iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt 40 Cat Diesel Head gasket

Started by nopoint, December 14, 2021, 04:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopoint

The head gasket just failed on my Lt40 with the Caterpillar c1.5 diesel. It's pressurizing radiator and have seepage out of the side of the head on the number 2 cylinder. It's got some 11,xxx hours on it. Anyone have any specific advice on this engine before I tear into it? No mechanic but have done similar stuff a few times. Neighbor who is a mechanic for Deere will probably give me a hand if I get in over my head. He gave me a recommendation on a shop to take the head to. Google hasn't been too useful on this engine as evidently cat makes a c15 that is much more popular. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

Southside

Is that a Perkapiller?  Run some searches on here for both names, I know there are threads regarding that job.  I want to say @MartyParsons has posted a complete job one time as there are some additional things you should check and address while in there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Ko Yeah, C15 info won't help you much😂 The Cat on WM sawmills is actually a Perkins engine, I don't know which model though.
Too many irons in the fire

nopoint

Well a bit of an update. Got the head and associated parts off the mill tonight. Went fairly well, wanted to take advantage of the warm weather we have been having. One of the head bolts under the rocker cover was broken off, another bolt nearby wasn't nearly as tight as the rest. Nice to tear something apart and easily see a problem. Didn't have time to get the gasket off and inspect the head throughly yet. I will do some more digging on the Perkins side of things. Then try calling Cat. Thanks for the pointers.

customsawyer

Check with Marty or WM and make sure you get the right head gasket. I can't remember the specifics but there are certain things you want to look for when getting the right head gasket. I know that Cat got to replace the head gasket three times under warranty on one of my mills.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

jpassardi

You may need to machine the deck of the head and closely check the block's deck. With loose fasteners I'd replace all the head bolts/studs also. Not sure if they're torque to yield.
11,000 hours is impressive - good luck getting that with a small gas engine.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

slider

Try to search Marty,s post on this it saved me from loosing an engine . Mine failed on a lifter gallery instead of where it it goes into the water. It never skipped but it was filling the oil with c
carbon deposits . 
One lifter gallery was full of crud i had to use vice grips to get the push rod out.
If that is the case pull the pan and clean it out. I also welded a new bung in the center of the pan so all of the oil will drain. 
al glenn

mapleack

"headless cat"  I believe that link will be the thread you want. 
-Andy
Norwood LM2000

OutlawB52

Call Marty at Shad Gap PA . He worked on mine and he is also a diesel mechanic .

nopoint

Thanks all for the advice. Got the parts from cat on Friday and got it going yesterday.everything went back together well and seems to be working well. Head checked out fine. New gasket and bolts. Wanted to replace lower radiator hose but ended up with upper instead.  Getting parts ordered was not exactly seamless. Closest cat dealer is 75 miles away and roads were not the best. Although did get me to do a bit of Christmas shopping...
Thanks everyone

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!