iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling for smallish burls

Started by Roundhouse, May 24, 2021, 10:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundhouse

A week ago I was walking the backlot of my woods and noticed a tree that had escaped my attention previously. It's a birch that's mature but somewhat stunted due to the condition of the forest, approximately 16"-18" DBH. What caught my eye was the many burls covering the trunk. There are the occasional burls found in my woods but normally on hard maple and never in this quantity. 

Most of the burls are not all that large, doubtful that there are many big enough for bowls and such. That has me thinking, what might be the best way to mill this into lumber and feature it's unique qualities? If I try to flat saw this or quarter saw will the burl grain extend beyond the jacket boards? The other possibility I've considered is if the burl grain doesn't go far below the surface is cutting it live edge to include a lot of burl interest in those edges. Figured I'd throw this out there to collected experience here for anyone who may have milled something similar and what the best way to get to most out of such a log(s).

There are a few other irons in the fire before I get around to cutting and milling this tree, probably a year or two from now, but it's an interesting puzzle. I can't wait to see what the inside of this birch may look like, thinking about it and talking about it has to stand in for making sawdust at this time.
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Thank You Sponsors!