iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CBN wheel for kasco 4 degree bands

Started by JoshNZ, August 01, 2021, 06:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

Where do I find such a wheel? Can a WM 7/8" 4 degree CBN wheel be used on the kasco 4 degree bands or are the profiles quite different?

I'm hoping to get one sent to NZ and upgrade me old ltaga sharpener, because grinding wheels seem to be completely unobtainable here X(.

terrifictimbersllc

Cutting Edge, here on the forum. AKA Richard. is one place. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

gmmills

A CBN  wheel  to match the Kasco 4 deg profile is readily available, depending on current inventory. The 4 deg Kasco profile is significantly different from the WM profile.  Using the 4 deg WM wheel to sharpen Kasco  4's would be truly counter productive.

Contact member Cutting Edge, he should be able to get you a Kasco branded CBN wheel for the 4 deg Kasco blades.  PH # 304-878-3343  
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

woodyone.john

You  have  all the info you  need.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

terrifictimbersllc

Are your Kasco bands 4/40? if not what are they?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JoshNZ

I'm in touch with Richard thanks for that, waiting on an international shipping quote.

Actually my kasco bands aren't here yet, I got my supplier to have a few welded up overseas and I really liked them, whatever they were, so had him bring a whole coil over. I'm going to end up with 25-30 of them all at once hence the search for a CBN wheel. I didn't realise kasco made more than one 4 degree blades I better confirm what it is.

I have still got to get through my old 10 degree bands about 15 of them left and can't find a grinding stone to replace the one I've just about used up on my ltaga.
Have you folks ever used anything in a pinch, when you need to get a band sharpener and you don't have a proper wheel for your drag sharpener? Ive been told angle grinder wheels are ok for one band before they're on their way out. I wondered about stacking chainsaw grinder wheels and dressing them down to fit under the guard (or modifying the guard - more likely as I'm about to swap the motor too).

Or is there any other kind of stone for any common application I can adopt to this machine? I don't mind machining a new arbor or bushes etc for a better permanent solution. Also don't mind two passes if stone doesn't quite fit, I'm not in a rush.

DennisK

Try to touch to base with @Kbietz he's a machinist and figured some sharpening methods.

Cutting Edge

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on August 02, 2021, 06:31:37 AM
Are your Kasco bands 4/40? if not what are they?

Kasco does not manufacture a 4/40 blade.  That is a profile modification done in the field with specific CBN wheel.

The Kasco 4 deg (4/30) is the only 4deg variant currently produced.

Hope that clears up any questions.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Thank You Sponsors!