iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sayings and Expressions

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 11, 2021, 11:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

A southern expression, kind of with a "Deliverance" type of attitude.  

"You ain't from around here, are ya?"  
Loosely translated as you just said something stupid, or your clothes look stupid, or you just plain look stupid, and since us folks from around here don't fit into any of those categories, then you can't be from around here, so please leave. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Hotter than fish grease in July.  - She should that that as a compliment, but who knows these days. 

Wait a second - this is the FORESTRY FORUM, we are on page 2 and nobody said.

Tighter than bark on a tree!!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Not sure if ive crossed a line with yellowhammer or if its just coincidence. Not out to ruffle any feathers if so. 
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: YellowHammer on November 11, 2021, 09:16:29 PM
A southern expression, kind of with a "Deliverance" type of attitude.  

"You ain't from around here, are ya?"  
Loosely translated as you just said something stupid, or your clothes look stupid, or you just plain look stupid, and since us folks from around here don't fit into any of those categories, then you can't be from around here, so please leave.
This one reminds of one I use on some local folks when they say something dumb:

"How Long have you been livin' here exactly?"
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Ljohnsaw

Hmm, haven't seen...

Not playing with a full deck (of cards)
Not the sharpest tack in the box
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WV Sawmiller

Dog tired

Raining cats and dogs

Rarin' t'go

Plumb wore out

Flatter than a flitter

Uglier than a mud fence

Raining like a cow pithing on a flat rock

Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey - a brass monkey was a plate or holder on a naval sailing vessel where the cannonballs were stacked. If it got cold enough they would contract so much they would fall off.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

He's half a bubble out of plumb. 

If his brains were dynamite he wouldn't have enough to blow his nose. 

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

HemlockKing

Colder than a witches left teat
A1

Tacotodd

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 11, 2021, 10:51:24 PM
   Dog tired

Raining cats and dogs

Rarin' t'go

Plumb wore out

Flatter than a flitter

Uglier than a mud fence

Raining like a cow pithing on a flat rock

Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey - a brass monkey was a plate or holder on a naval sailing vessel where the cannonballs were stacked. If it got cold enough they would contract so much they would fall off.
The balls & brass monkey I think more accurately described the VERY different expansion/contraction rate of those two very dissimilar metals. I first heard this explanation (given to me) from someone that was a customer of mine and he is a very likable guy.

I hope I ain't (to) late to the party.
Trying harder everyday.

YellowHammer

Quote from: mike_belben on November 11, 2021, 10:03:14 PM
Not sure if ive crossed a line with yellowhammer or if its just coincidence. Not out to ruffle any feathers if so.
Not hardly, "Youse good people" which is shorthand for it means you're a good person and so is your family, at least from what we know of, so you can be trusted.

When someone is coming to drop by for a welcome chat, or even a call on the phone, they are greeted by a warm "What's up Cuz?" because some areas and townships are populated by their extended family, and that's a way of saying, "How are you doing, you're just like family" and I'm not gonna "Rare up on Ya".  However, some folks say "How's it going, Brother" and generally, this is being too familiar, and even brothers don't say that, it's generally reserved for people in the same church congregation or very close friends.  Sometimes if its taken too far, and the other person will "hackle up" and say "We ain't brothers, but what do you want."

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 11, 2021, 10:05:13 PMThis one reminds of one I use on some local folks when they say something dumb:

"How Long have you been livin' here exactly?"
Yeah, that sounds about the same.

Now here's one of the deep south I'n not sure how far it extends outward.  I'd like to know.  It's simply said "Pure D" with an emphasis on the "D" and a little volume.  I remember I was in Japan one day, and I said it to someone at a restaurant about something he just said, and the person next to me stood up, came over, and broke into a big smile and said "You must be from Alabam, I am too, and hadn't heard that since I been there."  It also covers south Tennessee and I've even heard it in the backwoods of Kaintuck, but not beyond.  Some folks mistakenly think it's saying "Purty" but they ain't from around here.  Does anybody know what this means?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SawyerTed

Ink pin was mentioned earlier.  
Straight pin, pig pin, dog pin, safety pin.  It's all the same but the context is different.  

Far, either a campfar or a long distance

Tar, a hot black sticky substance on our heels here in NC, the black round thing on the wheel of your truck, or the one down the road they just put up for cell phones

Right over yonder is closer than over yonder.  Yonder the direction I'm pointing is there.

Fixn' to, getting ready to do something

Pert near, came very close to

A hosepipe is connected to the spicket (spigot)  Hosepipe versus Hoes used for choppin' out 'baccer. 

Your'n, his'n, and our'n.  Yours, his and ours

Might could, as in "I might could come help saw on Saturday."  I may be able to help on Saturday.

How could we miss this one!  "KISS MY GRITS!" 

Hold your horses

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Tacotodd

I'm a purty easy ta get long with type o guy "I" think. My wife might disagree, but datts anudder story ::)
Trying harder everyday.

JJ

mike_belben

I had to explain lets go brandon when my kids came home sayin it yesterday.  I forgot might could.  

Is that billy hiding in the burnt house?   Now ah dunno.. It might could be.

My wifes friend maxine is very country. 60ish.. Only ever lived here on farms with momma daddy mamaw papaw and 500 other relatives.  She has a "one butt kitchen" meaning only hers fits in it.  Her and my wife call each other heifer so whenever we visit i walk up to her for the customary hello hug and yell 'whaddup heifer!?' With a huge grin.  She goes crosseyed for a second every time before laughing. 

I will have to tune my ears for Pure D, dont think ive heard it.  The best mountain talkers are 70+ and usually lack teeth so it really takes listening close.  When i first landed id hear 10% words and the rest gibberish.  Now its about 85% and only once in a while i hafta say do what?

Thanks for the kind words yella hammer.  Preciate'cha buddy  ;)  ive got a please leave story for later when my fingers warm up.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

You'uns - seems to be common in the Eastern Ohio/WV Northern Panhandle/Western PA near the Steubenville Ohio area.

"Y'all or you all" - note this is singular or plural

"Youse guys" - seems to be more NJ but maybe bleeding over into NYC a bit.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Cedarman

I heard this when I was a kid a lot
when someone smashed a finger.  "That looks like it hurt worse than slidin down a razor blade into a pool of alcohol."
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Gere Flewelling

Some old central New Hampshire sayings.
-Hog Wrassle- A town get together /dance
-He's got a hitch in his git-along-  someone walking with a limp
-I don't understand all I know about it-  Mechanic saying when you just cant figure out what should be a simple solution.
-He acts like he has air in his hydraulics- Equipment operators that really aren't operators or very nervous person waiting in line.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

SawyerTed

My mom and I were watching one of the beauty pageants and I was oooing and ahhing over the contestants.

Mom asked, "Do you really like those mule eating briars smiles?"

I couldn't tell her that's not what I'm looking at, now could I?

Bradm

It's a good day to be a duck. - I've been stuck working outside all day in the rain.

Took a long walk off a short pier. - Taking a very round about direction to arrive at a very simple conclusion or observation.

Gonna go hit the dig. - This involved no hitting nor any digging.  This could be a very local saying, but it meant to head to town and cruise the main (Dundas) street to see who's out and maybe find a race or three than go shoot some stick.

If someone is talking to Murphy, tell him he left his pet gremlins behind at my shop last time he was around.

When trying to fix something, if what you're doing doesn't work, call it a name.  If that doesn't work, call it another name.  If still not working, get the biggest hammer you can find.  Gasoline and a match should only be considered as a last resort.

Tacotodd

I'm fittin-ta git me some o-dat-der dynimite ::)!

And to think, I majored in English :D
Trying harder everyday.

SawyerTed

That's like putting perfume on a pig.  

That is like putting an elevator in an out house. 

WV Sawmiller

I thought is was "Lipstick on a pig" not perfume but either works.

"Take it with a grain of salt" - be a little skeptical

"He/She acts like he/she has a corncob up his/her butt" - not complimentary.

Howard Green

Percy

Sharp nas a marble

The gates are down and the lights are flashing....but the train aint coming

If brains was gasoline, he couldn't power a fleas motorcycle around the inside of a cherio.

Ugly as a mud fence

He's got one wheel in the sand
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Tacotodd

As a kid (4-5yo) dad told me "boy, if brains was gunpowder, you couldn't blow your nose"! 

It hurt but made me think from then on. Now I respect what he did!
Trying harder everyday.

Southside

Next time you are driving by the house, drive by the house....

Come again when you can't stay so long....

:D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!