iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cribbing

Started by welderskelter, July 12, 2021, 08:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

What kind of wood is permissible when sawing cribbing? We have burr oak, red oak, black and white ash.

WV Sawmiller

Saw whatever is available. Hard wood is better than soft wood but you can use either. Low grade wood that won't make anything is a candidate for cribbing. I used a lot of my ash and sawed a bunch of 2'X6"X6" and ones that would not make a 6X6 I made into a 3X6 as different sizes are handy. More durable wood like white oak or locust is desirable Some people may prefer longer cribbing but I could not find a standard so I made what works for me. Good luck.

If you are sawing for a specific customer see what they want. If speculating or for your own use saw what you have and people will buy what is available.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

I sawed cribbing for a construction company that set up portable concrete plants for road construction.  They were picky on species and sizes.  They had about 6 different sizes of blocks.  Can't remember what species they wanted as it was about 20 years ago.  They wanted it on short order and delivered.  Pay was great!!!

I've sawed for other places that could care less about species but size was usually specified.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

nopoint

I prefer cottonwood myself. Not as rot resistant but very durable and much lighter than oak. Learned this from local house mover. Personally I use 4x6 for cribbing and have never had any problems with the cottonwood holding up something like a barn or house for foundation repair.

Thank You Sponsors!