iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to keep skidded logs clean for saw

Started by livemusic, December 07, 2021, 08:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

Regarding harvesting for firewood... If you skid logs, how do you keep them clean enough to buck them with the saw? Not worry about it or is there a method? Lay the end touching the ground into a bonnet or something?
~~~
Bill

mike_belben

pile them for a while and let the rain wash them. bark will fall off in time. then cut it up.  
Praise The Lord

Old Greenhorn

Well for me, I try to keep the front of the log as high as I can, but log shape has an effect on which part drags and no matter who you try, given the variations in ground you skid over, the log can come in in various stages of 'messed up.' :D SO I try to adapt my bucking methods to avoid the dirt or cut so that the saw will be pushing the dirt out of the cut rather than into it. SO cutting down when the dirt is on the near side, or cutting up when the dirt is on the far side or doing a partial of each can work. Sometimes I plunge through the center of the log and cut up then down, or vice versa depending on dirt and compression and tension in the log. I accept that some dirt is 'part of the job' and frankly on 'clean wood' such as I cut this afternoon, I still see a spark fly out now and then for no apparent reason, halfway up the tree on something newly fallen. I don't see a way to eliminate it, so I don't worry about it. I am good at sharpening. OTOH avoiding rocks is still a serious concern and I do look all the time for any rocks that got driven into a skidded log. I bucked up some sugar maple last week that had a 10 penny nail with a ball of nylon twine around it and some aluminum wire to hold it all in place. It was 2" inside the outer sapwood, so maybe 25 years ago? I didn't hit it with the saw, but found the black stain when splitting and investigated (splitting wood, as we all know, can be pretty boring). No damage to anything, but a fun little find inside the tree. If I had hit that nail (missed it by 2") it would have been just as bad as cutting a stone apart.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

Get the butt end as high as you can and drag it out top and all if you can. 

moodnacreek

Skid on frozen ground after a snow.  A forwarder in a perfect world.

upnut

We usually loosely measure and mark our cuts then chip away any dirty bark with a sharp, light boys axe. 

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

kantuckid

When possible, take a utility trailer or similar into the woods and locate near the work place, cut and toss into trailer after splitting on same site. I've thrown wood as far as my body allowed thus my trailers fenders are banged up from misses. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

upnut

Friend of mine killed their pet goat with an errant toss, tanned his hide and still have it, so there's that.... :D

Just glad my Dad didn't think of that when i hit him square in the back with a mighty heave... 8)

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

sublime68charger

I have a arch on the back of my ATV which able to get the front part  of the log up off the ground.  Also have a cutting deck I pull the logs up  on to with the ATV and then when blocking them I can cut all the way threw with out putting the saw blade in the ground.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

cutterboy

Hey 68charger, I love your cutting deck. That is a great idea.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

sublime68charger

sublime68charger

Quote from: cutterboy on December 10, 2021, 04:56:54 PM
Hey 68charger, I love your cutting deck. That is a great idea.
I have built 2 of them now.  I have 1 next to my wood boiler its had 3 years of weather and abuse now and probaly on its last go around.
2nd one is down in my wood land at a central point that I pull logs to cut them up at.
its quick easy to make and I can pull it around with the ATV to a different spot if needed.
It works keep the saw blade up out of the dirt and able to get blocks cut with out having to roll the log over to finish them off.  also gives you marked off cutting spots for each block makes your block all the same length.  Well cept for the ends where you free hand mark those to cut off.  Though if following the preset marks you sometime end up cutting a knot or limb not quite where you want to but can always cheat it 1 way or the other the 2x4 cross braces due have some saw marks in them LOL!

sublime68charger

atv goes right up on the deck most times been a time or 2 that I have spun out trying to pull a bigger log then I should have or its got wedged in the board you just cut that block off and re hook and go again.  can always make the wood log smaller and pull what you can to the deck or up onto the deck. Hook the next section and go again.  

My 2nd ATV cutting deck has a wooded ramp leading up onto it and if its a little wet its slippery but If I have good speed on approach i can make it up the ramp and get front tires on the deck with better grip before the rear end spins out on the ramp.

I'll get a pic next time I'm down in the wood land where that deck is at.

livemusic

When you mentioned the cutting deck, I was intrigued and then you showed pics and explained, it's great!

If I were to use a log arch, I would need to widen some turns in my trails! I dunno how much it affects turning radius.
~~~
Bill

Ed_K

Here's an idea to add to that deck. Find or build a lift like they use for motorcycles to put under it then when the blocks are cut lift the deck to waist height to carry to the splitter  ;) .
Ed K

mike_belben

Skidding onto a motorcycle lift that raises onto a dead or live deck infeeding even a hillbilly manual processor like mine would be great.  It really would take the labor out and make it fun. 
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on December 11, 2021, 10:45:56 AM
Skidding onto a motorcycle lift that raises onto a dead or live deck infeeding even a hillbilly manual processor like mine would be great.  It really would take the labor out and make it fun.
Build yourself a slasher saw from an old sawmill mandrel and an insert saw that won't run right [on a mill]. You probably got enough junk to do it. If not I do.

charles mann

Buck on site, if that is not possible, log arch or just not worry about it and hose it off/let nature wash it off. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Hogdaddy

Hard to do... but lift up high and TRY to keep them out of the mud. Mostly impossible to do in hills and hollers... just keep a file handy.
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

mike_belben

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 11, 2021, 08:50:11 PM
Quote from: mike_belben on December 11, 2021, 10:45:56 AM
Skidding onto a motorcycle lift that raises onto a dead or live deck infeeding even a hillbilly manual processor like mine would be great.  It really would take the labor out and make it fun.
Build yourself a slasher saw from an old sawmill mandrel and an insert saw that won't run right [on a mill]. You probably got enough junk to do it. If not I do.
People decided circle blades are art-deco fodder at some point and started wanting more for them rusted and bent with no inserts than they cost oiled and new.  Ive not had much luck getting old circles and really have tried!  Ive got some old small blades but they go on a huge hub.  
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Mike, most of those old saws are worth little. To have one to use for cut off it must be one of the 4 patterns still made so you can buy teeth. Somebody once made angled teeth to cross cut with a 2 1/2 pattern mill [rip] saw.  You used to see circle saw firewood processors using these as opposed to an expensive, heavy and thick slasher saw blade. The trick is to run them cool.

mike_belben

if you got one you wanna do some tradin on you just holler
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!