma-jig. I should stop those thoughts. This has gone on long enough. :D I need the shop space back.

Tomorrow is another day and I think most of it will be lost to other stuff.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that when I was down at the mill I was sizing up my first log and figuring out the plane for it. I guess I stood in one spot too long and a flippin' bird landed on my hat! I have never had THAT happen before. He/she freaked me out a bit I will admit. I think I freaked him/her out in return. I didn't know if she/he was landing or attacking and in that instant and my arms began flying around. :D ;D It must have been amusing to watch if anybody had been watching. :laugh:
 That passed and I forgot about it. A half hour later one of those horned pine beetles landed on the back of my neck looking for a log. I was less generous with the beetle and he was a stain on the sawdeck in a millisecond. :D They are busy right now and as I was milling pine, I wasn't very sympathetic. Sorry dude, you're toast. I HATE those things. :)

doc henderson

video of the bird landing on your hat? :)

Old Greenhorn

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I don't understand the design on the bar. Is that a lip on the front? What is the purpose? So they user can keep the glasses or beer bottles/cans lined up straight? (There must be more to this drinking thing than I thought there was. ;))

I confess that I am considering another shelf at the stringer level that would have high sides and hold bottles or a small purpose built beer cooler/ice tank thing-a-ma-jig. I should stop those thoughts. This has gone on long enough.  I need the shop space back.

I think you are right - put this one to bed and move on to something else.  :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

No Howard, that's the back of the bar and it's a shot glass shelf. One would place a drain through material on there if it were a wet bar to allow cleaned glasses to dry. In this case it a place to keep shot glasses, swizzle sticks, and whatnot. I can say it was a later thought and added a considerable amount of work with the joint, trim and getting the finish right inside all the corners.

If I do that extra shelf, it will be later and a separate item.

GRANITEstateMP

OGH, Bill must have security cams, you sure don't the bird landing on you incident wasn't caught on tape??  :D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

terrifictimbersllc

We just got home. Our trip took us to New Milford (night 1), OGH's (night 2), then 2 nights near Skaneateles NY (Nights 3 & 4) and Night 5 last night at SUNY Morrisville (NY), Parking lot D, after my wife's niece's graduation ceremony yesterday).

The visit to OGH's was awesome. We got to see the Woodsman Forest Products factory where it happens (tables benches epoxy shroom logs et al) , which was not quite as I had envisioned, as for whatever reason I was thinking that some of it took place at Bill's. Two stories of industriousness, the woodstove, the RV spot, dinner with Tom and Pat at the barbecue place, and then there was the visit to Bill's. And on the way out of Bill's back to Tom's,  we actually got to meet Bill (and CJ). Bill asked me what I thought. I wish I had done better, I was super impressed and wanted to call a realtor to find me more of the same. I wish I had told him that.  Instead, lamely,  I said I can't un-see it, I just will have to deal with it.  In my defense, if you can imagine a Mad Max village in a rainforest, with an almost new LT50 to keep things real, or surreal, take your pick,  in a tour rover driven by OGH.....Maybe Tom can make sure Bill knows we enjoyed it immensely. Seriously, another mountaintop experience only made possible by The Forestry Forum. Thanks Tom and Pat. We had a great time.

The arrow on the sign is pointing to Bill's place, it should be pointing up, to the guy holding it.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Granitestate, Bill has no such cameras and I wouldn't work someplace where I was on camera all the time anyway. Sorry. His security is measured in calibers. ;D
-----------------------
Dennis, thanks for the kind words. FF members are always welcome here but I am always a bit apprehensive on that first visit because I can't really meet the expectations. I have a small place with a small shop and am more of a hacker with small or no equipment. It's not very impressive at all (there's a warning for the rest of you ;D). Even my little RV spot is in the driveway and not very 'pleasant' for a lot of RV folks. So I am more than pleased that your visit was enjoyable.
 It's very funny that you mentioned that comment you made "I can't un-see it". A couple days later Bill was perplexed about that and asked me if it was a bad thing or a good thing. :D I just said it wasn't a bad thing. I printed out your reply, you explained it better than I could. Bill doesn't have a computer or 'do internet'. ;D
 We were very happy to have you and now that you know where we are you are welcome anytime. Even if we aren't home and you need a spot to spend the night, stop on in. You know where the hookup is and the shop fridge is handy and the WiFi should be working. The Owls will be waiting for you too, more than likely. Of course, you also know how to find Bill's place. ;D
---------------------
 Routine day today here. Odds and ends. I sanded and put another coat on the bottom of that botched shelf, did some cleaning in the shop, got involved charging and fixing water extinguishers, and finally hooked up the rain water pump. The burn ban ends today and I surely would like to get my brush pile burned up. I want to have water handy for control so I don't need it. ;D I also noticed the attic temp is 120° so I threw another cookie up there to see how it dries, I should check the stuff I put up there a year ago. I think it's dry by now. ;D

Tomorrow's another day, probably some mill time, then we'll see.

GRANITEstateMP

OGH, I like small, med, and large caliber security cameras ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Old Greenhorn

Life is too short for small calibers. :D ;D

21incher

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 14, 2023, 04:11:04 PM
We just got home. Our trip took us to New Milford (night 1), OGH's (night 2), then 2 nights near Skaneateles NY (Nights 3 & 4) and Night 5 last night at SUNY Morrisville (NY), Parking lot D, after my wife's niece's graduation ceremony yesterday).

Hope you visited Doug's Fish Fry in Skaneateles.  We are about  an hour away and love running over there for lunch. Great little town in the off season. 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Nebraska

If Bill doesn't computer/internet,  how is he finding things like the last backhoe treasure that came to "Mad Max Village". (I like that mental picture). :)

Old Greenhorn

Word of mouth, human connections, job site chit-chat, etc, etc. al seem to work for him. He does go to auctions from time to time but lately it's been a lot of junk for stupid money. One of his secrets seems to be that he sees something and offers cash and loading/hauling so the current owner has no hassles to deal with. He gets stuff before it goes to auction. He also keeps a rolling inventory in his head of what other folks have that they might sell, so that if a need arises, he knows where to find it. He drives back roads a lot and will knock on doors when he sees something. You never know until you ask.
 Old school, but it works for him.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 21incher on May 14, 2023, 09:42:07 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 14, 2023, 04:11:04 PM

Hope you visited Doug's Fish Fry in Skaneateles.  We are about  an hour away and love running over there for lunch. Great little town in the off season.
Maybe next time. First evening, we went to Dino  BBQ place in Syracuse, second, we went to Gilda's on the main drag in Skaneateles. Nice when visiting and hosts pick the places.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!